Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Moab to Brice to Kanab via scenic hwy

Anyone driven from Moab to Brice to Kanab. We would be driving 191 from Moab to Blanding, 95 to 24 to 12 to 89 to Kanab. The map shows it all a scenic hwy. We have a 40' MH. I'm not to bothered by grades as we are used to I 70 thru Colorado. It looks do able to me

Also looking for overnight stops.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Subscribed - this is a route I would like to drive........

My Mountain Directory West indicated a one mile 12% grade between Escalente and Henrieville on Hwy 12. Plus a few 10-11% - that scared the wife....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #3

We've done that exact route many times with our 40' MH and it's an absolutely gorgeous drive. If you're used to Colorado this is no biggie. You'll have a few steep sections on Hwy 12 but they're short. The highways are very good. If you're comfortable with mountain driving you'll have no issues. We think I-70 in Colorado is a lot worse - probably because there's a lot of traffic and big semis pushing you along.

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended) the grades on Hwy 12 can be 8 to 12% range but are fairly short. The longest are south of Torry, UT. If you will be southbound to Bryce it 1-1/2 mi of 6%, then 1-1/2 mi of rolling uphill. After topping out the grade is back downhill at 6-8% for about 5 miles then eases to 4% for several miles. At this point you are at Boulder, UT. Between Boulder and Escalante there are several section of steep uphill and down - uo to 11% but not exceed 2 miles. Between Escalante and Henrieville there is 1 mile of 12%. Just east of Bryce there is 2 mi of 8% and just west of Bryce toward 89 is a 2-3 stretch of 6%.

Basically, it's not straight down all at once. Many, many RVers drive it. It just depends on your mountain driving comfort level. If you have time, stop in Escalante and spend a night or two to explore to both directions. Calf Creek Recreation area is a nice easy hike to a beautiful waterfall.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've done that exact route many times with our 40' MH and it's an absolutely gorgeous drive. If you're used to Colorado this is no biggie. You'll have a few steep sections on Hwy 12 but they're short. The highways are very good. If you're comfortable with mountain driving you'll have no issues. We think I-70 in Colorado is a lot worse - probably because there's a lot of traffic and big semis pushing you along.

According to the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' (highly recommended) the grades on Hwy 12 can be 8 to 12% range but are fairly short. The longest are south of Torry, UT. If you will be southbound to Bryce it 1-1/2 mi of 6%, then 1-1/2 mi of rolling uphill. After topping out the grade is back downhill at 6-8% for about 5 miles then eases to 4% for several miles. At this point you are at Boulder, UT. Between Boulder and Escalante there are several section of steep uphill and down - uo to 11% but not exceed 2 miles. Between Escalante and Henrieville there is 1 mile of 12%. Just east of Bryce there is 2 mi of 8% and just west of Bryce toward 89 is a 2-3 stretch of 6%.

Basically, it's not straight down all at once. Many, many RVers drive it. It just depends on your mountain driving comfort level. If you have time, stop in Escalante and spend a night or two to explore to both directions. Calf Creek Recreation area is a nice easy hike to a beautiful waterfall.
Thanks. How many days did you take for this route?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

I believe Hwy 12 between Capitol Reef Nat'l Park (Torrey) and Bryce Nat'l Park is approx. 150 miles or so - a day will do it but as suggested, stop mid-way and explore without your RV if you have time. Moab to Torrey can be done in a day or stop in Blanding and do day trips to Canyonlands Nat'l Park - Needles Unit and Newspaper Rock nearby and the other direction - Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument or Moki Dugway Rd. (not with the RV) and pick up Valley of the Gods drive to Mexican Hat and back to Blanding.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I believe Hwy 12 between Capitol Reef Nat'l Park (Torrey) and Bryce Nat'l Park is approx. 150 miles or so - a day will do it but as suggested, stop mid-way and explore without your RV if you have time. Moab to Torrey can be done in a day or stop in Blanding and do day trips to Canyonlands Nat'l Park - Needles Unit and Newspaper Rock nearby and the other direction - Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument or Moki Dugway Rd. (not with the RV) and pick up Valley of the Gods drive to Mexican Hat and back to Blanding.
Thanks for all your info