Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #1

Monarch Pass

Anyone taken the Monarch Pass going from Salida CO to Gunnison CO with a 40' pulling a toad? Looking at going both east to west and then back west to east this summer. Any advice appreciated.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Make sure your brakes are in good condition! Did that pass about 13 years ago when I had 34' Holiday Rambler gasser with small Geo Tracker toad. Very long up and down, close to 10 miles if I remember correctly. Tried to be very careful on the long descent using lower gear and using brakes only when necessary. However, when RPM's got to a certain level transmission would shift to higher gear which required use of brakes to slow down. By the time we got to the bottom, just lightly applying the brakes would cause steering wheel and column to shake pretty bad. After driving a while the brake rotors cooled down and shaking disappeared. When we got to Gunnison I had a shop check out my brakes and $100 later was told everything looked good and rotors were within specs. Gave me some peace of mind for the rest of or trip. Current diesel with exhaust brake should make my next trip over this pass a bit less nerving. Take your time, be careful and hope you enjoy your trip.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Full size semi trucks go over that pass on US50 every day of the year.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Made the trip East to West couple years ago 40' pulling a Jeep. Survived it without a functional Engine Brake. Just took it easy stabbing the brakes occasionally to keep my speed in check.
If my engine brake had been functioning like it is now would have been an easy Sunday drive.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #5

It is a very long and very steep but very doable with good equipment. Just don't push it. If there is any doubt you can always drive your toad over assuming there are two of you.

Yes it is a heavily used highway by all sorts of vehicles but it does require a little caution. I have seen more than one motorhome stopped with a pool of oil under it.

There is a nice curio shop at the summit where you can stop and take a stretch and there is also a tram ride you can take to the top of the mountain if you are interested. It is old but kind of neat.

Enjoy the trip, beautiful country.

Just noticed you are from Plano. We go to Gunnison from Flower Mound every summer and we bypass monarch by turning off in Walsenburg on 160 to Monte Vista and North on 285 to hwy 114 back to hwy 50 into Gunnison. This way you go over three passes rather than two but they are much easier pulls than Monarch. There is 18 miles of crooked roads just before you get to Hwy 50 .

Don't be leary of Monarch if that is the way you need or want to go. I am just offering an alternative. I didn't really care for all the traffic and stop lights in Pueblo.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

We crossed Monarch Pass both ways in 2016 with current rig pulling a toad with no issues. Monarch is higher than Vail pass & Wolf creek but I found both of them to be more taxing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Just noticed you are from Plano. We go to Gunnison from Flower Mound every summer and we bypass monarch by turning off in Walsenburg on 160 to Monte Vista and North on 285 to hwy 114 back to hwy 50 into Gunnison. This way you go over three passes rather than two but they are much easier pulls than Monarch. There is 18 miles of crooked roads just before you get to Hwy 50 .
Ditto this. I have done Monarch several times and it's doable but to me this is a better route. It's good roads and the crooked canyon part is scenic.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Done Monarch many times in out 40ft towing a jeep. not bad at all IMO. Note, the Thai restaurant in Poncha Springs is great and there is a shoulder to park on and walk across the street. It is on the corner of 285 and 50. Also, Sherpa Cafe in Gunny is not to be missed.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

Made the trip many times with all types of equipment and recently several times with the 43 foot MH and F150. We always stop at the top and enjoy either the cool weather, hot coca at the café and snow depending on the time of year. Just long from the West but very easy drive both ways.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #10

did it last year pulling my 22' car hauler. fist time doing any real mountain driving in the motor home. not bad at all just a little slow going up and down.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Monarch Pass

Just did it last week with a 37' gasser pulling a 2019 Equinox. It was steep for me at times in the beginning accent in the fog. If you a have had a few yrs under your belt I think you'll be fine. I had snow on the top. There is another pass between Gunnison and Montrose also similar not as long, that one had snow on the road.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As an aside, you can have these books so you know everything there is to know about all the MP's east or west. I have and check the west book, need to get the east one. Rather have book so I can plan trip, instead of in phone.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/shop/
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
As an aside, you can have these books so you know everything there is to know about all the MP's east or west. I have and check the west book, need to get the east one. Rather have book so I can plan trip, instead of in phone.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/shop/
The mountain directories are great and worth the money IMHO. They give you all the details of whatever MP your considering on your route.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did that trip last year, just pulling a 16' with a Polaris Razor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	245993