Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

Ok... You have two options...

If you're not in a hurry.. You could go north thru MI and around Lake Michigan to WI and then over to MN, then to ND.. it'll add about 6 hours to your trip.. but wow.. what a wonderful trip it would be...

If you are a little pressed for time.. Go ahead and drive I-80 to I-294 to I-290 to I-90... It would be a VERY good thing to take the I-290 spur over to I-90 just because you would eliminate going near O'hare..

DO NOT go thru Chicago.. I've done it... and won't do it again...

Since you're traveling on Saturday, you cannot get an I-pass at the Oasis's that span over the expressway.. However, I called and talked to the Jewel-Osco store off S. Halsted Street (17705 S Halstead Street (708-957-1810)).. It would be the first exit after you go underneath the Chicago Southland/Lincoln Oasis.. You will need to pay a toll to exit onto S Halsted Street.

To get to the Jewel-Osco, you will need to go SOUTH on S. Halsted... The Jewel-Osco will be on your left (east side of the street)... Go into the store and ask where you can get an I-pass... I believe it will cost $32.95 ($12.95 for the transponder and $20 gets put on your account for tolls)..

I recommend getting the I-pass.. it doesn't really cost anything as the $12.95 fee will be refunded to you should you decide to return the transponder.. It will make your trip so much easier than trying to fit your RV thru the toll booths..

Good Luck with your trip !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #16

Added note...

The Oasis I mention is the first Oasis you'll see once you make the transition from I-80/94 to I-294/80... You really can't miss them.. they span the entire expressway..
Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post

If I select the 1 toll booth option, should I purchase the Ipass? ...
As said...the one cash booth is pretty painless. That is what I found on a Sat or Sun afternoon.

Now...if you were thinking you might be doing more tolls in the future it could be worth the time to get the Ipass but then you also have to know what states honor it and such. We generally avoid tolls and, in fact, the one booth we are talking about is the only toll I have paid.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
If I select the 1 toll booth option, should I purchase the Ipass?

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (in production), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
If you take the "1 toll booth option".. then it really makes no sense to purchase/rent a transponder...

I will mention.. If going I-80 to I-39, as mentioned.. You'll actually hit two toll booths... One going to I-80 from I-80/294 and one at I-90/39 and the WI boarder..

I did notice another option.. again, this is a bit longer.. but less than 100 miles.. You could continue on I-80 out towards Davenport, IA..
Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #19

Here's an update. I took all of your wonderful suggestions and sat down with a map, a ruler , note pad, and calculator. I took into account the traffic patterns, time of day, day of the week, and the number of toll booths. DW 👩 walked by and asked what I was doing. I explained all of the combinations and permutations of travel. I mentioned that Oakcreekeric suggested a route straight north along the lakes then turn left and travel through WI, MN, and eventually ND. She said. "I like that route"......Nuff said. It should be a heck of a maiden voyage with our brand new coach.

Thanks!

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #20

If you aren't in a hurry, this is the best route of all!! Have a great trip!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...I mentioned that Oakcreekeric suggested a route straight north along the lakes then turn left and travel through WI, MN, and eventually ND. She said. "I like that route"......Nuff said. ...
OH YA...if the wife is happy...be happy she is. LOL

If you haven't been to Mackanac Island...take a couple days in that area if you can. The UP is home of Yoopers and Pasties. We were at Escanaba last year for the NKK rally and really enjoyed our time.

You might even hurry up and check out HOOTS III. It's a little shindig that some die hard Newmar owners put together a couple years ago (Hoots I) and is now in its 3rd year. This year it is being held in Traverse Bay in the LP giving you time to take 2 bites of the Yooper apples as you traverse the UP.

Smooth sailing my friend.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #22

I must admit... I am VERY jealous of your route... I live in WI and have wanted to do the "lap" around Lake Michigan... but haven't found the time.. I hope it's as nice as everyone says.. I'm sure it is...

I don't have a ton of information... but if someone who knows more than me can chime in.. maybe you could go 19N to 20W and 20 turns into Rt 31 at South Bend.. you could run Rt 31 up along Lake Michigan...

Again.. not sure what your time line is.. but I have heard wonderful things about traveling around Lake Michigan on RT 31..

Good luck and please give us a follow up on your trip.. I'd be interested to know what route you ended up taking... and if you need any information while in WI.. feel free to ask..

Have a BLAST !!!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #23

I will post my trip and some pics. We are very excited.

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote