Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone

Seeking advice. I have read many posts about the "best" route to Yellowstone. We are new to the RV world. We purchased a 35 foot Zinger travel-trailer last fall. Other than weekend trips, this is our first vacation in our camper. We drive a Ford F350 Diesel. We are from Illinois.
I made reservations at Fishing Bridge RV park the same day that we leave Custer State Park in SD. I see now that may not have been the best choice, but it is what it is. So, please advise. What would be the quickest way to travel from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone? Rt 16 or take I-90 through Montana? Can I expect 8 hours of travel? Or much more than that?
Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #2

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moun...d44.427963!3e0

Old 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
We traveled from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone in 2014 and took I-90. In Wyoming, the speed limit was 80 mph!!!! Also stopped at Devil's Tower along the way. Had to leave our trailer at the parking area at the base of the Tower and take our vehicle up to the parking area at the Monument Visitor Center.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugfloyd View Post
Seeking advice. I have read many posts about the "best" route to Yellowstone. We are new to the RV world. We purchased a 35 foot Zinger travel-trailer last fall. Other than weekend trips, this is our first vacation in our camper. We drive a Ford F350 Diesel. We are from Illinois.
I made reservations at Fishing Bridge RV park the same day that we leave Custer State Park in SD. I see now that may not have been the best choice, but it is what it is. So, please advise. What would be the quickest way to travel from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone? Rt 16 or take I-90 through Montana? Can I expect 8 hours of travel? Or much more than that?
Thank you!
Did Rt. 16 with 43' MH and Explorer toad in 2014. A few hairpins but very doable. Was told to avoid Rt. 14 as its grades and turns were much more extreme. IH 90 will put you at the north entrance to the park. Fishing bridge is much closer to the east entrance.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

I would call and see if the reservation could be changed to the following day. You can make pretty good time on the interstate, but once you get off it will slow appreciably. You may be able to make it, but it would be pushing things IMHO. We traveled 90 from WI last year. I'm not certain where we spent the night along 90 (we stay in rest areas), but I do remember spending another night in a FS campground somewhere past Cody, WY before getting to Yellowstone the next day. Another thought is that there is a lot of beautiful country worth seeing once you start climbing toward Yellowstone, if you have time.

Best of luck, and safe travels.

Steve
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #6

I-90 with it's 80 mph speed limit, and easy stop points, will be faster.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I-90 with it's 80 mph speed limit, and easy stop points, will be faster.
Unless poster has substantially upgraded his TT tires, they are only rated for 65MPH.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #8

Regardless of your tire rating, you will make better time on the interstate. I think that's why they built them and why there are so many 18 wheelers on them. Time is money for truckers.

We travel from OR to WV and back nearly every year with a TC and when we are just going from here to there in a hurry we use interstates. We have been doing this since the late 70s. One year we decided to travel Rt.50 from WV as far West as feasible which turned out to be Austin, NV. That year it took six days to make a trip that would take four and a half days using interstates 70 and 80.

Best of luck with the trip. Regardless of how the campground issue turns out I think you will enjoy the trip immensely. There are many wonders in Yellowstone and that part of the country.

Steve
Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Keystone to Fishing Bridge (via Rapid City, I-90, Billings to US 89 to Fishing Bridge) 622 miles 11.5 hours

Keystone to Fishing Bridge (via Hiway 16, Buffalo, Ten Sleep, Worland, Cody to Fishing Bridge) 618 miles 13.1 hours

The trip can be considerably shorter via 14, but that is some serious switch backs and mountain driving and likely longer time.

I might try to get the reservations changed.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #10

I'd also suggest getting reservations changed either for Yellowstone or before.

Taking 16 from Buffalo to Cody and on to Fishing Bridge is the best route. You're not going to make it in 8 hours and the last miles will be slow through the mountains.

Good luck!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote