RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
Take the beltway! Atlanta is the worse traffic in the US.
Quite often, the beltway is as bad or worse than 75/85. I usually trust whichever way Google Maps tells me is the lesser of evils.

TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 07:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
Take the beltway! Atlanta is the worse traffic in the US.
Disagree. My experience is 20 to 75 is much easier. There are hundreds of trucks that are on 75 within the perimeter. I'm sure some of them are local, but no one is enforcing. The left hand ramp from the beltway to 20W is also horrible.

Atlanta is no worse than any big city either. It's just that a lot of the folks on here transit it to Florida.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #59

Taken our 45' bus through there 4 times this year passing many police and never stopped by them. It's just busy and crazy drivers so drive accordingly.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
Disagree. My experience is 20 to 75 is much easier. There are hundreds of trucks that are on 75 within the perimeter. I'm sure some of them are local, but no one is enforcing. The left hand ramp from the beltway to 20W is also horrible.

Atlanta is no worse than any big city either. It's just that a lot of the folks on here transit it to Florida.
Agreed. I don't avoid ATL; I do everything in my power to avoid Nashville. A complete cluster in the North/South direction, with very few options if things go wrong, which they seem to quite often.
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #61

Always through on 75 in pace with traffic. We are 64 ft. one time I was sick and the wife drove through on her own with me in back.
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Motorhome on I-75 thru downtown Atlanta - Help!

Born and raised here. No problem on any of interstates thru Atlanta except traffic. If you get into downtown between 9am and 2 pm, the traffic is not too bad. I-285 is congested with trucks on Mondays and Fridays and own the road. Buses can drive in the HOV lanes on I-75 so assume RVs can also. A lot easier and faster. Good luck. Weekends not bad if no games. Just go through very early or very late. Happy trails.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
What is a "travel lane" and what is the width? I thought all interstates were supposed to be 12'.

Ray

Anywhere, anytime, in two or more lanes, any state..........leftmost is passing only -- go around and then GET OVER.

Three or more lanes.........rightmost is on and off, ok to travel, but easy to impede traffic.

ANY lane between the passing and on-off is a "travel lane".

(always "unless otherwise marked")

When in doubt......follow the big boys.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
We always drive straight through Atlanta, usually in the Diamond Lanes. 36ft Admiral with toad. Never had a problem. Not even nasty looks from the police.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:16 AM   #65

I remember a few years back when we arrived in downtown Atlanta at noon on a Friday afternoon with an ice storm on our tail. The mayor had just directed that businesses release people to get home. It was a panic situation as ice storms are a little rare in that town. I had to practice “defensive driving” but a 45,000 lb. Newmar does have some benefits, especially with no semi rigs on that part of the road.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitcharoo View Post
Since semi trucks can not be driven thru downtown Atlanta on I-75, they have to take the outer belt around Atlanta, I was wondering if the same rules apply to motor homes. I spoke with the Customer Service Department of the Atlanta Police Department and asked if a motor home could be driven thru downtown Atlanta on I-75. i knew I was in trouble when the person I posed the question to didn't know what a motorhome was. This person suggested I call the Georgia State Patrol. I called them and posed the same question. They didn't know either. They suggested I call the Department of Transportation. I called them and asked the same question. The person I talked to didn't know either but said they would find out. I was put on hold and when the person came back on the line they had forgotten what the specifics of the questions was but did remember it was something about a mobile home. I repeated the question and said it was a motor home, not a mobile home. They put me on hold again and when they came back on the line I was told they were pretty sure a motor home can be driven thru Atlanta on I-75.

Not wanting to get a ticket for being pretty sure I can drive a motor home thru downtown Atlanta on I-75 does anyone know for sure?
Just came through Atlanta yesterday. 45 FT tag axle with F-150 in tow. No problem. Timing does make a difference as traffic can get really bad!
tombuzze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #67

There is nothing good you can say about going through (I-75) or around (I-285) ATL. It's a disaster most of the time.
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we abandoned Hot-Lanta a lonnnnnng time ago when we travel between Chicago and SW Florida. instead we stay on I-65 to Montgomery and take US231 thru Dothan to I-10. on paper it's about 45-min longer but it's a LOT less stressful.
This is what we've done also. After getting stuck in a 3.5 hour traffic jam on I-75, I said enough is enough. Total gridlock, both on I-75 and the adjoining roads. I would rather spend an extra hour or two than go through that disaster again.
Atlanta's traffic is worse than Chicago's, and that's saying something.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
The key to understanding the law is commercial vehicles vs privately owned. Trucks are allowed it they are making a delivery inside the city. An RV comes under similar laws as a passenger car since it is privately owned. Of course you still have observe bridge weight limits and such.
gcsprayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Just drove our 38' RV through downtown Atlanta about 3 weeks ago and had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck and safe travels

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes, tow