RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #1

Navigating Houston

Hi all! We will be leaving Florida in a few days to wend our way up to Yellowstone to workamp for the summer, in a 32 ft fifth wheel. At one point we will be staying overnight at Vinton, LA, and then have to go the next day to Katy, TX as we are visiting an old friend there. If we had more time we would have planned to go "way around", but we only drive 200-250 miles per day.

Have people had success with taking I-10 straight through Houston? We will be going through on a Thursday around 11 am or noon, so would hopefully miss morning and evening rush hours. This is our plan at the moment.

The other way I thought about was going on Hwy 8 (Sam Houston Pky) to the south, and then back up to I-10. This would involve a toll though, but looks like I can get the EZ Pass Express app and pay that way instead of having to purchase a transponder somewhere (we typically do not "stop" with the rig during travel other than rest areas, and do not have time to get a transponder ahead of time).

Suggestions from those who have driven through or around Houston? Thank you for your help!

Folkerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #2

The app won't help you. Houston has EZ Tag not EZ Pass.

Going through Houston is never a good event, you just need to tough it out. I would try for a little earlier, 10 AM so you avoid noon hour.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

I misspoke. The app is EZ TAG Express. It is designed for people just passing through, and when I called they said it could be used on Hwy 8 (but only parts of Hwy 99)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot straight through on I-10 at noon. 740AM gives you traffic status frequently.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

About time Houston came up with a system for people passing through!!! Wonder if it works on the multiple toll systems TX has? I think the EZ Tag transponder does. Wonder why Grand Prairie is excluded?

We would normally avoid Houston because of the toll confusion/situation. So many roads are restricted to EZ Tag holders only, just not visitor friendly.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

Last time I traveled in Houston, I found that you need a bag of quarters to get around.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
We did the straight thru on I-10 about three weeks ago. About 1:30ish on a Friday afternoon. It wasn’t fun, but we didn’t do any big lane changes, kept out of the merge lane(s), and didn’t get into any drag races with anyone. Consider ourselves crazy lucky as only had one minor delay about half way through. Obviously it can and is done daily but it’s one of those places that needs planned out as to day, time of day, and be willing to stick with it. We actually had crazier drivers thru Katy than Houston itself but I’m guessing that’s just a matter of being in the right place at the wrong time. At least to me the best part of going thru that greater Houston area was having it over with. We just took it easy and got it done.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I plan on going straight through on a Sunday morning. Will this route have tolls?
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
There are exits and lanes that are tolls, but watch the signs and there are straight thru lanes I-10 that are well marked and are not tolls.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #10

My Son and family live in Katy and I travel from mid Alabama. You slow to 55, right lane and relax on I 10. I have a 42’ with tow.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone! I-10 wasn't bad at all. Just took our time, stayed in middle lane mostly, and went through between 11 and noon on a Thursday. Followed the same semi most of the way. No tolls. Basically a non event! Just watch your signage
Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #12

You will be fine going straight through at that time. Rush hour starts from 3:30 on so go for it. I live in Houston 6 months a year and avoid traffic at all cost b