Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Need advice for 7 week New England trip route

We are leaving on 9/7 for a 7 week New England trip and I would like to know which route is best for the fall colors. Should we go up on the West side by Niagara Falls and Vermont and come back on the East side or vice versa? We live in West TN.

Ed, Tess & Little Jazzy
2017 London Aire DP 4553 2014 Buick Enclave
Blue Ox with Air Force One
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 01:47 AM   #2

Keep an eye on the weather forecasts , I tried to do the fall colors 4 years ago and got chased away from the coast by hurricanes ( 2) in 7 days.
After a cross continent trip that was disappointing.
Also be aware that many RV parks in the area start closing very soon after Sept 15th, and by Oct 1st , over 50 % will be closed.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 AM   #3

beginning of september is a little bit early even for Northern new england, but with 7 weeks you should see plenty of color. I may be a bit biased, but I think all the new England states are beautiful in the fall but my favorites are New hampshire and Vermont. can't go wrong anywhere in either state. if you have AAA or anything like that they may have good routes that you can use. enjoy your trip and be safe.
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We started in Vt/NH and came south with the leaves. See www.yankeefoliage.com Saw the best "leaves" next door to you in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Hi freen03,
The CGs will start closing after Columbus day/weekend. This is a big weekend for camping in New England. Where ever you plan to be October 10 - 13 make sure you have reservations well in advance. I'd do the southern route first and return via the inland route.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
We just did this trip last fall. Drove to Maine from here in California. Left Sept 23, and by first week of October we were in the East. Worked our way from Michigan to Niagara Falls,Ticonderoga NY, across VT and NH to Maine, the south along the coast. I made reservations at very few places...Boston, NYC, Gettysburg, and DC. Turned out we didn't even need reservations at those places! I, too, was worried about campgrounds being closed, and in several places it turned out we had JUST beat their closing weekend! But we really never had any problems at all. After Columbus Day we were a little further south, and in DC by Halloween. It was a wonderful trip, saw all the colors, and would take off this fall again and do it all over if I could!!

2015 Cardinal 3850RL
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote