Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
More info needed on traveling to Canada

Hi folks!

I was wondering if you could fill in some details for me on traveling across the border. Our big summer trip next year will be up the coast of New England and then up into Canada, to Quebec, Montreal, Georgian Bay and then back to the states via Niagara Falls. Can't wait!!

Anyway, I know we all need passports to get back into the states, right? Now, my boys are from my first marriage, and I had heard that I'll need to get some sort of letter signed by their father and notarized to take them out of the country. Anyone know more about that?

Also, we'll be traveling with two cats. What sort of documentation does one need for that? Is that something that one gets at one's vet?

Lastly, I was roaming through the Food forum a short while ago and came across a post from 2004 that said that one can't take food across the border. That they come in and go through the fridge. Is that accurate?

Thanks for your help! We are sooo looking forward to this trip, and I want to make sure we have all of this paperwork stuff done well in advance so it's not stressing us out last minute!


JanHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
KIX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 3,580
NOt having kids or pets I can't help with those issues.
As to food.........there are certain foods that cannot be taken in or out of Canada. The list of banned foods changes from time to time. It's usually stuff like chicken (even frozen), citrus, etc.

There is a website that has all the current info. Try Google.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
Ottawa's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 272
Depends on the ages of the children, but in general yes. You can get more info from both government sites. You will need to meet both immigration requirements. Each child will have to have it's own passport. Regarding the cats you will need a current rabies vaccination and a letter from a Vet that they are in good health. In all my crossings I have never been checked for the food, and has been stated above it changes from day to day. My view is do not travel across the border with a lot of fresh food and let them decide what they want to throw out.
2004 CRV
Brake Buddy Blue Ox Aventa II
Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 689
not likely that you are carrying any fire arms/ammo/tear gas but they are prohibited. If carrying any garden produce and asked if garden or store bought reply store bought. Check for prohibited foods prior to crossing. Check with vet as rabies shot must be within a certain time frame and a current med certificate issued within certain time frame prior to crossing
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
Sandman's Avatar
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 202
Insurance.. get a Canadian Insurance rider(and proof of it, card like registration) from your insurance company, mine is no charge.

Go to Canada every few years, never hassled going into Canada but coming home is a different story, no produce from Canada or dog food (includes PEI potatoes)

Have been asked for dog's papers but when the folder was pulled out they waved us off.. did have the 5er searched once coming home at Presque Isle ME.

And.. stop at the duty free store on the way home and bring back your limit of LaBatt's Blue.. your beer drinking friends will love you!

Fundy National Park in New Brunswick (between St John & Moncton) is great.. eat local clam rolls, wowzers!.. see the Moncton Bore, so cool..
Jeanie & Joe

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
Dan DeBruin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 268
Kid going into Canada

Just got back from taking my grandaughter to Canada for some hockey. Did not need a passport for her but did need her birth certificate and letter from Mother and Father giving you permission. Of course, I had my passport.

We have gone across the lake on our boat to Canada a couple of times also. We always got asked about cigarettes and alcohol in addition to any fresh food.

Have fun.

Dan DeBruin
Nellie the Newmar
1998 Duchstar
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
Monacoach's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,865
That time frame for rabies vaccinations is 30 days meaning technically you must wait at least 30 days after rabies shots before crossing border. Never heard of this being enforced. Anyhow by law you need proof of rabies shots to cross with pets and as mentioned in an earlier post a letter of good health couldn't hurt.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
Ray,IN's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,905
Here are two websites that you might find useful:
Go RVing : Canada's RV website about RVs for Canadian RVers
This is the main Canada Government website.
Two years ago we took two of our Grandchildren into Canada. I had a handy notebook containing all their required information for border crossings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Thank you so much for all of your information! I haven't had a chance to look into it yet because I've been focused on our next trip - Disney World for Christmas! I think we're a little insane to be going this time of year, but we're really looking forward to getting out in the RV again and also being someplace warmer!

Merry Christmas everyone!
JanHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
tncruiser's Avatar
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: May 2009
Location: kingston tn.
Posts: 973
you must have a passport to regain entry to US
some states issue an enhanced drivers licence which has
passport info imbedded in it
get back home may prove to be a bigger hassle than getting out
enjoy your trip but remember you are in a foreign country and thier
laws and your rights are not the same

just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 725
we went to canada last summer.we were beating are heads what to take and what not.not saying this is what to do,first relax ,animals & kids don't know about.but answer there ? take no guns but if u want pertection bear spray it must say bear spray.just pack enought food for a week they have stores.got searched in maine no big
deal just be cool if u start debaiting with them they'll tear your mh apart.
new rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
mhs4771's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western New York (summer) Sebring FL (winter)
Posts: 370
Common sense is the key. Answer the Custom Guards questions politely, don't go volenteering extra info. Cat require a current Rabies cert, have them in hand and if ask hand them to them, usually they will pass then. Not positive, but I do believe you will need the letter giving permission on the children. No fresh produce. We've been going back and forth for over 30 years, only had the Camper checked twice and that has been in the past few years, probably because of some alert. One Officer wanted to know where all the Illegal Aliens were, told him I left them in Canada. Relax and enjoy your trip.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yuma/Mexico info needed AkTrek Southwest Region 7 12-05-2008 08:15 AM
Coolant Info Needed Ecker Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 1 05-06-2008 08:57 AM
Auxiliary heater parts info needed 35U N8XV Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 04-14-2008 02:08 PM
East Harbor Site info needed.... Superslif North Central Region 5 01-01-2008 04:25 PM
OIL CHANGE INFO NEEDED OpaRon Cummins Engines 22 05-22-2007 05:48 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.