Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Moab to Bryce

We are planning to drive from Moab to Capitol Reef to Bryce.

US-191 to I-70 to UT-24 to UT-12

We had planned to make this a 2-day drive overnighting at Capitol Reef, but due to scheduling, we want to now do this in one day, knowing that we may miss out on some of the scenery inside Capitol Reef etc, but will enjoy the views from the road.

I know these roads require moderate speed and it's about 270 miles from Moab to Bryce on this route, so my question for those who have done this is: How long do you think it will take and/or, outside of the I-70 portion, what was your average speed? We will not be in a hurry that day, just want to get an early start, enjoy the ride, take some short breaks, and be able to arrive before dark this summer.

We will be in a 32-foot Class A gasser, so we know it will be slow on hills.

Thank you,

McGarrett

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
We are planning to drive from Moab to Capitol Reef to Bryce.

US-191 to I-70 to UT-24 to UT-12

We had planned to make this a 2-day drive overnighting at Capitol Reef, but due to scheduling, we want to now do this in one day, knowing that we may miss out on some of the scenery inside Capitol Reef etc, but will enjoy the views from the road.

I know these roads require moderate speed and it's about 270 miles from Moab to Bryce on this route, so my question for those who have done this is: How long do you think it will take and/or, outside of the I-70 portion, what was your average speed? We will not be in a hurry that day, just want to get an early start, enjoy the ride, take some short breaks, and be able to arrive before dark this summer.

We will be in a 32-foot Class A gasser, so we know it will be slow on hills.

Thank you,

McGarrett
UT 24 between Hanksville and Capital Reef has some very rough road with a lot of dips from settlement. It even has road signs stating such. I had to drive 40-45 on a lot of it. It is also very curvy and winding through CR. Too bad you can't spend a day at CR. There are a couple nice RV parks in Torrey. Hwy 12 is very scenic all the way to Bryce and beyond.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

The route you chose is very scenic but it will be slow, especially on Hwy 12.

If you want to make time, take I-70 further west to Hwy 89, go south to Hwy 12 and come in from the west....or I-70 to 24 at Salina to 62 to 89 and Hwy 12 from the west. Neither one of these will take you to Capitol Reef or Escalante. The scenery in this whole area is nice. You can't go wrong.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

The route you want to take is listed on GoogleMaps at 5h/55m by car--with a gas MH, I think you are going to be more like 8 hours, so keep that in mind. Also, there are some 14% grades on portions of 12 that will challenge your engine. But very scenic--for the navigator.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the information on this route. It was suggested to me that while the 24 & 12 drives are amazing, the roads are such that really only the navigator will be able to enjoy the views. Any comments?
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The route you chose is very scenic but it will be slow, especially on Hwy 12.

If you want to make time, take I-70 further west to Hwy 89, go south to Hwy 12 and come in from the west....or I-70 to 24 at Salina to 62 to 89 and Hwy 12 from the west. Neither one of these will take you to Capitol Reef or Escalante. The scenery in this whole area is nice. You can't go wrong.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #7

All I can say is that we both enjoyed the views of 24/12. You don't have to drive constantly. Pull over and take it all in. Also, Escalante has the most services - food/fuel. There a wonderful forest service campground at the top of Hwy 12 - the Capitol Reef end, called Singletree. Kodachrome State Park is a beauty. Calf Creek Falls is a very nice hike. Of course, there's also Bryce Nat'l Park. Lots to do along Hwy 12. Don't rush!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

enjoy capitol reef its awesome then take 12 to bryce . be sure and take your time on 12 and enjoy it .it is less than 120 miles to bryce so you will have plenty of time and still get there early