Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Montrose to Dinosaur CO

After Gunnison NP, we plan to head north to Dinosaur NM. We are looking for advice on the best route to avoid stressful roads balanced with nice scenery or places to see along the way. We welcome your suggestions of favorite places. We are heading back to Washington state by the first of June.

Thank you as always for your invaluable insight!!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post
After Gunnison NP, we plan to head north to Dinosaur NM. We are looking for advice on the best route to avoid stressful roads balanced with nice scenery or places to see along the way. We welcome your suggestions of favorite places. We are heading back to Washington state by the first of June.

No thoughts yet? Perhaps sharing what we're thinking...

We do have the mountain directory and the two routes we are considering are in there but would really appreciate real life perspectives.

We'd either head to Grand Rapids then north on 139 OR take 50 east/92/133/70/13/64. OR perhaps the least stressful (but boring?) would be Grand Rapids to 70 then 13 to 64.

We have one opinion from someone in the campground to avoid 139 but were not crazy about the description for 92. But that route is preferred because we thought the Curecanti area sounds beautiful.

Our main consideration is things to see and places to stay (scenic, cheap) but we don't want a route that is too stressful.

Help?
Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

We'd go your 50 east route. We did not like 139 at all. Going north might be different but the last time we came south on 139 the edges of the road were crumbling at the drop-offs. 133 is very scenic. It just depends on your level of being comfortable with curves, braking and just taking it slow. Those roads aren't heavily traveled so you will be able to take your time.

When in Gunnison definitely drive up to Taylor Park and Crested Butte!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #4

Still trying to get a handle on just what a stressful road might be. I just pump my destination into Google Maps, look at the chosen route, double check it on my Motor Carriers Atlas and go. But then, I'm very confident that my diesel dually can haul my toy hauler anywhere in the country.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Stressful to us is single narrow lane, minimal passing lanes, repeated steep up and down, steep and curved declines and any of the above with truck traffic especially!

Still learning our rig and discovering what we thought we knew isn't working on these Colorado mountains!

Thanks twogypsies, as always, for the input. We'd sure like to meet you some day - you've helped and encouraged us a lot. Send us a message if you'd be up for that!
Old 05-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnanne View Post

Couple stops I'd hope you will have made - Marble - RedStone - Maroon Bells - Rifle and Rifle Falls SP - if you go this way be sure to do the little park off I-70 along the Colorado River just North of Glenwood Springs.

If you were to Take the I-70 into Utah be sure to jump off and drive RT 128 along the Colorado River, might be My All Time Fav

So much to see so Little TIME!

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #7

Busskipper, do you recommend RT 128 with a 40'er pulling a toad ?

heatseaker
'05 Beaver Santiam C-9
'07 Jeep GC
and more stuff
heatseaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Couple stops I'd hope you will have made - Marble - RedStone - Maroon Bells - Rifle and Rifle Falls SP - if you go this way be sure to do the little park off I-70 along the Colorado River just North of Glenwood Springs.

If you were to Take the I-70 into Utah be sure to jump off and drive RT 128 along the Colorado River, might be My All Time Fav [emoji144]

So much to see so Little TIME!

Best of Luck,
THANK YOU! A couple of those were on our list but most were not. Either way, it's so good to have recommendations when you know nothing about an area!

We'll catch 128 when we head south next fall then!
Old 05-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Sure do.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #10

UT128 is a simple two-lane highway - flat. Not a biggie. Just about any highway can now be viewed on YouTube... just plug in the highway number. Keep in mind that many of the really scenic ones will have the YouTube created by a motorcyclist because that's what they like to drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote