Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Milwaukee to Yellowstone/Jackson to Seattle

Planning to take this trip in late Sept or Early Oct. Is that too late to avoid possible snowy weather ? Want to do max sightseeing. Also, I have read posts re route going to Yellowstone but nothing from there (or from Jackson,Wy) to Seattle. Towing a 32ft 5ver w/2500 Silverado Duramax.
Would appreciate your advice re weather conditions, routes, campgrounds or whatever else would be helpful.
Bob'nEv

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You are perhaps going to run into a little snow, I've run into more than 4 inches in late July one year! It'll melt, just stay in place until it clears up. From Jackson, you've got an issue. The 'short' way west out of Jackson is over Teton Pass. It's 10% grade and pretty tough, they limit the size of trucks allowed on it. You can go SW on US 26 and follow the Snake River valley. It's much more level, but more miles and sort of curvy. From Idaho Falls you can go north on I-15 to I-90 west to Missoula MT and Seattle. That's how I did it last summer. The other option is go back through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone and take US 287 to I-90. Again, this route mostly follows the Madison River and is mostly flat. Third choice is US 89 through YNP to Livingston, MT and I-90. It's probably the fastest from Yellowstone.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Have you thought about going to Jackson before going to Yellowstone?

Take I-80 west to Ogallala, NE ... US-26 to Moran Jct to enter the Teton National Park from the south east ... US-26 is a very historic route ... it parallels the Oregon trail ... there are places where you can still see the wagon ruts.

Ogallala was the end of the Chisolm trail, you pass Chimney Rock, and Scotts Bluff to name three

Just a thought

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Gee View Post
Planning to take this trip in late Sept or Early Oct. Is that too late to avoid possible snowy weather ? Want to do max sightseeing. Also, I have read posts re route going to Yellowstone but nothing from there (or from Jackson,Wy) to Seattle. Towing a 32ft 5ver w/2500 Silverado Duramax.
Would appreciate your advice re weather conditions, routes, campgrounds or whatever else would be helpful.
Bob'nEv
By the second week in September, Yellowstone lows average 30 degrees; Fishing Bridge (inside Yellowstone) closes the campground Sept 22 this year. We're there 9/14-9/18 and booked it before we checked the weather

I'm not sure what stays open out in town, but they seemed pricy to me.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post
By the second week in September, Yellowstone lows average 30 degrees; Fishing Bridge (inside Yellowstone) closes the campground Sept 22 this year. We're there 9/14-9/18 and booked it before we checked the weather

I'm not sure what stays open out in town, but they seemed pricy to me.
Thanks for the advice. Our departure date is getting earlier as I find out more about the weather. Haven't yet started to check campgrounds, so your info is very timely
Bee Gee
Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
In September, it might snow a bit, but it is melted hours after it falls. Yes, it gets down to the 30's at night, but during the day it will typically go up to 65 to 75. If you walk around a bit, you'll probably take your jacket off. It's a great time to be there, the crowds are down but the park's still open.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You are perhaps going to run into a little snow, I've run into more than 4 inches in late July one year! It'll melt, just stay in place until it clears up. From Jackson, you've got an issue. The 'short' way west out of Jackson is over Teton Pass. It's 10% grade and pretty tough, they limit the size of trucks allowed on it. You can go SW on US 26 and follow the Snake River valley. It's much more level, but more miles and sort of curvy. From Idaho Falls you can go north on I-15 to I-90 west to Missoula MT and Seattle. That's how I did it last summer. The other option is go back through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone and take US 287 to I-90. Again, this route mostly follows the Madison River and is mostly flat. Third choice is US 89 through YNP to Livingston, MT and I-90. It's probably the fastest from Yellowstone.
Thanks for the advice. Option three looks like a good route. It means doubling back thru the park, so I wonder if it is worth it to visit the Jackson Wy area. Any thoughts on that?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Jackson is a small town with a rich downtown. Lots of fancy shopping. The elk antler arches in the town park are photogenic, the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is fun to get a photo sitting on a saddle at the bar. The Elk Refuge Visitor's Center is nice to see what's available. If you've got kids (of any age) the Alpine Slide is a nice scenic trip up a mountain in a ski lift then down a trough on a sled where you control the speed. (Snow King Resort)

Bob & Donna
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

It's possible that SR-20's Washington Pass, the most scenic pass over the Cascades at 5200', will have snow. Highway 2 (Stevens Pass - 4200') will probably be OK and I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass - 3300') should be no problem.

Once you get here, getting out again (if you plan to do that before about mid-March) might be a problem.