RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi

Has anyone driven the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi? We have a 40ft CC Allure and would like to use it on our way to Sunset, La Is there a weight restriction? I don't want to use it if it's white knuckle driving. Thanks, John

shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

I have not driven it, but have ridden it on a motorcycle. While that is about as different as you can get, it would be a easy drive with a MH. Low speeds, long sweeping curves that are not to sharp, pullouts every few miles, and not much traffic after you get past the lower Mississippi part.

There are no commercial stops on it, so if you need fuel, food or whatever you may have to drive 5 to 10 miles from where you get off. The upper part was great, the lower was used like a local road, but not a over crowded one.

crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

According to there website the weight restriction is 40,000lbs, length is 55 feet including towed, and height is 14 feet.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Like Carl, I have ridden the entire 400+ miles of the NTP on a motorcycle. I would not hesitate to take our motor home over it as it's an easy relaxed drive. The speed limit is 45-50mph so it lets you enjoy the scenery. There are some interesting things to see along the way including the cypress swamp just north of Jackson MS and some Indian mounds.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

We drove it end to end in May this year in a 34' motor-home with no toad. It was a pretty drive and not difficult at all. It is not at all like the Blue Ridge Parkway in terms of curves, grades, and sweeping overlooks. There are many pull offs but at very few geared to large motor-homes with towed vehicles. This May was a very wet one for MS and on our second day there were trees coming down all over the parkway. We had one fall across the road in front of us and we had to wait about an hour for the park service to come clear it. The ground was very soft, so I did not want to put our wheels off the roadway to turn around. We later stopped at the visitor's center and while there heard the loud crash of another large tree falling across the roadway.
There are three campgrounds on the parkway and on our first night we stayed at the Jeff Busby campground, which is free and is first come, first serve, with no hookups. The road was paved and there were many pull through sites as well as some back in one's. The second night we stayed at Tishomingo SP which was OK and very pretty, but somewhat rundown. We stayed at Piney Grove COE (not far away) on another occasion and it was much nicer.
Further north, the Meriwether Lewis campground is very nice and we would have stayed there if we hadn't been given a free stay at the Thousand Trails Natchez Trace campground not far away. In retrospect, we would stay at Meriwether Lewis in the future. The TT campground is really geared towards seasonal campers with a golf cart to get around in. For example, the only laundry was a mile away in another section. Although close to the parkway, you can't get to it from the nearest exit because the bridge clearance is only 11 feet. Instead, you have to get off 6 miles away and travel a round about route to get there.
We would probably drive it again, but in the fall, and definitely not after a lot of heavy rain.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We did it last year with our 40 ft plus a toad with no problems. Beautiful road and leisure pace (50mph or so). Do watch for bikes as it is a favorite bike route. Well worth the effort to do. There are a few of the pull offs that you will not fit into. Get a park map and it will list the places with RV restrictions (pull offs and some campgrounds)
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We did it last year with our 40 ft plus a toad with no problems. Beautiful road and leisure pace (50mph or so). Do watch for bikes as it is a favorite bike route. Well worth the effort to do. There are a few of the pull offs that you will not fit into. Get a park map and it will list the places with RV restrictions (pull offs and some campgrounds)
X2! Just watch your speed. Those Rangers are looking for ways to make money!

It's also kind of narrow. Don't wander over the center line!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #8

I traveled the length of it (south to north) earlier this week. I would pass another vehicle coming in the other direction about every 15 to 30 minutes, about every other one was an RV, many larger moterhomes. I set the cruise control to 50 MPH and very seldom had to slow down. It was a peaceful drive.

I stayed in 2 of the campgrounds and they both had pull through sites that a 40 footer would fit in. In one I was across from the empty camp host site and before I left I decided to see if the electric was on. It was.

Tags
ace