Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #85

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the correct response to this question is not is it “do able “ or not, but rather is it “safe for EVERYONE on the same road including you”. There are many things in life that are do able, but that doesn’t mean you should do it. By no means am I a whimp. I am a 55 year old woman who has skydived, bungee jumped, raced dirt bikes, etc. I have also driven a 911 I owned the length of the Independence Pass in Colorado which is comparable to the Million Dollar Highway. Switchbacks, hairpins, no guard rails, falling rocks, sometimes ice on the road and even the unexpected waterfall coming off the cliff face onto the road sometimes carrying rocks that can smash your windshield no problem. By all means take that beautiful ride but do it in your toad for everyone’s safety! Anyone telling you to just swing wide on the curves and/or has done so is irresponsible. Yes, there are times when another motorhome, truck with pull behind or even a tractor trailer is coming the opposite way. What are you going to do then? There is not enough room for both of you if your taking up to much lane. Not to mention the heart attack you just gave to the car or motorcyclist (there are lots of bikes) who’s lane you just claimed as your own. No one has the right to ruin someone else’s day. You have done the right thing by asking the question, and I’m pretty sure you all ready know the right answer. PLEASE TAKE THAT BEAUTIFUL RIDE IN YOUR TOAD SO EVERYONE CAN ENJOY THE SCENERY. Have a great ride!
Jackalope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope63 View Post
I think the correct response to this question is not is it “do able “ or not, but rather is it “safe for EVERYONE on the same road including you”. There are many things in life that are do able, but that doesn’t mean you should do it. By no means am I a whimp. I am a 55 year old woman who has skydived, bungee jumped, raced dirt bikes, etc. I have also driven a 911 I owned the length of the Independence Pass in Colorado which is comparable to the Million Dollar Highway. Switchbacks, hairpins, no guard rails, falling rocks, sometimes ice on the road and even the unexpected waterfall coming off the cliff face onto the road sometimes carrying rocks that can smash your windshield no problem. By all means take that beautiful ride but do it in your toad for everyone’s safety! Anyone telling you to just swing wide on the curves and/or has done so is irresponsible. Yes, there are times when another motorhome, truck with pull behind or even a tractor trailer is coming the opposite way. What are you going to do then? There is not enough room for both of you if your taking up to much lane. Not to mention the heart attack you just gave to the car or motorcyclist (there are lots of bikes) who’s lane you just claimed as your own. No one has the right to ruin someone else’s day. You have done the right thing by asking the question, and I’m pretty sure you all ready know the right answer. PLEASE TAKE THAT BEAUTIFUL RIDE IN YOUR TOAD SO EVERYONE CAN ENJOY THE SCENERY. Have a great ride!
Thanks to all of you for your assessments. There is no doubt that there's a lot of passion and strong feelings about traveling this beautiful road. I'm reading all of the commentary and taking my time in making my decision.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #87

I got one great tip from a female ranger, who suggested traveling north on this route if your questioning your ability! That way you are on the inside lane !
Hopefully less chance of going over the edge?
tiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #88

Million dollar nightmare

I'm afraid of heights. I drove the million dollar nightmare in an SUV. It scared the crap out of me. I had nightmares for a long time afterward. They should have spent a little more money on guardrails. A very scary road.

I now drive a 40 foot class A all over the country and Canada. I wouldn't consider even getting close to that highway.
cpp8284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #89

Entegra Owners Club
Check it out here and decide for yourself
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #90

This a Ten Year old post that was By Ken (AKA 4runnerguy)

Tongue in Cheek;

"Actually, those of us from Colorado recommend that people from out of state don't attempt this road in ANY vehicle. It's narrow and curvey. There are trolls waiting under the bridges who will force you over the cliffs. A rogue avalanche might sweep you away in the summer. There are bandits waiting to hold you up and take your money and children. There's really nothing much to see, and Silverton isn't all that quaint and cute. The massive wildflower displays are vastly overrated. The vivid color combination of green vegetation against the red rocks can be seen at Christmas time in displays all over North America. The mine and ghost town remains are just unpainted, weathered wood -- nothing special. So for your safety, avoid this road in any vehicle at all costs.

Think that sums it up Pretty well .
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Check it out here and decide for yourself
Thanks for posting that. I've been on several roads like that and the key, like they say, is take your time.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Here is a video that lets you "drive" it from the comfort of your living room.

Doesn't seem too bad, but I would do it in the toad, and take the bus around on Highway145 to Telluride.

https://www.durango.com/million-dollar-highway/ Note the school bus doing 550 near the end. Sorry, that is only Silverton to Ouray.

Gary
So my camping schedule is Gunnison to Ouray to Silverton to Durango. If I decide to skip 550 in the coach, how would I get from Ouray to Silverton? I think the route from Gunnison to Ouray is what I have below, but don't see a route between Ouray to Silverton. Unfortunately, Google maps doesn't give you an alternative route.

Gunnison to Ouray - Left at 62 in Ridgeway
Left onto 145 into Teluride
Take Tomboy Rd (K68) which turns into Imogene Pass Rd
Turn right (North) on 26A which turns into 361 to Ouray

Ouray to Silverton without 550?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #93

Cool Million Dollar Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
I have about 6,000 miles experience in a class A pulling a TOAD. However, most of that was with a coach 10 feet shorter and using a tow dolly.

My question is how difficult will it be on the million dollar highway in Colorado for me now that I'm 10 feet longer and towing 4 wheels down?

I've watched a few videos of the million dollar highway and I'm feeling a little white knuckled already. Should I wimp out and have the wife drive the Jeep or towing the Jeep won't really make much of a difference on those tight turns?
WE loved the drive but at the time I had no idea that I was going to be driving on a road with no guardrails but who needs them if you stay in your lane. It is not the entire trip and is well worth it. We drove a 40LE Discovery with a Wrangler four down.Again there are many trucks using it so its ok.Yes the white line is on the EDGE to HELL but thats why we pray.
Gilliganrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #94

Quote:
So my camping schedule is Gunnison to Ouray to Silverton to Durango. If I decide to skip 550 in the coach, how would I get from Ouray to Silverton? I think the route from Gunnison to Ouray is what I have below, but don't see a route between Ouray to Silverton. Unfortunately, Google maps doesn't give you an alternative route.

Left onto 145 into Telluride

Gunnison to Ouray only one way to go - https://binged.it/2TZvDOW

As is also true for Ouray to Silverton - unless you go around and come up from Durango ? - https://binged.it/2TUAp0l

Long way through Durango - https://binged.it/2TUBuoV

Nice thing is you can zoom down in Satellite View and see the actual Road.

Check out this thread on the San Juan's - Lot's of Good Local Knowledge. - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/monti...le-425074.html

Just a guess, thinking all the little country Roads you are referring to are 4X4 trails, some make RT 550 look like an Interstate

Best of Luck,

Images - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...24.FZXPvCICYxQ
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Gunnison to Ouray only one way to go - https://binged.it/2TZvDOW

As is also true for Ouray to Silverton - unless you go around and come up from Durango ? - https://binged.it/2TUAp0l

Long way through Durango - https://binged.it/2TUBuoV

Nice thing is you can zoom down in Satellite View and see the actual Road.

Check out this thread on the San Juan's - Lot's of Good Local Knowledge. - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/monti...le-425074.html

Just a guess, thinking all the little country Roads you are referring to are 4X4 trails, some make RT 550 look like an Interstate

Best of Luck,

Images - https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...24.FZXPvCICYxQ
Gotcha, I think I'll stay off the 4x4 roads with the coach.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliganrv View Post
WE loved the drive but at the time I had no idea that I was going to be driving on a road with no guardrails but who needs them if you stay in your lane. It is not the entire trip and is well worth it. We drove a 40LE Discovery with a Wrangler four down.Again there are many trucks using it so its ok.Yes the white line is on the EDGE to HELL but thats why we pray.
Well my decision will boil down to if I want to camp where I have reservations then I must take 550, or I must cancel my plans.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take the drive, it is a good road. Just drive at the speed you are comfortable with.
RVs and truck are across it every day.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #98

Quote:

Left onto 145 into Teluride

Quote:
Gotcha, I think I'll stay off the 4x4 roads with the coach.
Tomboy up to Imogene from Telluride can even a bit hairy in a 4x4.............. Looking from Tomboy to Bridal Veil Falls; full disclosure, we were in one of the 4x4 tour trucks during a “non RV trip” to the Telluride Jazz Festival.

We haven’t gone from Imogene to Ouray; that was a “no way, we are not taking our Jeep on “that”” which I was not going to win when we were in Ouray in the RV last summer (I think that may have been a bit much in our stock Cherokee Trailhawk anyway). In any case, I had used up all of my four wheeling adventure chips going up to Animas Forks.....

Our route through SW CO last summer: We came into the Cortez area from Monument Valley and stayed near Mesa Verde; we did Durango day trips in the Jeep. Then up 145 to Preist Gulch so we could spend time in Telluride (145 is no fun to drive in anything at night, pitch black and wildlife everywhere; probably the same for all these roads in this area at night). Then we went over and stayed in Ouray (we went down to Siverton the back way from Animas Forks in the Jeep). From Ouray we went to Creede then down to Pagosa Springs which lets you take CO149 / Slumgullion Pass and then Wolf Creek Pass.....

As for 550 between Ouray and Siverton in the RV? I think I’d be OK with it after driving it in the Jeep, but I’m pretty comfortable driving in the mountains. We didn’t drive 550 at all between Ouray and Durango as it was right after the big fire last summer and there were still some lane closures. And after we drove back to Ouray from Silverton, I said to my wife “the hard part must be between Silverton and Durango” (which it isn’t). But, yes, you need to know your comfort level and limits.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8810AC0-1669-484F-B0AD-04E76FF34208.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	239429  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote