Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would buy a new S&T. I wish MS would listen!

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
I still use S & T to initially plan a trip as I haven't found anything better. I then pull up trip planner on Good Sam which ties in to my Magellan Good Sam multi stop GPS which keeps me away from low bridges. I like the addition of points of interest and camping spots as sometimes we wing it or just want to stop.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Do you have this MEGAFILE for S & T for the 2013 version ? It is a 29 MEG POI file that you copy to your documents and from there you choose which POI you do use and the save it on a different name.

POI Mega File - pushpin collections for truckers, RVers, and other travelers - Laptop GPS World

Old 02-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Over the last 12 years I have used just about every mapping program available. I found S&T to be very poor compared to DeLorme Street Atlas. Garmin's MapSource was the only program that got map updates often. MapSource has been replace by BaseCamp which has a very different user interface and most people can't figure it out and give up. Because BaseCamp and GPS maps are updated several times a year (free if you bought a Lifetime Maps GPS) and works with all my Garmin GPS's I figured out how to use it and have quit using all the others. I can do any routing functions I ever did before and I have current maps to work with. Just don't try to use the "Trip Planner" tool.
With a combination of BaseCamp and Google Earth I can plot a route in BaseCamp and view it in Google Earth with 3 key strokes. This gives me the ability to view the actual roads and campgrounds.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Over the last 12 years I have used just about every mapping program available. I found S&T to be very poor compared to DeLorme Street Atlas. Garmin's MapSource was the only program that got map updates often. MapSource has been replace by BaseCamp which has a very different user interface and most people can't figure it out and give up. Because BaseCamp and GPS maps are updated several times a year (free if you bought a Lifetime Maps GPS) and works with all my Garmin GPS's I figured out how to use it and have quit using all the others. I can do any routing functions I ever did before and I have current maps to work with. Just don't try to use the "Trip Planner" tool.
With a combination of BaseCamp and Google Earth I can plot a route in BaseCamp and view it in Google Earth with 3 key strokes. This gives me the ability to view the actual roads and campgrounds.

Denis - Thanks for the info sharing.

With BaseCamp, can you adjust speeds up/down? Plan start/stop and say a 20 min break every 4 hours, and add flexibility for end of day range? Can you provide preferred roads?

These are all features I grew accustomed too and found valuable with S&T.

TIA,
Smitty
Old 02-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

Yes I would buy another Microsoft S&T, would welcome it's return.

Today, I do my major trip planning with:
-M&S 2013 for high level planning and days of travel
> I adjust speeds to the slowest for all roads
> I avoid tolls
> I prefer highways over Interstates. But toggle back and forth
to see which stretches are best via Interstates
-Using the location area as a daily stopping point. I then go into three other sources to look for a place to stop.
1) Google maps. Enter in the town/city. Then search for nearby
RV parks or Campgrounds
2) Allstays - Looking near that location, and using the filtering
to our preferences for stopping, different for pass through
vs destination locations.
3) RV Parks Review

-While traveling during the day we:
>Enter the next destination location into our Garmin DEZL560.
Usually set to Auto vs RV, as we find the routing selections to \
have been spooky too many times via RV setting.
>We cross check the Garmin and M&S, and reference our Rand
McNally Truckers Atlas. And surprisingly we find the printed
maps have at times made us go back and alter our days travel
plans.
> As we travel if we ever have a question with an upcoming
Garmin direction. The DW also turns on her Google Mapping
navigation. When in conflict, we've found the Google Directions
to be more accurate then the Garmin.
> When getting close to our days stop location. We also turn on
voice directions with Google Directions.
> And, if directions were provided on the location we were going
to stop for the night. We have these screen scraped and saved
to bring up if unusual. (Some RV Parks and Campgrounds, do
a very good job of alerting customers to unusual situations. I
also make a point to ask the staff if I have called in advance
for a reservation, of any unusual directions that might be
involved. (A few times I've had Work Campers suggest an
alternate that may be a bit longer, but avoided traffic.))

We always travel with our Weatherbug Alert on, spot check weather for he roads we are traveling that day. And have altered travel plans or routes based upon weather conditions.

So again, yes to M&S 2013 use, and desire for MS to bring it back. And yes to being open to trying new things...

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Smity
Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
All Greek to me. BaseCamp gives me a headache and Google Earth takes me to my address but then what? If you will post some directions for establishing and editing routs I would be greatly appreciative. My trips are often 400 or 500 miles. I like to plot rest areas, fuel stops and overnight spots. One trip I have planed in S&T is almost 1900 miles with 11 stops. I can't find another program that gives me the latitude S&T does.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #21

DeLorme Street Atlas lets you plan as many stops and vias as you want. You don't need internet to use it. We've used it for over 20 years. When the route is finalized we transfer it to the Garmin just for a heads up on turns.

The reason we map out a route is that we typically don't drive interstates. We love the secondary roads and we love to explore as we travel. We don't just go from A to B. We use the vias to do this but we don't put in any stops for fuel, overnights, etc. To us that's way too much planning. We take it hour by hour. We stop when we want and when it's needed. This is the relaxing way of travel.

If we just drove interstates then we wouldn't even use a mapping program. What's the point?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
DeLorme Street Atlas lets you plan as many stops and vias as you want. You don't need internet to use it. We've used it for over 20 years. When the route is finalized we transfer it to the Garmin just for a heads up on turns.

The reason we map out a route is that we typically don't drive interstates. We love the secondary roads and we love to explore as we travel. We don't just go from A to B. We use the vias to do this but we don't put in any stops for fuel, overnights, etc. To us that's way too much planning. We take it hour by hour. We stop when we want and when it's needed. This is the relaxing way of travel.

If we just drove interstates then we wouldn't even use a mapping program. What's the point?
This looks like a good alternative to S&T.

Thanks
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem with S&T is it is aging. Obama has done a great job dumping funds into the roads all across the country. Many have been relocated and many more exchanges have been modified. S&T will get lost from time to time under these circumstances.

The new DeLorme Street Atlas seems to have come a long way from when I first tried it, about 10 years ago. I may try it again. Reading the users manual gave me a bit of hope.

As far as Google Earth, etc... seems like way too much work when planning a long, multi-stop trip. This I do frequently. S&T has been a great tool for doing this.

All we want is happy trails. I hope we can all find them in a good GPS program for the BIG SCREEN. lol

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone is pushing the online solutions, but until the cell phone providers bring back true unlimited data they are no match for a good off-line program. When I'm paying for my data, as most of us are when we're on the road, there is no way I'm going to be burning up my data with an online GPS tracking app. When I'm planning a trip being able to do it off-line is a nice advantage as well.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Everyone is pushing the online solutions, but until the cell phone providers bring back true unlimited data they are no match for a good off-line program. When I'm paying for my data, as most of us are when we're on the road, there is no way I'm going to be burning up my data with an online GPS tracking app. When I'm planning a trip being able to do it off-line is a nice advantage as well.
I only copied the above post because this is, IMO, a big scam by the cell phone folks.

If you have limited data, seek out free wifi sources for your trip planing whenever possible to reduce your cell phone plan data use for when you really need it. Many libraries and other government offices and buildings have free public wifi. Make sure your website connections are secure if a secure connection is available. Many travel centers, stops, and even some rest areas have free public wifi available. Turn on your wifi and see what might be available where you are.

I am paying a pretty high cost for my unlimited data plan from Verizon, which I have kept for years and never taken them up on their upgrade offers that wold get rid of my current data plan. Therefore, I use it as much as possible to get what I think is my money's worth.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #26

If you are a Good Sam member, they have a trip planner that does a good job for initial planning and locating RV Parks. The Trucker's Atlas is used to verify the route and you can save the Good Sam trip plan to Google Cloud and have it available throughout the entire trip without having to use too much data. I usually enter all the RV Parks in the Magellan GPS before leaving home.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I absolutely hate Base-Camp and every time I launch the application only a few minutes go by before I am totally frustrated.

MS S&T would be a good alternative BUT it doesn't make any sense to learn a program which is going to be extinct.

My last two major trips were from Southern California to Fairbanks Alaska last spring and then Anchorage Alaska to Dansville New York in October. I planned each stop using My-Maps which is a subset of Google Maps. You can save the information to Google Drive and also export the data to a KML file which can be imported to the Garmin RV760.

It mostly worked like a charm and was very easy to work through. You can program as many stops as you want up to 10 per file name but then you just create additional files until you have your complete trip. More stops or locations are better than fewer otherwise Garmin likes to create its own route over-riding yours but end up at the same place.

Here are the two that I configured for our trip from Anchorage to Dansville NY.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Uo&usp=sharing

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Rg&usp=sharing

I find that Google Maps is able to recognize and locate far more places and addresses quicker than most other mapping software packages.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #28

We will be using S&T for planning until it stops running. S&T was the easiest to use.

But we enter our trips into Alk CoPilot because it is height knowledgeable. With the Volvo and the Travel Supreme trailer, we were 13' 3" and used truck routing to protect out roofs.

With the Bounder we will still be using the regular version of CoPilot. We use a PC so we can have two monitors.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote