RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Moab to Colorado Springs

We are driving a 2005 38 ft Winnebago adventurer on a 2 month road trip, we will be towing a car. We need help deciding on the best route between Moab Utah and Colorado Springs. We will be traveling there in late July. We have enjoyed several extended road trip by car. This is our first extended RV trip and we need your assistance. Thanks

Johnchatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
My son went to Colorado NW CC and then worked in Mesa Verde last summer so we drove that route a few times.

191 to Monticello UT
491 to Cortez, CO
160 across CO to Walsenburg
25 to CO Springs

Pretty easy route. Wolf Creek pass is not back, just take it slow.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
421 miles by Interstate 70 to 25. 128 up the Colorado River is a nice alt route, or take a drive in the Toad.

But the 471 miles by RVThere's route is so much a nicer drive.

Stop in Dove Creek and get some Anasazi Beans, Visit Mesa Verde, and Pagosa Springs.
Maybe take a Toad side trip to the Royal George on hwy 50. So much to see.

The Train Ride out of Durango is well worth the time and cost. Or make a detour and go to Charma.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

One way is taking I-70 to CO24 - an extremely scenic route and you'll avoid the Denver mess.

Depending how you feel about some mountain driving (Wolf Creek Pass outside of Pagosa Springs), our favorite route would be south from Moab on 191 to 491 into Cortez (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park) then 160 to Durango (get up to Silverton via the train or driving your car) then over to Pagosa Springs (take time for a awesome soak in their extremely clean pools of varying temperatures overlooking the river). This is all easy driving.

Then you have to do Wolf Creek Pass and many, many RVers do it. It has multiple lanes so just stay in the right and take your time. (If you take I-70 you'll have to do the same) The rest of 160 is easy to I-25 and north to Colorado Springs. You could also stop at Grand Sand Dunes Nat'l Park.

You have to cross those majestic mountains to get to where you're going.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Moab to Colorado Springs

Thanks for your helpful response. Which route would less mountain driving entail? We have driven the I 70 in a car several years ago, but this rv is another matter since we are not experienced rv owners. Your experience and expertise is so helpful. We are so looking forward to this adventurer. It has been a dream for us for several years. Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #6

I am going from Moab north to I-70 then east to Denver and I-25 to Lakewood Co which is a SW suburb of Denver in late June
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

We did that last summer. Took 191 to 128 up to I-70 over to Grand Junction then down Rt-50 through Gunnison (stopped there for a couple nights) then up over Monarch Pass to 115 over to Colorado Springs.
Had plans to go the Black Canyon of the Gunnison but there was construction on 50 that would have made the backtrack trip a bit longer than we would have liked so we moved on.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #8

If you drive in the West you'll most likely have to drive mountains at some point. I would guess by the time you're finished with your trip you'll feel like a pro.

The whole area you'll be is so scenic no matter what way you take. It really depends on what you want to see along the way. It would be a shame to pass up some of the places when you're so near.

Just to give you a little reference:

Moab is 4,000' elevation. Colorado Springs is 6,000' elevation. In between the two you have big mountains.

I-70 you'll have the Eisenhower Tunnel area at 11,000' elevation and 12 miles of downhill at 5-6% grades.

24 west of Leadville you'll have 1.5 miles of 5-6% downhill and 3 mi of 6-7%.

160 at Wolf Creek Pass you'll have 8 mi of downhill at 6%.

All the above will naturally include uphills to get to the downhills.

We enjoy 24 and 160.... again, depends what you want to see enroute.

The above-mentioned Monarch Pass eastbound is at 11,300' elevation and you'd have 6% downhill for 10 miles after the uphill climb. It, too, is a very scenic way to go on Hwy 50. We like this route, also.

How are you getting to Moab? Where are you starting your trip?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #9

Thank you. I enjoy numbers, so I understand this explanation. We will be gone several months. Going to Ky for the Ark, Iowa for John Deer ( we live on a farmJ and Winnebago. SD for Badlands and another trip to Custer. ND for RNP and Medora. Cody and then my fav the Tetons. Antelope Island, Zion, Bryce, Moab CS, Dodge City, Ok, Branson and then back to NC. Looking forward to every minute. We have been on 2 bus trips and 2 extended road trips by car/ hotels to western USA. This is our first RV west trip. So we have a huge learning curve. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I would suggest purchasing the Mountain Directory West for RV, Truckers and Motorhome Drivers. It will give you a preview of what to expect on the route you decide ... including mile markers for % grades, etc. When I was planning our first RV trip out west in 2016, the good folks on IRV2 made that suggestion to me .... It was the best thing since sliced bread! We are taking another trip west this summer, so I will be referring to it constantly. Slow down and enjoy yourself!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Thanks! I will order it today! Hope you have a great adventure this summer. Where will you be going?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #12

A word of caution if you take I70 west thru Denver. Do not do the trip on a Friday afternoon going West or on Sunday afternoon going east. The traffic will be ridiculous as people try to get out of town on Friday and back in on Sunday. I learned the hard way. ON the good side, it is a beautiful ride.

ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado