Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #1

Need advice on routes to and through Yellowstone

I am new to the RV community and just recently bought a 24 foot Winnebago Minnie Winnie. I am planning a trip this summer that will take me from Great Falls, Montana into Yellowstone National Park and then down to Denver, Colorado. I need some help getting from GF to Fishing Bridge Rv Park, taking into consideration that I am new to an Rv and will be traveling solo with my 3 and 9 year old daughters. I need a route that is easy to navigate and not a white knuckle ride. Also would love the same info for an exit on the way down to Denver. Thanks for all your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #2

There are a couple of routes to take out of GF.

Neither are "white knuckle", but the easier of the two would be I-15 south to Helena then 287 south to I-90. I-90 east to 191 south(Bozeman/Belgrade) or continue east to Livingston for 89 south. Also out of GF, you could take 89 south all the way to I-90 just east of Livingston. This route will take you through some mountains and will take a little longer. Once you have chosen your route into the park go south to either the West Yellowstone or Mammoth Hot Springs entrance.

From Mammoth either go to Canyon then over the pass to Fishing Bridge, or around to Old Faithful then east along the north side of the lake to Fishing Bridge.

From West, go south to Old Faithful then east along the north side of the lake toFishing Bridge.

To Denver, head out the east entrance of the park to I-25 south and your there in about 6 hrs once on the freeway.

Or, you can always consult your favorite road map and explore a little. Either route is excellent through our beautiful state. Hope this helps!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

From Great Falls, MT, the most direct route is south on I-15 to Helena, then US 287 to West Yellowstone. I'm not sure what you consider white knuckle, but I think that's the best route. Once you go to leave YNP, you can go out the South entrance to Moran Junction in GTNP and east on US 26 to Casper, then down I-25 to Denver.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Both of you have fantastic suggestions! How long do you think it will take to go from Great Falls to Fishing Bridge?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbutcher View Post
Both of you have fantastic suggestions! How long do you think it will take to go from Great Falls to Fishing Bridge?
About 6 hours. Google maps actually suggests US 89 instead of I-15, they show it to be a little shorter. I've driven that way, nice road and pretty scenery as I remember. I suggested I-15 because it's interstate.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

I like the idea if the Interstate. I feel a bit safer being a newbie and traveling with my kids. Any suggestions on things to do in Yellowstone? Obviously the geysers are a must, however I need to keep my kids occupied.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbutcher View Post
I like the idea if the Interstate. I feel a bit safer being a newbie and traveling with my kids. Any suggestions on things to do in Yellowstone? Obviously the geysers are a must, however I need to keep my kids occupied.
At Mammoth, there is a self-guided tour of the old fort. Usually a herd of elk grazing in the grass. The visitor centers at Canyon, Old Faithful, Mammoth are all interesting. In Hayden Valley you'll see herds of Bison. Go to Artist's Point at the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. On the Canyon drive, hike down to the brink of the lower falls. Just south of Madison Junction, take the Firehole Canyon Drive (one way south) and near the end you'll come to a swimming hole. Take your suits! Walk down to Tower Falls. For a great 3-4 hour hike, at Dunraven Pass hike to the top of Mt. Washburn. There's a fire lookout and hiker's shelter and center at the top. Everyone should hike a mountain. (It's an old Model T road tourists used to be able to drive up) You'll probably see big horn sheep on the hike up or down. Take a hike away from parking lots. Fairy Falls, behind Grand Prismatic Spring, is a flat hike back to the tallest water fall in the park. Check out Old Faithful Inn, the largest log building in the world. Walk the boardwalks around the geyser basin, walk up to Old Faithful Lookout, a very undervisited trail at Old Faithful. There's lots more, I've been leading groups out and around YNP and GTNP for over 20 years and I still see new things each year!

Bob & Donna
Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #8

Great advice on the route. Although 89 is very scenic. It is a scenic byway and not too hard to drive. It has one of our fave campgrounds, Many Pines. National Forest site near Niehart.

Tags
advice