Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Need advice traveling to Boulder, Colorado

Hello. I need advice traveling from east Texas to Boulder, Colorado in February or March in a new 2019 Newmar Dutch Star, Class A Diesel. Is it feasible? Or would the roads be too treacherous that time of year? I know you can't predict the weather, but many of you know that area, and I'm sure you can give my husband and me some good advice. Thank you.
calasiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just note the snowiest months in the area are March and April.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

I'm sure they keep the major roads clear. Gotta keep those truckers moving.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

Assuming you have flexibility on your travel days, and choose not to drive if it does snow until the roads are clear you should be able to do it without issue. No mountain passes involved. With a new rig I imagine the most you will have to worry about assuming you drive on days when the roads are clear will be the possibility of salt on the roads which you won't want to get on your new rig.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

They don't use salt on the roads in Colorado. They do use mag chloride sometimes.
Your worst problem might be the occasional freezing rain in north Texas infamous for turning the roads into ice skating rinks.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Consult Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation every step of the way.

Be prepared to park it for 48 hours, give or take.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calasiter View Post
Hello.
I need advice traveling from east Texas

to Boulder, Colorado in February or March

in a new 2019 Newmar Dutch Star, Class A Diesel.

Is it feasible?

Or would the roads be too treacherous that time of year?

I know you can't predict the weather, but many of you know that area, and

I'm sure you can give my husband and me some good advice.

Thank you.
Feasible? - Depends on the Driver - I've spent a couple winters in Golden and we had no Problems. Have done Steamboat - Vail - Buena Vista - I-70......on and on.....some in the Snow but most on beautiful Clear roads under a Beautiful Clear Sky.

If you are Smart and Use a little Common Sense you will be Fine - most of the snow tends to be in the Mountains so it Normally is never on the ground for long there in the Foothills.

If you are staying in Boulder the Fairgrounds will likely be your only option - https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-s...ds/campground/ will need to dump (PITA) on site, but will leave you close to the Town of Boulder.

Depending on the weather I's, if Snowing or RT 287 if not - https://binged.it/2Kx834h

Hope this Helps,

If you do get salt on the Coach I'd get it washed -

CDOT map with cameras - http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/defau...CameraId=10829
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #8

Having driven that route more times than I can remember in every month of the year, my suggestion would be to take all four-lane U.S. 287 to Amarillo, then stop at a FHU RV park and check the weather and road reports at CO511. Then you can decide whether to continue on to Boulder via U.S. 87 and I-25 or via U.S. 287 and either I-70 or U.S. 50/I-25. The first route is now all four-lane in NM and CO. The latter route is mostly two-lane from just north of Dumas to I-70 or to I-25.

Since you have your house with you, waiting a few days for weather shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

If you need to overnight near Amarillo and you like free there is a Welcome Center on I-40/US287 a few miles east of town that gets good reviews and a Cracker Barrel a few miles west of there. If you take US87 north to Dumas the city owned Texhoma Park has free 50/30 amp hook ups, water, dump station, restrooms and small park with playground. They do have a donation box. There is a train track through town a few blocks away. The trains didn't bother us.
You can sign up for text and/or email alerts on road conditions, closures and chain requirements on the CDOT website. I highly recommend it.
The mountains and wind patterns can create some unusual snow conditions. Sometimes the snow is on and near the mountains as you would normally expect but sometimes the snow is fairly slight along the Flatirons while all of eastern Colorado is experiencing blizzard conditions and I-70 east of Denver is closed down and travelers are stranded.
Raton Pass on I-25 is fairly easy as long as you monitor your temperatures climbing up and control your speed descending manually down shifting sooner rather than later if necessary and using your engine or exhaust brake along with stab braking techniques. I have driven it in light blowing snow and did fine but I could have avoided it by checking on the weather with CDOT beforehand.
The campground situation near Boulder is pretty bad. The Boulder County Fairgrounds mentioned by Busskipper is your best bet unless it is reserved for a big event at the Fairgrounds like a horse or dog show. The sites are mostly former back-ins that have been converted to short tight pull-throughs. Your neighbor's awning could possibly get too friendly with your slideout. Interior roads are pot-holed dirt. Dustbowl when dry, mudhole when wet. You can arrive at any time, find an empty spot and pay for it at an automatic pay station. 14 days per year time limit.
You have to get the code to enter the restroom/shower area from the attendant if you can find her in her office during normal government business hours.
The next closest campground is St. Vrain State Park on CO119 immediately east of I-25. The only way to get a site there is to reserve it online. The gate attendants can't sell you a site even if every site in the campground is available. It and a half dozen other state parks are trying out a new reservation scheme. It is a disaster for those who can't predict where they are going to be spending the night six months in advance. During the winter they close off half the campsites leaving only those with full hook ups.
The legislature has not funded the state park system from the General Fund since 2004. Almost all their funding comes from campsite rental and a $7/day fee for each vehicle. The rest from lottery money. None from marijuana money. They are hurting and it shows.
There is a beautiful small city-owned campground in Lyons called LaVern M. Johnson Park. It is next to a creek backed by a cliff.
Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland is good with 50/30/20 amp pull-throughs, nearby hose bibs and dump station and restrooms with showers. Reservations not really required this time of year.
ParkAdvisor is a really good app and is my go to app while full timing across the country while basing in Boulder County. I hope you have an uneventful trip and enjoy your stay.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

As mentioned above, Colorado state parks are underfunded. So, on January 1, all of their fees are going up. Park entrance fees are going to $10/day and campground fees for electric sites are increasing by $3-9/night, but reservation fees have been dropped.

And, worst of all, my senior fishing license cost is increasing by 800% !!!!! (from $1/year to $8/year! How will I afford it?)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
I travel this route often between Corpus Christi and Wyoming. There is a free "campground"/parking area in west Dumas, TX. It is just off HWY 87 to Raton, NM. I know there was 50 AMP service, but do not remember water or sewer. Texhoma Park - Dumas, TX - RV Park Reviews

I would be aware of any weather on Raton Pass as that can be dicey..

I have boondocked at the Walmart in Trinidad, Co at the bottom of Raton Pass.

Hope this information is useful.
Dan

2008 Damon Astoria 3776
WYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, colorado, travel