RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Just remember that the unofficial speed limit through downtown Atlanta is 100 MPH, but you can get away with 110.

I live in Atlanta, if you plan on blasting through here at 110 in your motorhome please shoot me a private message with date and time as i'd love to watch that!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #30
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I live in Atlanta, if you plan on blasting through here at 110 in your motorhome please shoot me a private message with date and time as i'd love to watch that!!!
I am the same way. I would go straight through, but seriously doubt it will be anywhere close to speed limit.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #31
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I am the same way. I would go straight through, but seriously doubt it will be anywhere close to speed limit.
That's what we did today, straight through around noon. The traffic kept moving although it did drop to 25 in a few spots. Took about a half-hour on I-75. The signage was good although having a second person looking at signs does help.

Ray
Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #32

We've been driving through Atlanta for several years on our annual trek to Florida from northern Ohio. I haven't had any problems and I've kept my speed down to 65 mph. For the past two years, I've planned our trip so that we travel through Atlanta on a Sunday morning and have found that to be a "no brainer".
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #33

where are you coming from and going to?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #34

ATLANTA - Is not a fun place to Drive PERIOD.

Drove through, day before yesterday - It will be just Like California for ME - Fly In Only.

Honest, I have never seen so many Vehicles with Drivers who got their Driver's License at Wal*Mart when they were on sale.

Cars - Traffic - More Cars - Trucks - more Trucks - did I mention that everything is under construction!

More backups and then just to get you out fast the Speed limit is 75. -

In all the places I have ever driven that is the Worst.

BUT - Then I got to drive through/to DC on I-66 OMG - we need a lot more pavement or computer controlled Vehicles - -

Get me back into the Country. -

JMHO,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Motorhomes are allowed as are some trucks

Before going full time I lived in and later frequently traveled through both I-75 and I-85 in Atlanta. Trucks are allowed on the downtown portion of these roads if they have deliveries in the area. Otherwise, as noted, they have to travel the beltway around Atlanta. Motorhomes are allowed on the Atlanta portion.

Here is the issue. These roads are heavily traveled most hours of the day. As traffic increased the state widened the roads as much as possible but space was limited, so they narrowed and repainted the lanes to add more. Many drivers don't pay as much attention to the lane lines as they should and there are some curves, so some drivers are less attentive and frequently cross the lines. These lane width restrictions are the reason trucks were banned. I have no problem driving my RV through Atlanta but prefer to use the beltway when my destination allows. Some people still drive crazy but at lease there is more room to maneuver and traffic tends to move a bit faster.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #36

Downtown Atlanta

When signs refer to "TRUCKS" it is generally always implied that refers to Commercial Vehicles. Assuming there are 2 of you in the RV, just drive right thru Atlanta on the HOV lane and feel free to obey the speed limit (I recall 50mph?). If other HOV's don't like your speed, they can go around. But staying on the far left lane gives you a bit less "traffic distraction" because most all of the action will be on your right side. We have gone thru on the HOV a number of times with no problems. The police are more interested in speeders, impaired drivers, and breakdowns.
jimheiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I-75 Thru Downtown

Have 30' RV pulling Jeep (50' total length) and always go straight thru downtown. Too many trucks crawling on bypass.
dschultz424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #38

Atlanta

I do not know who told you semi trucks could not drive I75 through
atlanta. I see hundreds of them every time I go through Atlanta I drove my 40 foot motorhome I-75 through Atlanta it is a interstate highway with no restrictions like you are talking about semi trucks cannot drive in the part that requires a peach pass and they are restricted in some places from using the far left or fast lane but they do it any way. you will have no problems go south
devildog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #39

Straight thru

Lived 40 miles south of Atlanta 15 years and most RV trips sent us north thru ATL. Rv was a 40' DP pulling a toad. Experience left me with this: drive thru ATL as often as possible at other than rush hour. Since my bride was always with me, I drove the HOV lane as I met the 2 or more requirement and I wasn't a truck over 6 tires. That afforded the opportunity to drive slower (65ish)than the other lanes were normally running(75+) ; spared me most of the time all the ingress/egress traffic. I was never stopped or even looked at a second time by traffic officers, I was spared the road rage so often displayed in the exit/entrance zones. Apparently, I was mostly out of everyone's way! Despite so many thinking they must run with the flow, doing so in that kind of traffic will increase your chances of collision exponentially during a panic event that so often occurs when you cannot allow safe space. Leave safe space there and 3 cars will jump into it!
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #40

I just came through ATL via 75 NB. Was Sunday around 9a. Still a lot of traffic, but as others have posted here, I just took the HOV (four of us in the coach) and did about 65 the entire time. Works great, and I exit HOV just before getting to the 285 loop interchange.

The problem I have with using the regular lanes is that the signage changes so frequently, after settling in a lane that one sign confirms is 75N, 1/2 mile later it turns into an exit-only lane. Very frustrating - especially in a carpet of traffic. HOV avoids all of that confusion.
erkme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #41

“Truck traffic is not allowed inside the perimeter of Atlanta. All trucks traveling on I-75, I-85, or I-20 must take I-285 around the city, except for the following reasons: ... A driver going to or from his residence located within the perimeter.”

note that "perimeter" means the city limits.

source: https://dps.georgia.gov/sites/dps.ge...20Highways.pdf
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM   #42

Being new to this state I have had occasion to ask our SO a question about the speed limit on the main side street near us. They didn't know. Then asked an ADA if I could put down our aging dog myself when the time comes. (A felony to kill or harm dogs here). Hemmed and hawed, suggested I contact an attorney.

But they magically know the law when they decide you're breaking it.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, tow

« Cities To Avoid | - »