Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

Minneapolis to Salt Lake City

Looking for best route from MSP to SLC that gives best roads and least mountains. Have a WH 22 gasser complete with the unresolved brake issue and want to minimize the mountain travel.

One option is to go via Sioux Falls, Rapid City to SLC.

Other option is via Des Moines, Lincoln, Cheyenne to SLC.

Both options are within 30 min of being the same distance.

Any comments on adverse road issues on one option vs the other?

Which is the best recommended route?

Thanks
NavlAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #2

Why would you put yourself, your family and others in danger with unresolved brake issues?

2004 Jeep Rubicon
ddz1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning from Mitchell, SD.

So....are ya just blastin through to SLC or looking to also experience a few enjoyable spots along the way?

Wife and I now full time around the country after retiring out of Duluth back in 05. Just left Mpls. and now visiting wife's family here in Mitchell before heading West.

If you're just shootin through to Utah from Mpls., take I-80 from DesMoines, otherwise take I-90 to visit and enjoy the Black Hills, Devils Tower, etc., and cut SW at Buffalo, WY, taking I-25 S. toward Casper and 220 SW to 287 down to Rawlins on I-80, then cont. W. to SLC.

If ya can....take your time....there's SO much to see. Enjoy.

Steve & Lynette
Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Black Hills

Yep - we're just blasting through to SLC for 2 days there, then on to Leeds, UT to begin a 30 day tour of national parks in AZ, UT, CO, and NM.

We just got back from the black hills with the grandkids 3 weeks ago so don't think we'll go I90, unless it's the best way to take my gasser through the mountains.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
If you're coming in to SLC on I-80 be very careful just past Park City on I-80, it's not a down hill road to have brake issues on. It's 9 miles of steady 6% grade. I usually by-pass this road and I live in the Salt Lake Valley. I go down Provo canyon, not as steep and a lot less traffic.
What you might want to do is get the Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers. It will tell you which highways have steep hills. It will also tell which of the smaller highways may be a problem for you based on grades, switch backs drop offs, etc. Well worth the money if you are concerned about steep grades going up or down.

Like someone else said, why would you come West with some long steep grades facing you with unresolved brake issues. Even in second gear coming down Parleys with an exhaust brake I still pump the brakes on my DP to slow down.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I did the I-80 eastbound run twice this year so far with one more run in September. So the climbs for me will be downhills for you on the way out.

You reach the highest point on I80 between Cheyenne and Laramie at 8640 ft. so expect a long downhill run after you see the Lincoln head at the rest area on your right.

In addition to Park City, I recall a downhill right into SLC.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #7

Test

Test
Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #8

Sorry about the "test" post above but have tried 2 times to post and keep getting nowhere.

Thanks for the suggestion about Provo Canyon. Will definately look into that.

BTW - thanks for the concern about the brakes issue to those who posted such. I do not have a current unresolved issue with the brakes. I was referring to the Workhorse interim recall for the Bosch brake issue.

I had all four rotors and calipers replaced last May after having two known overheating of brakes. In the last 3k miles have had no further issues with the brakes.

When I mentioned unresolved issues in my OP, I was referring to the Interim Recall since the fix, as I understand it, is underway by Bosch but is many months away from reaching my coach with the new parts. Therefore I consider the entire issue to still be unresolved. Until the new calipers are available, I drive along on brand new "exact copies" of the ones that failed on me last May.

Thanks again for your concerns.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

I drive this route annually

I suggest you follow this route

1) MN 60 through Worthington, MN to LeMars, IA
2) US 75 through Sioux City about 10 miles
3) US 77 to the bypass at Fremont, NE
4) US 30 to Grand Island, NE
5) US 281 south to I-80
5) I-80 West to SLC ...

As noted earlier there is a goodly descent just east of Laramie and between Park City and Salt Lake City

This all good two and/or four lane road ... there are bypasses around most of the cities

There are very nice State Recreation areas (big sites with electrical hookups) at Grand Island, NE and Gibbon, NE ... Cabellas has a very nice RV park at Sidney, NE

Plan your overnights in WY carefully ... they RV parks are pretty scarce once you leave Laramie

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote