Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I think it was the Full Throttle that burnt to the ground. Not sure ??

Russell
Your Right! I have Old Timers "CRS"

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #16

One place not to miss: The Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. It's near the badlands/wall drug area, but absolutely worth going. Word of caution: very very hard to get tour tickets (arrive before they open - tours are 6 people at a time and only so many per day!) and parking a rig at the launch facility will be a challenge - possible but a challenge. Toad suggested! Parking at the visitor center not so bad. (You get your tour tickets and time at visitor center and they tell you how to get to launch facility and you drive threre and meet your tour guide - usually retired Missileers!)

NPS site: Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
From our trip earlier this year (first chunk of this post): https://breighton.qseg.org/?p=21250

And if you have a toad, make sure to drive the Needles/Iron Mountain/Norbec/us-16a around Mt. Rushmore. If you have a large truck make sure you take any mirror extenders off before you go or you might loose them in the one way tunnels. (Kinda kidding but just barely - like by an inch or two max!). One of the tunnels is 8' 4" wide. I know my truck towing mirrors stick way out close to that (as they are allowed to be wider than body size limit of 8'6" in most states and on federal highways)

If you can get in, custer state park game lodge campground makes a fantastic base camp. Spent a week there and it's close to everything. No water hookups (electric only) but have nice bathhouses and fresh water to fill your tanks as you arrive and dump station you can use when you leave.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereed999 View Post
One place not to miss: The Minuteman Missile National Historic Site. It's near the badlands/wall drug area, but absolutely worth going. Word of caution: very very hard to get tour tickets (arrive before they open - tours are 6 people at a time and only so many per day!) and parking a rig at the launch facility will be a challenge - possible but a challenge. Toad suggested! Parking at the visitor center not so bad. (You get your tour tickets and time at visitor center and they tell you how to get to launch facility and you drive threre and meet your tour guide - usually retired Missileers!)

NPS site: Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
From our trip earlier this year (first chunk of this post): https://breighton.qseg.org/?p=21250

And if you have a toad, make sure to drive the Needles/Iron Mountain/Norbec/us-16a around Mt. Rushmore. If you have a large truck make sure you take any mirror extenders off before you go or you might loose them in the one way tunnels. (Kinda kidding but just barely - like by an inch or two max!). One of the tunnels is 8' 4" wide. I know my truck towing mirrors stick way out close to that (as they are allowed to be wider than body size limit of 8'6" in most states and on federal highways)

If you can get in, custer state park game lodge campground makes a fantastic base camp. Spent a week there and it's close to everything. No water hookups (electric only) but have nice bathhouses and fresh water to fill your tanks as you arrive and dump station you can use when you leave.
I used to work on those missiles. I spent many a night at "Delta-01" I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB (Rapid City) for 15 of the 20 years I was in the Air Force. My job was to align the missile to a known coordinate & load targeting data into the missiles guidance & control section "the brains just below the warhead" By all means take a tour. I worked with the ranger (Alonzo "Al" Hall) who is in charge of of that historic site.
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #18

Mount Rushmore do's and don'ts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
I used to work on those missiles. I spent many a night at "Delta-01" I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB (Rapid City) for 15 of the 20 years I was in the Air Force. My job was to align the missile to a known coordinate & load targeting data into the missiles guidance & control section "the brains just below the warhead" By all means take a tour. I worked with the ranger (Alonzo "Al" Hall) who is in charge of of that historic site.

I toured that silo on Ellsworth AFB on '10. I remember the sign on the blast door into the control room.
"Guaranteed delivery in 20 minutes. WORLDWIDE!"

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #19

custer state park should be a national park. take your time and enjoy the area. you will be amazed at what the whole area offers.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The two times we have been at Mt. Rushmore we stayed at the "KOA at Palmer Gulch". It's a great RV park and has nightly shuttle buses to take you the Mt. Rushmore for the evening show which make it real easy. They also have rental cars if you don't have a toad so you can explore the area.

Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote