Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

MS Streets and Trips Equivalent

Short story Long
When the kids were little, we RV'ed all over. We used Microsoft Streets and Trips everywhere we went. We took long trips to many different places around this great country. Then the kids got to the teens. We RV'd at ball parks for the weekends. We made short trips to the beach for the weekends. For the last few years, we only RV'd to places that were close to home. There was no real need for S and T. Now, the kids are tax payers and DW and I are ready to hit the road with just the doggy. I dusted off the 2011 MS Streets and Trips, loaded it in the newest laptop then wanted to upgrade the maps to the latest version only to discover that upgrades are no longer available. DARN!
So, if my older eyes don't want to focus on the small screens of a Garmin type navigator, what kind of program can I load in a laptop that will equal or exceed the MS S and T's ?

Thanks
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

Delorme Street Atlas will do the route and miles but is not good on speed. Google map does everything but one needs a connection to the internet. I tend to use both. Route plan in Google then run it in Streets and Trips on a laptop.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

I am looking forward to the responses, too. We are using S&T 2013 which Microsoft has also stopped supporting.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am so glad to see these votes for S&T. My son works for Microsoft. I think they did a dumb thing by dropping this very useful program. Now if I can only talk him into buying the copy rights and getting it back into our hands... And so I dream.

I continue to use S&T. I run the end to end and then take the time to fine tune it. I have tried other programs and have not found a good replacement. None that I have used can be corrected as easily as S&T. Recently I tried CoPilot Laptop Live V8. What a disaster. I did get my $99 back. I, too, am older and the big screen is a safer GPS for me. My DW has the Garmin running as a backup to assist where S&T is not detailed enough, like lane choices.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, I used S&T on a small netbook running alongside my VMSpc. Really hated to give up on S&T though as I liked it.
Now using a 7720 or the built in Garmin. I prefer the 7720 though as the Garmin needs an OS and map upgrade. The map update is $99 and I'm not sure it's worth it since I have the 7720
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, I used S&T on a small netbook running alongside my VMSpc. Really hated to give up on S&T though as I liked it.
Now using a 7720 or the built in Garmin. I prefer the 7720 though as the Garmin needs an OS and map upgrade. The map update is $99 and I'm not sure it's worth it since I have the 7720
If S&T came back on the market would you go back to it? How is editing in the 7720? Can you correct your route as needed?
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

I like Google maps best, but it's painful to use without a high speed connection and I don't want to waste data on my phone while driving (plus worry about areas without cell reception).

My normal planning is done on Delorme Street Altas 2015. It's a dated-looking program and the road data isn't perfectly up-to-date, but it works. I have the USB-based GPS from them too, but my laptop is too big to be used while driving.

Instead, I take the route I planned on my laptop and create waypoints on my old (2008) Garmin Nuvi as "favorites", labeled wp1, wp2, etc. I add as many as necessary to keep me going along my preferred path. Its nice to know how long until a turn is coming, and is the exit on the right or left.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Mapquest for trip planning. MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

App for Atlas:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/usa-...420014622?mt=8

Then google map or apple map for up close and detail of any street/road
on a smart phone or tablet and for navigating. iPad mini 3g enabled, is perfect for navigation. The old Garmin, Magellan, etc are obsolete.

Once you get thru the learning curve, you will be glad you got rid
of MS streets and trips.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A tablet can use Google Maps, and map areas can be downloaded when you have a connection to be viewed later without a connection to the internet.

However, routing cannot be done when not connected to the internet. Road closure and traffic info also cannot be retrieved when offline.

That having been said, I prefer Waze on my Andriod smart phone for routing, but it only works when the routing is done with a connection to the internet, and cannot be changed if there is no internet connection.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
...iPad mini 3g enabled, is perfect for navigation...
What do you use to hold the iPad?
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Bullwinkle" 2008 Monaco Diplomat 36PDQ | 400hp Cummins I6 Diesel Pusher | 1440W Solar | 800Ah LiFePO4 | RVi TPMS | Roadmaster Tow Bar | RVibrake3 | 2020 Ford F-150 | Palomino Backpack Truck Camper SS-1251
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If S&T came back on the market would you go back to it? How is editing in the 7720? Can you correct your route as needed?
Not sure about going back to S&T now since I have the RM 7720.
Editing is easy with it and changes can be made on the fly although I stop to do it since the DW can't do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

I really enjoyed S&T for planning stops . I liked that I could tell it I want to stop in say 2.5 hrs, & I could see what there was at that point for attractions, restaurants, fuel, camping etc
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, there were some very good features of S&T that don't seem to be offered in products available now. I like that I could put in multiple stops and it would sort them for distance, best time, or a balance that I could adjust.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

I still use S & T to initially plan a trip as I haven't found anything better. I then pull up trip planner on Good Sam which ties in to my Magellan Good Sam multi stop GPS which keeps me away from low bridges. I like the addition of points of interest and camping spots as sometimes we wing it or just want to stop.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote