Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Can anyone recommend a good route (for a MH towing a toad) from Helen, GA (N. central GA above Gainesville)to go South to pick up I75 WITHOUT getting into the Atlanta can of worms freeway area??? (Maybe to pick up I75 down around Macon or somewhere). Sure could use some ideas. P.S. This N. Georgia area is BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you. Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Can anyone recommend a good route (for a MH towing a toad) from Helen, GA (N. central GA above Gainesville)to go South to pick up I75 WITHOUT getting into the Atlanta can of worms freeway area??? (Maybe to pick up I75 down around Macon or somewhere). Sure could use some ideas. P.S. This N. Georgia area is BEAUTIFUL!! Thank you. Steve & Lynette

Old 10-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Yep, we make that trip often. Get over to US441 south to Athens (thru Clayton) it is 4 laned all the way from Clayton to Athens. Follow US441 around the bypass toward Watkinsville (again 4 lane) from Watkinsville to Madison. Here you have a choice - either continue on 441 toward Eatonton or go toward Montecello on Ga 83. 83 is the best route in our opinion. At the end of the Madison Bypass where 441 makes a hard left, go straight ahead at the light (in front of WalMart) about 1/2 to 3/4 mile ahead there is a dead end. Turn left on 83 toward Montecello and follow it thru Montecello to Forsyth and I-75 south. I-475 will bypass Macon if you are heading further south.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

Pick up one of the Hwy maps that the state provides. It shows more of the primary and secondary roads than most altases. You should be able to pick one up at any of the local welcome centers (county/town). From Cleveland, you should pick up 441S over round Demorest/365 (exit off the left hand side of 365 for some strange reason)

We run that way too (441/129) from S GA to SW NC. We pick up I-75 at Macon (take the Athens By-Pass to the west side and watch your speed... lots of restaurants on the exits including a Cracker Barrel along there somewhere there... hard to get big rig into to the CB at Commerce and difficult to cross road too). In Macon, the tricky part is you have to get on I-16 then immediately go to the left to get over to I-75S. I can save over 1 hour by-passing Atlanta on 441. Also the trip is far less tiring on me (I drive the RV). We got off in Macon because we were heading to I75 Exit 101. To stay on 441 past Eatonton put us too far out of our way. Preplan your route on a map to see if that would work for you.

For the west side of Atlanta, we have run 27/53 from Columbus to Calhoun (by pass Rome... not marked as a by pass from the south side... turn at the Wal-Mart going N... going south you have to get into the left hand lane as soon as you turn at Wal-Mart because you need to take the left lane quite soon after the traffic light to head S on 27) Road isn't as good as 441 but we were heading to Chattanooga from S GA. Again, this was a more leisurely trip and I wasn't tired at either end of the trip.

A lot of semis are now taking these routes. Plenty of room on 441 as it's mostly 4 laned (but some 2 lane thru towns) but 27 has quite a bit of 2 lane both thru small towns and rural parts. Mileage wise it's a little longer but compared to being stuck in the traffic on the 285 "Parking Lot" it's faster timewise.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Folks for the GREAT help!! Sure appreciate it. We got here to Cleveland from I-75 at Cartersville using Hwy. #20, then wiggled around and on to 306, then onto 53, then toured around and around Gainsville trying to find 129 N. to Cleveland, and FINALLY got here. It was a fun drive, BUT we didn't particularly want to try again to figure our way South from Cleveland, and your directions REALLY help.. THANKS AGAIN. Steve & Lynette