Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mountain Directory Paper or iPad APP?

I was looking into the Mountain Directory and have found that it is available as an App on the iPad/iPhone for the same price as the paper version individually but $6.91 cheaper if you buy both apps together plus $3 more savings on shipping.

There are no reviews of the app on iTunes, has anyone given the app a try?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We have the paper one. It was about $15 at Camping World, which was much less than I saw on Amazon. It's been in the coach for years (it doesn't change). I can't think of any place in the East where I'd need it. I won't go out West without it.

Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had both paper copies and found them to be invaluable. Especially the West .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

My paper copy is worn to the point of needing replacement. Now that it is available for iPad I'll be purchasing it. First thing I'll do is compare it to the hard copy. And review it.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

I have had both for years and found them to be informative. I would buy again if they ever added other roads. Between the mountain directories and the truckers atlas I have traveled much of the US without problems.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
That's what I'm looking for - a comparison between paper and app

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
My paper copy is worn to the point of needing replacement. Now that it is available for iPad I'll be purchasing it. First thing I'll do is compare it to the hard copy. And review it.
I will be looking forward to your review.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
WDW

I just bought the iPhone/ iPad version and found it useful to plan on my "free time" when I happen to think about routes.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like paper guides, generally (they work without electricity, wherever I am, and with minimal "boot time"). However, I bought the Windows version for a laptop because I was already on the road and without reliable package delivery. The Windows version does not take up much hard disk space and works well. The laptop also runs Garmin's BaseCamp trip-planning software.

Mark
Old 09-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

We have never used the Mountain Directory. We do use the Allstays Truck and Travel. It opens in a mapping device and has a ton of info. Marks all the grades along our route. And if you haven't been there the east side of the country certainly has some serious grades to consider especially if you are on 2 lane roads.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #10

Just downloaded both east & west onto my iPad. Having retired out of So Cal, I took a quick look at a couple of roads I know well. Cajon Pass, Tehachapi grade & S22 going into Borrego Springs. Mountain Directory was dead on. Whether you go with the hard copy or the electronic, don't go without it. Especially out west.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Just downloaded both east & west onto my iPad. Having retired out of So Cal, I took a quick look at a couple of roads I know well. Cajon Pass, Tehachapi grade & S22 going into Borrego Springs. Mountain Directory was dead on. Whether you go with the hard copy or the electronic, don't go without it. Especially out west.
So now that you have had both paper and iPad, which would you chose if you had neither?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help me out here. What good is a mountain directory?

I've been all over the western states many times and there are mountains everywhere.

You just drive over them.

So why do you need a directory to tell you there is a mountain you have to go over?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Help me out here. What good is a mountain directory?

I've been all over the western states many times and there are mountains everywhere.

You just drive over them.

So why do you need a directory to tell you there is a mountain you have to go over?
All mountains are not created equal.

It tells you about the drive over the mountain and maybe you might want an alternative with less grades.

Things like:

Quote:
This hill is long and steepóuse caution in large or heavy vehicles. There are no escape ramps on this hill. This descent is as dangerous as many hills that do have escape ramps
or

Quote:
The first 3ľ miles are steady 6-7% grade with 45 and 50 mph curves. The grade eases for about ĺ mile and then goes back to 6-7% for almost 5 miles and then eases to 3-4% for 1 mile
Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #14

Just compared 2 passes I'm familiar with. Siskiyou Summit in N Cal & Grapevine in So Cal. Written descriptions for the two are identical in both the hard copy & the iPad. As far as which I prefer, I've been waiting for the directory to be Apple compatible. I like having it right there on the iPhone or iPad whether in the RV or dinghy.
As for why this is such a valuable tool, there are grades throughout the west that might be doable, but the prudent might not if they could avoid them. Quick example - going up to Big Bear Lake out of San Bernardino is a steep twisting mountain road. And heavily traveled. Pulled two different boats up & down it for decades. Going into Apple Valley from Big Bear the road is much steeper. Never would I trailer a boat on that route. The directory indicates that route is 8-16% grades for 7 miles with 10mph curves.