Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #15
WDW

So here is my planning question, were coming from NY (Western not the City) and will land in Cody at some point. From there, how would you travel to the West side of Yellowstone. While it seems the east side makes the most sense for a base of operations (Class C with a Jeep towed) it's been said that is too far out. You should base on the west side. So, do you travel through the park with your towed or ???? I'm stuck in planning this part of the trip.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
So here is my planning question, were coming from NY (Western not the City) and will land in Cody at some point. From there, how would you travel to the West side of Yellowstone. While it seems the east side makes the most sense for a base of operations (Class C with a Jeep towed) it's been said that is too far out. You should base on the west side. So, do you travel through the park with your towed or ???? I'm stuck in planning this part of the trip.
From Cody to Old Faithful is 118 miles, to Mammoth Hot Springs 125 miles, most of the way at 45 mph or less. To get to West Yellowstone you would pass through the park, the route north from Fishing Bridge through Hayden Valley to Canyon and then across to Norris then south to Madison and out to West Yellowstone is easiest, you avoid Craig Pass on the road to Old Faithful that way. West Yellowstone is at the park boundary, only 31 miles from Old Faithful, 48 miles to Mammoth, 39 miles to Canyon Village. From Cody to West Yellowstone is 166 miles by above route, 133 mi by way of Old Faithful. About an hours difference in drive time.

Hayden Valley is the grazing area for the bison herds, Norris geyser basin is the hottest (geological) area of the park, Mammoth Hot Springs is the location of Fort Yellowstone, the Army's and NPS historical headquarters.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #17
WDW

Thank you! Would going north out of Cody and crossings over and coming south on 191 make more sense? Quicker? Less traffic?

I appreciate your experience and help.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Thank you! Would going north out of Cody and crossings over and coming south on 191 make more sense? Quicker? Less traffic?

I appreciate your experience and help.

You confused me for a bit referring to "going north out of Cody." and then "and crossings over and coming south on 191." The only road north out of Cody is WY 120 which joins into WY 296 that goes over the Bear Tooth Pass to the YNP NE entrance at Cooke City. It's a spectacular ride, but I'd strongly recommend it in your Jeep, not your RV towing the Jeep! Very rugged, steep grades with switchbacks, etc.

US 191 is a highway # isn't used in YNP. US 191 in WY comes from near Flaming Gorge N to Jackson, Moran Jctn and ends at YNP South Entrance. It then starts again in West Yellowstone, MT.

From Cody you'd use US 14/16/20 (all concurrent) around the north side of Yellowstone Lake to the Fishing Bridge Junction. From there you can turn south and follow the signs to Old Faithful or north to Canyon.

The road into the East Entrance is a beautiful ride, many nifty castle rock formations in the Absaroka Mtns, Buffalo Bill Reservoir, etc.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Just finished a similar trip in early AUG> I wrote a trip report for this forum.

Summer 2015 - Go West Youse Guys
What a great report and wonderful pictures. Really makes us excited about the trip.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #20

Quote:
You confused me for a bit referring to "going north out of Cody." and then "and crossings over and coming south on 191." The only road north out of Cody is WY 120 which joins into WY 296 that goes over the Bear Tooth Pass to the YNP NE entrance at Cooke City. It's a spectacular ride, but I'd strongly recommend it in your Jeep, not your RV towing the Jeep! Very rugged, steep grades with switchbacks, etc.
Not so. WY 120 is a mostly flat road that I used to get to I-90 in Montana. WY120 is also the way to get to 296 and 212.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
WDW was wanting to go into Yellowstone NP. To go N on WY 120 you would go to the junction with WY 296. That would take you up Dead Indian Summit to the Bear Tooth Pass and into the NE entrance to YNP. Yes, you could go up WY 120 to the Montana border where the road becomes MT 72 to US 310 and W I-90. At Livingston you could then go south to Gardiner and the traditional YNP entrance at the Roosevelt Arch. 233 miles, then 57 more miles to go to Old Faithful. My comment, "Very rugged, steep grades with switchbacks, etc." wasn't meant for WY 120, but the Bear Tooth Highway after turning onto WY 296.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #22

Quote:
WDW was wanting to go into Yellowstone NP. To go N on WY 120 you would go to the junction with WY 296. That would take you up Dead Indian Summit to the Bear Tooth Pass and into the NE entrance to YNP. Yes, you could go up WY 120 to the Montana border where the road becomes MT 72 to US 310 and W I-90. At Livingston you could then go south to Gardiner and the traditional YNP entrance at the Roosevelt Arch. 233 miles, then 57 more miles to go to Old Faithful. My comment, "Very rugged, steep grades with switchbacks, etc." wasn't meant for WY 120, but the Bear Tooth Highway after turning onto WY 296.
When I read his post, I thought he meant north out of Cody, west on I-90, south on 191 (since he mentioned 191).

I haven't been into Yellowstone on 212, but I have been to the end of 296, and turned right (away from the park) to go over Beartooth Pass.

BTW, the spike mountain in the backgroud of my pic is "Beartooth".

When I was planning my Yellowstone visit, I also struggled with "where to stay". I decided on Cody because there was a lot to do there. When I left Cody, going west to Salmon, ID, I thought about driving through the park. I finally decided that the traffic was just too much to deal with. I went north on 120.

FWIW, I call all this a friendly discussion. You have obviously been there too.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #23

WDW: You just hijacked the OP's post.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #24
WDW

Nope - dynamic discussion to understand a complicated area for planning. I've come to the conclusion that continuing in to Fishing Bridge is our plan.

I'm betting there are others like me that are lost too!

Now if you ever want to go to Disney I can recite more than you may ever want to know

Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #25

It's all good.
Lots of great info here, keep it coming.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Fourwinds28A, since you're taking kids to visit Yellowstone, you might want to visit the swimming hole. It's not on any maps, but it's Ranger approved. At Madison Junction head south towards Old Faithful, but turn right onto Firehole Canyon Drive. It's a one way road that winds along the Firehole River. As you near the end of the drive, you'll see toilets and parking. On the right side of the road is a staircase that takes you down to the swimming hole. The water is warmed by the hot springs and geysers upstream to about 75. Sandy bottom, rocks to climb and jump off, you can push upstream and float back down with the current. I've been many times.

Up near Mammoth is a place to go into the hot water run off of Mammoth Hot Springs. According to how fast the Gardiner River is flowing and the heat of the run off, it can be difficult to find a comfortable temperature but it is quite an experience to soak in nature's hot tub. Go through Mammoth village and campground towards Gardiner and the Roosevelt Arch. You'll see a sign and parking area for the 45 meridian, half way between the equator and north pole. Pull in to the lot on the right side of the road. If you walk the trail along the river upstream about 800 yards you'll come to the place you can take a dip. Just don't put your head under water, it's not recommended. Each summer for 18 years when we would stay at the Mammoth Cabins I'd take folks down to the "Boiling River" at 6:30 am and we'd soak and often watch antelope grazing on the opposite shore. It's the only hot spring you can go in, again not marked on any maps but Ranger's will tell you about it if asked. If the river is too high the gates to the parking lots will be closed. All the spots the Rangers 'hot pot' are off limits to anyone except those who work in the park.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Fourwinds28A, since you're taking kids to visit Yellowstone, you might want to visit the swimming hole. It's not on any maps, but it's Ranger approved. At Madison Junction head south towards Old Faithful, but turn right onto Firehole Canyon Drive. It's a one way road that winds along the Firehole River. As you near the end of the drive, you'll see toilets and parking. On the right side of the road is a staircase that takes you down to the swimming hole. The water is warmed by the hot springs and geysers upstream to about 75. Sandy bottom, rocks to climb and jump off, you can push upstream and float back down with the current. I've been many times.

Up near Mammoth is a place to go into the hot water run off of Mammoth Hot Springs. According to how fast the Gardiner River is flowing and the heat of the run off, it can be difficult to find a comfortable temperature but it is quite an experience to soak in nature's hot tub. Go through Mammoth village and campground towards Gardiner and the Roosevelt Arch. You'll see a sign and parking area for the 45 meridian, half way between the equator and north pole. Pull in to the lot on the right side of the road. If you walk the trail along the river upstream about 800 yards you'll come to the place you can take a dip. Just don't put your head under water, it's not recommended. Each summer for 18 years when we would stay at the Mammoth Cabins I'd take folks down to the "Boiling River" at 6:30 am and we'd soak and often watch antelope grazing on the opposite shore. It's the only hot spring you can go in, again not marked on any maps but Ranger's will tell you about it if asked. If the river is too high the gates to the parking lots will be closed. All the spots the Rangers 'hot pot' are off limits to anyone except those who work in the park.

Excellent,
Thank You
Old 09-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
llive in NC also Just got back from ND was running back aforth for 2yrs would love to give you some imput on stops on you way we love the travel all around wyoming ,montana ND SD wil give you great places to stop and drop for the night of travel on your path and your safe return you can give me a call if you like e-mail me for cell # we live in richmond co area

aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help