RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #15

We use Google Maps on an Samsung S2 android tablet. There is an option on G-maps to download route maps so that it still works when you lose wi-fi. We use it often with no wi-fi available and its way better than any stand alone GPS that I've ever had.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
We use Google Maps on an Samsung S2 android tablet. There is an option on G-maps to download route maps so that it still works when you lose wi-fi. We use it often with no wi-fi available and its way better than any stand alone GPS that I've ever had.

I tried GM on an android tablet but could not find a download route map. I could send the directions to my phone. But they weren't turn by turn like a gps. Could you please offer some direction here?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #17

After you open the GM app, you should see 3 horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner. Tap the bars and a menu will open up along the left hand edge. There are two options that you need to change. Turn off "wi-fi only" and then below that you need to open "off line maps" and choose some options regarding what to download.
When you are in an area that has not been downloaded yet and start a route on Wi-Fi, you get a pop up that asks if you want to download the route in case you loose Wi-Fi. We have a TOGO in the RV, so when we take the toad, we enter the expected route and download the area before driving off.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #18

Has the OP tried Google Maps?
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #19

Just got back on the road. I will give GM a try.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #20

We use Madam Google but after a few shaky directions provided in parts of PA this past fall, I now compare the route to RV Trip Wizard for differences.

As was mentioned above, How to get here is very important for some of the more remote parks.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
After you open the GM app, you should see 3 horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner. Tap the bars and a menu will open up along the left hand edge. There are two options that you need to change. Turn off "wi-fi only" and then below that you need to open "off line maps" and choose some options regarding what to download.
When you are in an area that has not been downloaded yet and start a route on Wi-Fi, you get a pop up that asks if you want to download the route in case you loose Wi-Fi. We have a TOGO in the RV, so when we take the toad, we enter the expected route and download the area before driving off.

Thank You!!
Old 01-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
As far as I can remember, every state or national park I've visited had a "Ho to get here" info box on their website. And many of them had a cautionary note not to depend on your GPS.
In addition to the info I've been able to find from their website, I almost always give them a call to be sure, for instance, that I can still get in even if I arrive after their open hours. That's also a good time to ask about any weird directions, etc. (We almost never make reservations. They tend to lock you in and you never know what might come up along the way).
I second this. Many park websites have the "DO NOT follow the GPS" warnings. I just get it in my head where I want to go after looking at Google Maps.

If the OP for some reason doesn't have it on their device, DOWNLOAD IT NOW, it does not have ads and is the best thing going for finding stuff. I have a private pilots license, and when I learned to fly, you had to understand the navigation charts. Being on the ground looking at maps is not different for me. After looking at it in default mode, I will usually switch to satellite view to see if their is anything weird, and if it is hilly or mountainous, I switch to terrain mode to see how that looks. It takes seconds to switch.

Now some roads are simply not easy to find. Black Rock Mountain State Park, in Clayton/Mountain City, GA, is one. There are signs, but not big ones, and they simply don't jump out at you. The road you turn onto looks like any other side street.

Headed north, this is what it looks like. Heading North, its the street on the left.

After you make the turn, Just a regular side street, but wait! here is a hint they are expecting you. Up that grade a ways, look, you are crossing the Eastern Continental Divide, and there is the park sign, straight in front of you. Well, this is the end of street view, at the real park entrance. But the best is yet to come. Finally arrived at the campground. I have stayed in the site where the white pickup is, Its handicapped but the host said take it, it was reserved but no one had showed for several days to claim it. My buddy was in the next site past that. Finally here is the view from the park office, a short drive away from the campground, and yes, some of the sites have just as good a view.

Happy travels.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote