RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Mid September trip to north California

Is the timing for a trip from Minnesota to north California important? I would like to leave mid to late September and be gone for at least a month. How late are the campgrounds and parks open? Shouldn't be any colder there than it is in Minnesota.
My wife is afraid that it is too late in the year for the trip. After we arrived to northern California we intend to follow south along the coast and eventually work our way over to Phoenix Az. and then back to Minnesota to face the cold winter. (should be back before Halloween)
The trip is all sightseeing oriented, not any particular place to be. She would like to see the giant redwoods and whatever else is touristy over the route. I suppose the north & west route would be through Montana or Wyoming.
I do not see a problem with the trip, I have to convince the wife though.
Thanks for any help

Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbe111 View Post
Is the timing for a trip from Minnesota to north California important? I would like to leave mid to late September and be gone for at least a month. How late are the campgrounds and parks open? Shouldn't be any colder there than it is in Minnesota.

My wife is afraid that it is too late in the year for the trip. After we arrived to northern California we intend to follow south along the coast and eventually work our way over to Phoenix Az. and then back to Minnesota to face the cold winter. (should be back before Halloween)

The trip is all sightseeing oriented, not any particular place to be. She would like to see the giant redwoods and whatever else is touristy over the route. I suppose the north & west route would be through Montana or Wyoming.
I do not see a problem with the trip, I have to convince the wife though.
Thanks for any help

September and October are the two best months to travel, IMHO.

On the way out I'd try to make a run Up or Down the Rockies and possibly see the Aspen as they Turn Gold - https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colo...pens/i-tsVRkXg - The PCH will be Great in late September, early October - https://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm - and if you are able to make it all the way down to Sequoia - Kings Canyon NP - https://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm - Should be a Great Trip.

Best of luck,

Weather averages - https://www.usclimatedata.com/

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

Thanks for all of the links, that is what I need; Proof that it can be done and fun!
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:07 PM   #4

Why not stay in Arizona for the winter? Sounds like you might be retired. What's the rush?

Sept. & Oct. will be a nice trip and yes, places to stay will be open.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #5

The weather is going to be fine. Where true may run into problems is on the west coast that’s fire season so you will want to be looking out for that.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #6

I think you will have enough time to visit many places that interest you between MN and the West Coast. Also Redwood NP along the CA coast (Sequoia Sempervirens) as well as Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP's in the Sierras (Sequoia Giganteum), two different species of redwoods. There are also smaller groves of these along the coast and in the Sierras. And there is Yosemite NP and others in CA.

Good planning will provide a lot of enjoyment and the ability to visit many beautiful places on your trip.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #7

Fall is an awesome time to visit California coast. Redwoods, Sonoma, Napa, Bodega Bay, Pt. Reyes, Sausalitio, Golden Gate, all north of San Francisco. Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Paso Robles, Morrow Bay, Pismo Beach (camp on the beach), Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, Huntington Beach, Orange County coastline, Oceanside and San Diego. Weather likely to be perfect unless you donít like sunshine an 70F, cloudless skies, ocean and wine country. Highway 1 or 101. Mountains, Deserts and more inland if you get tired of the coast.

knit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
california