Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Need a route AROUND Mobile AL and...

Hi RV Friends
I need to know if there is a route AROUND the Tunnel in Mobile LA on I-10
and then that awful section of I-10 that is mile after mile of wash-board speed bumps... somewhere before or after New Orleans -- maybe on on I-12

If I take I-10 from Florida ... heading to Houston TX... is there a route I can take to avoid those areas?

I don't mind driving out of the way... but I need to stay on good roads with room for our A class pulling a jeep w/ a small motorcycle on the back of the jeep.

I'm very concerned about hitting that section of bad bumps with the extra weight on the back of the jeep. I don't want to tear up my tow bar or damage the rig or jeep.

I am not a very experience driver ... most of the past few months I have traveled the major interstates ...

I guess I could leave FL and go up to Montgomery - catch I-40 and take that over to Shereport and then work my way down to Houston...

any thoughts would be appericated.

Thanks for sharing.
Webe2
Webetravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Do you mean Mobile, AL?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I did mean Mobile AL

duh.... sorry about that ... thanks for catching it.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
we went thru there coming back from florida and didn't have any issues with our 5'er thru the tunnel...
( I was a bully and got in the center and kept up with traffic so no one could get beside me now my traveliing buddy couple in their class A helped with that in the other lane).....
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mobile isn't in Louisiana and I 40 does not go through Shreveport. Take I 10 until east of New Orleans, then take I 12 to Baton Rouge then get back on I10 all the way to Houston. The road is good all the way.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

I drive through the tunnel at least 2 times a month and have never had an issue. The I-10 has recently been resurfaced and is in great shape to Houston.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
we went thru there coming back from florida and didn't have any issues with our 5'er thru the tunnel...
( I was a bully and got in the center and kept up with traffic so no one could get beside me now my traveliing buddy couple in their class A helped with that in the other lane).....
Why would you do this?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The tunnel is plenty wide enough for an RV to easily drive through. There is about 20 miles of I-10 near Lafayette that is sort of rough-riding, but not enough to cause any issues with motorhome or toad.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
WeBe2:

You'll not likely have ANY problem with either the Mobile tunnel nor I-10. Take em straight through. Sooooooo much simpler.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

To avoid the tunnel, take the last exit before you go on the I10 bridge, at the Bass Pro, go north 2 blocks and cross the bay on old 98. This will go by battleship park and go north along the river and cross the river by bridge. Follow signs to I165 to I65s back to I 10. You can also take the hazardous cargo exit off the bay bridge but I usually exit before the bridge because traffic is less congested. Wife is a bit claustrophobic and hates the tunnel, especially in the MH. I can't help you with I10 in LA.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yes... you're correct... I shouldn't be doing emails when i'm to pooped to think! sorry about that.

Mobile AL - and I've been thru the tunnel but I don't like it ... so I was wondering if anyone has taken 190 west === what that road was like?

And I meant to type I-49 down not I-40 (again sorry about that)

I don't want to do that bad section of I-10 around Lafayette (heading west) ... I got that extra weight of a motorcycle on a MC carrier - on the back of the Jeep which is being towed by our 32ft Brave. I just want to be careful and not put to much stress on that tow bar.

So I am still looking for a smoother route from Florida to Houston... right now I'm thinking just take I-20 across.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If you thought I 10 was rough wait to you get east of Shreveport, that'll knock the dust off the suspension. To avoid that section of I 10 when you get west of Baton Rouge jog north to 190 and run that west. You can come back down and finish on I10, or run 190 all the way into TX.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
If you thought I 10 was rough wait to you get east of Shreveport, that'll knock the dust off the suspension. To avoid that section of I 10 when you get west of Baton Rouge jog north to 190 and run that west. You can come back down and finish on I10, or run 190 all the way into TX.
Try Pennsylvania!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Webe.....,
Have you thought about taking the Dauphin Island ferry? That would bypass the tunnel, but you would still need to drive the MH on the ferry.

Dauphin Island Ferry Fares
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote