Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Moab to Torrey Utah

Wonderful time in Moab so far. So many rocks to see.
Saturday morning moving to Torrey Utah for 1 nite. Question about route from Moab to Torrey. Google maps shows 191 back up to I70, west to x149 hwy 24 all the way into Torrey. What is this road like as far as grades and elevation changes. Remember PAC brake is not working on Monaco so descents are more difficult. Thanks again for the help.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

We did the opposite way earlier this year...Torrey to Moab. So going in the opposite direction:

From 70 to Hanksville on 24 was flat.

Between Hanksville and Caineville will be a little uphill for you.

Between Caineville and Torrey will be mostly uphill steep switchbacks (maybe a few downhills but mostly elevation gain).

The scenery between Caineville and Torrey is eerie. Almost other wordly.

The bigger problem for you is after Torrey. If you are headed to I15 there will be some steep downhills.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Idoco. We are going to Bryce and just stopping over in Torrey. So on west to Koosharem and south on 62, 22, 63. At least that is the plan.

ronspradley
Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
If you want to know about grades, do this with Google Earth.....

Select "Get Directions". In the "A" box enter your staring location (Moab, UT). In the "B" box enter where you are going (Torrey, UT).

Press "Get Directions"

On the resulting map right click on the route and select "Show Elevation Profile".

You'll get a really cool graph showing the elevation changes. And you can move a slider to see where, exactly, on the route what the elevation is.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Thanks Idoco. We are going to Bryce and just stopping over in Torrey. So on west to Koosharem and south on 62, 22, 63. At least that is the plan.
From Torrey, Hwy 12 to Bryce is waaaay more scenic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
If you want to know about grades, do this with Google Earth.....

Select "Get Directions". In the "A" box enter your staring location (Moab, UT). In the "B" box enter where you are going (Torrey, UT).

Press "Get Directions"

On the resulting map right click on the route and select "Show Elevation Profile".

You'll get a really cool graph showing the elevation changes. And you can move a slider to see where, exactly, on the route what the elevation is.

I do not have Google Earth. Can that be loaded on an Android tablet?

ronspradley
Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
From Torrey, Hwy 12 to Bryce is waaaay more scenic.
P

Scenic is good. What kind of road is 12? In 2011 I drove Gulfstream up 101 from San Francisco to middle of Oregon. Passenger said that road was scenic. I do not know. I was too busy driving to see the scenic. And now I drive alone so no passenger to get feedback from. I exaggerate but would like to know how much of 12 will I be able to see? Thanks for the feedback. Left from Austin area of Texas Sept 1st and have been to Santa Fe, Custer SD, Big Horn Battlefield, Yellowstone, Arches and Canyonlands. Amazing trip so far.

ronspradley
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:

ronspradley
YUP Easy.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
P

Scenic is good. What kind of road is 12? In 2011 I drove Gulfstream up 101 from San Francisco to middle of Oregon. Passenger said that road was scenic. I do not know. I was too busy driving to see the scenic. And now I drive alone so no passenger to get feedback from. I exaggerate but would like to know how much of 12 will I be able to see? Thanks for the feedback. Left from Austin area of Texas Sept 1st and have been to Santa Fe, Custer SD, Big Horn Battlefield, Yellowstone, Arches and Canyonlands. Amazing trip so far.

ronspradley
Stop or Slow Down - no real Hurry is there?

Beautiful drive it and RT 128 out of Moab are a couple of the Roads I've driven a Hundred plus miles to see again.

Just too good to Miss.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

On HWY 12 you will need to pay attention to the driving. Obviously need to do that at all times but on 12 some areas more than others. There are some pullout areas to stop and enjoy the views at your leisure

Moab to Torrey via I70/24 is no real problem a few steep hills once past Hanksville but nothing bad and most of them there is less downhill than up as you are going up in elevation a few twisty curveys but nothing like a mountain pass. Another option though it will take much longer is to go south out of Moab down to 95 and take it across to 24. Scenery is good, Natural Bridges NM, Lake Powell views. Yet another option is get up to 70 and instead of heading south to Hanksville on 24 head across the San Rafael Swell with great scenery and cut south to 24 on 72 come out by Loa and head east on 24 for 15 or so miles to Torrey. You will miss driving through Capital Reef but you will see the Swell which is great as well.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks again. Drove south thru Flaming Gorge from Green River to Vernal and that drive was excellent. The climb was gradual for the first part and then steeper but doable.. The descent into Vernal was very steep. Glad I was going down instead of up. And I will be trying to figure out how to get Google Earth at least on tablet, if not on my iPhone 5s. Phone screen is really to small for me so tablet would be better.

ronspradley
Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Drove south thru Flaming Gorge from Green River to Vernal and that drive was excellent. The climb was gradual for the first part and then steeper but doable.. The descent into Vernal was very steep. Glad I was going down instead of up.
If you drove 191 to Vernal you won't have a problem with Hwy 12. From Torrey you will have a steep downhill but 191 is worse. The southbound descent is 6%-8% From there are a few 1-2-miles sections of 8-10% and one descent between Escalante and Henrieville of a one mile of 12%. Since these are all short you really don't notice them except for the one from Torrey. It's a very popular RVing route. There are small towns to pull over and also pullouts. Once you descend from Torrey you will have panoramic views - nothing in your way but the wide open awesome scenery so you can't help but see this beautiful part of the country. Some people fret over it being narrow. It is a standard width of a two-lane road. There aren't many sections with wide shoulders but still, plenty of places to pull off in dedicated spots. If you're able to stay on the road you'll have no issues. We would never avoid it if in the area.

There's a very nice national forest campground on the east side of Hwy 12 just outside of Torrey called Singletree. It has very large sites.

Here's some information on it: https://www.visitutah.com/articles/t...enic-byway-12/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks twogypsies. Looking forward to the drive to Torrey and drive to Bryce.

ronspradley
Old 09-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:

ronspradley
No idea about Androids. There is an IOS version but it doesn’t do what the computer app does.