Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Good question and one we run into up here. WA law only requires you to carry chains on certain passes, none of which are on I-5. One other thing is that a vehicle towing anything else is considered a "combination vehicle". The laws on speed limits and even lane usage change for them.
Here's a link to the WA law: WSDOT - Minimum Chain Requirement
I haven't invested in chains for this MH yet, just not going anywhere this winter because of DW's health.
It looks like it may be near the middle of the month before they hand the keys to us. Then we plan to run to storage and load what we need, and then head to Seattle Area (from Fort Lauderdale, FL, )for Christmas.
Trying now to locate a "reasonably-priced" set of chains for the trip. Better safe than sorry although if bad weather arrives, we will be playing it safe somewhere.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
As a Cal resident, I have no knowledge of Cal having such a law. (Was stopped going into Yosemite about a decade ago in our FT4WD Grand Cherokee. Snowing pretty good. Most people were being turned back. The ranger told me that he was required to ask but could not look. He told me my vehicle would handle the situation & to have fun. He was right. I did.) The freeway passes in Cal where snow closures happen go as far south as Cajon in So Cal. I seriously doubt if any of us carry chains. You just watch the weather and wait to go until things are looking good. Finally. All the freeway passes that experience closure in Cal (and I'm in Redding right now) get opened right back up as soon as possible. I wouldn't worry about chains for Cal. But be advised that weather is for cast to be real wet this winter. Many we're hoping!
We think now that after listening to everyone's comments, if we just watch the weather and just carry a set of chains with us and stop if the weather turns bad, we should be ok.
'Could it will probably be worst winter in years.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #17

Thank you so much for this very helpful information, Ron! It may take more time but at least you're moving! It's undoubtedly a very pretty drive too, even if there's wind & rain. Have a great day & thanks again for your help!
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 AM   #18

If you watch the weather you will be fine. We usually make out first trip right after Christmas and its usually just dry and sunny. Its very rare we stop due to weather.The thing that gets people is when it gets bad its really bad and folks don't expect that but its rarely that way especially since the drought. Just go and have fun and catch the weather in the morning.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #19

Summer is a nice time to travel.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
It looks like it may be near the middle of the month before they hand the keys to us. Then we plan to run to storage and load what we need, and then head to Seattle Area (from Fort Lauderdale, FL, )for Christmas.
Trying now to locate a "reasonably-priced" set of chains for the trip. Better safe than sorry although if bad weather arrives, we will be playing it safe somewhere.
You might try calling Les Schwab - they have a policy that you can buy and then return chains if not used. I don't know if there are size restrictions.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
Chains are required in a number of areas so we do carry a set even though I would park and wait out the requirement to install them rather than put them on. I checked for my tire size on Amazon and bought the cheapest set available as they are for show only in case I get checked.

North of the California border to about Canyonville is the only section on I-5 commonly impacted by snow and chain-up restrictions. As an alternative, if you run into this, you can also go over to the coast to get around that section of mountain road. Keep an eye on the weather forecast and road conditions and if they look questionable, take the following coastal route.

Off I-5:
  • Turn west onto Hwy-20 at Williams, CA
  • Follow Hwy-20 until you join up with Hwy-101 just west of Lake Mendocino
  • Head north on Hwy-101 to Reedsport, OR (392 miles)
  • Turn east on Hwy-38 and follow it back to I-5 (exit 162). You'll turn left in Drain, OR
This route avoids all of the mountain passes and higher risk snowfall areas.

Enjoy your new coach.
Appreciate your advice and just wanted to let you know that we have printed off your alternate directions to carry with us should we hit bad weather.

RV hasn't shipped from Red Bay yet so probably won't be able to leave Florida until close to Dec 20, so doubt that we will make it for Christmas eve but hopefully before New Years.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #22

It's looking as though the very heavy rains are more likely to be an issue than snow. Already, 101 is closed near Tillamook because of a big sinkhole that the Highway department say might take 3 weeks or so to fix. NB I-5 in southern WA is blocked by a landslide and it's an area where I-5 was built over the old Hwy99, so there's no real detour.

We're also getting very strong winds (a 75 mph gust last night). We're just hunkered down in the S&B, going out only for dog walks until things settle down a bit. It' been three days so far.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Appreciate your advice and just wanted to let you know that we have printed off your alternate directions to carry with us should we hit bad weather.

RV hasn't shipped from Red Bay yet so probably won't be able to leave Florida until close to Dec 20, so doubt that we will make it for Christmas eve but hopefully before New Years.
As new motorhomers trying to make an epic trip like this on a schedule is going to be very challenging. The winter days are incredibly short and you are going to be facing brand new challenges on a regular basis. I urge an abundance of caution about setting goals like you have outlined. Unless your career was as a long haul truck driver.

The alternate route will be draw-droppingly gorgeous. You could face incredibly high rainfall amounts coming in torrential waves and you more than likely will be driving head into the wind. I have been on the OR coast when the visibility was near zero it was raining so hard.

You will face head on traffic and at least two days of curvy, undulating driving. The shoulders are narrow and in some places that would be a complement. This kind of driving requires you full attention.

Could you possible make a trip like this in 10 days. Certainly it is possible. On the other hand you may get to Seattle and decide you hate motor homing and put your new Tiffin up for sale.

Just my humble opinion.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

We depart Vancouver, BC on Jan. 2, heading for Quartzsite, AZ. You'll probably be through before then but we'll keep an eye out for a shiny new Tiffin heading north. Chances are you'll have no difficulties with I-5 but it's alway nice to know their is an alternative just in case.

I hope your journey in your new rig goes smoothly and that you have a great and memorable trip.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #25

Kind of a heads up: If traveling southern Oregon and northern California in the next few days be sure to check the weather and road cams. Local forecast is snow levels may get down to 3500 feet so there could be snow in the passes.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #26

FYI - There are chain requirements on I-5 in southern Oregon this morning.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
FYI - There are chain requirements on I-5 in southern Oregon this morning.
It dumped at my place last night around 8"-10". At least one section of 101 is still closed from flooding. Earlier in the week a section was closed due to a landslide. We are really getting winter this year. That's a good thing given the drought we have been in.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
We depart Vancouver, BC on Jan. 2, heading for Quartzsite, AZ. You'll probably be through before then but we'll keep an eye out for a shiny new Tiffin heading north. Chances are you'll have no difficulties with I-5 but it's alway nice to know their is an alternative just in case.

I hope your journey in your new rig goes smoothly and that you have a great and memorable trip.
I hope that you had a safe and enjoyable trip.
We haven't experience that joy et because we are still at the dealer trying to get a fix list completed. Been extremely frustrating.

Dealer has a skeleton crew because of the holidays, so here we sit.
Been watching the terrible weather on I-10 the last few days. Wonder if it will clear or will a new storm(s) move in.

We have spent Christmas here on this lot and we are now worried that we may be spending New Years also. Very very disappointing!

Tags
travel, winter