Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Minnesota to Rome NY to warm weather

Having lent out son and daughter in law our rig for relocation purposes last summer and never having retrieved it last fall, we are embarking on a trip to retrieve it from the snow drifts and head south in it for a few months.
I feel confident that my son properly winterized everything. He got it out and started it up night before last.
So, I'll be looking for the smoothest, quickest (least traffic) way (I like playing Charles Kuralt) to Florida... what's new this trip? No set time to be back!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

Concord, I don't like a lot of heavy traffic or I95 in general so I would look at taking I90 west to I79 south to I70 west to I77 in Ohio and then head south. A word of caution, I90 in NY can get a lot of snow because of "lake effect" from Lake Erie so watch the weather. I90 is usually well maintained when not snowing. It's when the snow is coming down at 2 or 3" an hour that it gets dicey. Once you are 50 to 75 mile south of Lake Erie things usually improve considerably. I like I77 because there just a few cities to contend with. I usually take I485 west around Charlotte as that area always seems to have a lot of construction. At Columbia SC go east on I26 to I95 into Florida.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #3

You can also head south, down I 81, from Syracuse. Gets you away from the lakes.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #4

Once you get to Rome, NY, pick your way to I81 South to I 75 South. Depending where you're going to (assuming FL) there are other routes from I81, such as cutting over on I64 to I95. I81 will get you south the fastest.

I have taken 3 different routes to FL, I95, I81 to I75, or the I79 route to I77. Don't like the I95 around Washington due to too much traffic, unless you do the I81 to I64 and bypass DC. The I79 route takes you thru the mountains of WVA. This is my least favorite route. Depends on weather. You can go I90 to I75 to the west thru Ohio, and this isn't bad either. And amazing not that far out of the way. Again, check the weather and pick which route will keep you 4 wheels down.

I choose any of the 3 routes dependent on weather. I like the I81 route the best, and then cut down to FL on several routes depending on where you expect to land.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

Rome N.Y. to Florida

You didn’t identify where in Florida you’re heading, but....

Given where Rome is in respect to I-81, it’s a no brainer

I-81 South to I-66 East (next part avoids anything Washington)
to Hwy 17 South East to I-95 South (just outside Fredericksburg)
I-95 South all the way to Florida!
What could be simpler.....pretty much the flattest route too.

Hope you have reservations down here
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You didn’t identify where in Florida you’re heading, but....

Given where Rome is in respect to I-81, it’s a no brainer

I-81 South to I-66 East (next part avoids anything Washington)
to Hwy 17 South East to I-95 South (just outside Fredericksburg)
I-95 South all the way to Florida!
What could be simpler.....pretty much the flattest route too.

Hope you have reservations down here
Did you mean I81 to I64 East to I95 South to avoid Washington? Looks like I66 will drop you right off in DC. I64 gets you closer to Richmond.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll sure consider them when I get there.
Rory
Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

i agree with the traffic on I95 south of DC to richmond its terrible, avoid it. you could take 81 to Roanoke and then head south to richmond, and i95 that way. but watch the weather, 81 south gets fog and ice, and even though you are used to bad weather, they really aren't so when it snows in the southern states its terrible driving for all. there is also a "new " highway, from Roanoke down towards Myrtle Beach that was a nice route we drove a few years ago, it wasnt even on the map as a highway then that was very nice
Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the good suggestions! 12 to 8 in NY was a little rough, but once we got to I-81 things went very well. Winter chased us all the way to Florida. We are now in Sebastion inlet in FL, and summer is here! Am posing a picture of shoveling out my rig in the Adirondacks.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:15 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shoveling off the roof in the Adirondacks

Had to work a while to get the furnace to stay lit, then all went well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_201934.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	189696