RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #1

Most Dangerous Interstates Highway in America

Having wondered across America several times, my wife and I chose the following road based on serious accidents observed per mile ‘ Not sure if statistics back us up, but we will never travel on it again: Interstate 10 from Florida to Texas

vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Actuality the most fatalities are on I-10 between Phoenix and LA in the Palm Springs area. It’s flat, long and straight so vehicles are traveling at 90 MPH and lots of semi’s.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #3

i-75 through the entire length of florida is a NASCAR training track. other than a horrible rad bed thru Louisiana and what seems like 62-lanes of traffic thru houston, san antonio and el paso we haven't encountered many problems on I–10.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontbuild View Post
Having wondered across America several times, my wife and I chose the following road based on serious accidents observed per mile ‘ Not sure if statistics back us up, but we will never travel on it again: Interstate 10 from Florida to Texas

LIFE
BUSINESS
NEWS
TV
ALL
Follow us on:
* Copyright © 2019 Insider Inc. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our
Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
and
Cookies Policy
Disclaimer

Commerce Policy

Made in NYC

The 10 most dangerous roads in America
Ciara Appelbaum Sep 17, 2018, 10:19 AM

Snapchat
Highway 1Highway 1
Highway 1 in Florida made the list. FloridaStock / Shutterstock
Although the consistent, unchanging open road can be relaxing, some roads require a bit more concentration.

While there are terrifying yet thrilling roads all over the world, there are plenty of roads that offer adventure right in the US.

From Alaska's Dalton Highway to Florida's Highway 1, these are the most dangerous roads in the US.

The Dalton Highway in Alaska
dalton highway alaska
This road has a 240-mile stretch without any kind of road-side services. Flickr/puliarfanita
Alaska's nightmarish Dalton Highway stretches some 400 miles through remote forests, tundras, and over the Yukon River.

What makes this drive extra scary is its 240-mile stretch with no gas stations, restaurants, hotels, or any other basic services. The road also contains multiple signs warning of steep grades and avalanches.

I-15 in Nevada
I-45 Nevada
A stretch of I-15 was named the most deadly stretch on road in the US. PixHound / Shutterstock
A 181-mile stretch of Interstate 15 between Las Vegas and Los Angeles was ranked as the most deadly stretch of road in the US in 2010. The study revealed that in 15 years alone, 1,069 people had perished on the road.

The Million Dollar Highway in Colorado
Million Dollar Highway
No guardrails in sight on Colorado's Million Dollar Highway. Jay Krishnan / Shutterstock
This stretch of US Route 550 traverses three 10,000-foot mountains passes, and winds across steep cliffs and hairpin curves, all without guardrails.

Local folklore says Colorado's Million Dollar Highway got its name because an early traveler said you'd have to pay her one million dollars to drive it again.

Highway 2 in Montana
Highway 2 Montana
Montana's Highway 2 is known for having long stretches of two-lane roads. Sue Smith / Shutterstock
Montana is known for being one of the most dangerous states to drive in, mostly because of its long stretches of highway in between towns. So if you have an accident, you're on your own, as it takes an average of 80 minutes for an ambulance to arrive

Highway 2 is particularly dangerous; it maintains a 70mph speed limit through mountainous roads. The road has proven to be so treacherous that Washington State recently spent $60 million to make the road safer.

The I-45 in Houston, Texas
Houston, Texas
I-45's most dangerous stretch is through Houston. Trong Nguyen / Shutterstock
Interstate 45 was ranked as the second-deadliest highway in the US in 2016 after analysts found that the highway averaged 56.5 fatal accidents per 100 miles of roadway. The most dangerous part of the route is in Houston, with 51 fatal wrecks from 2011 to 2015.

I-10 in Arizona
Interstate 10 Arizona
A 150-mile stretch through the desert is the most dangerous part of I-10. You Touch Pix of EuToch/ Shutterstock
The 150-mile stretch of Interstate 10 through Phoenix to the California border is particularly dangerous, sending drivers straight through the desert. 85 deaths in this stretch of road were reported in a single year, alone.

Interstate 4 in Florida
Interstate 4 Florida
I-4 was ranked as the deadliest interstate in the US. Javier Cruz Acosta / Shutterstock
Interstate 4 recently ranked as the most deadly interstate in the US. The 132-mile roadway has seen 1.41 deaths per mile in the last six years. The highway has also been in the top 10 most dangerous interstates for the past six years.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontbuild View Post

Well now you tell me!! We've been coast to coast on I 10 about six times. Still here to talk about it though.

I'm curious what route you are going to take instead of I 10.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

I 4 in Florida or also known as " Damnation Alley". Why? not because of snowbirds,or tourist, because Floridians think they can drive any speed where ever they want, and everybody else is in there way. You live in paradise,SLOW DOWN!! Enjoy the beautiful state!