Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Need input for route from Sarasota, FL to Croton on Hudson, NY

Near the end of July we will be leaving Sarasota, Fl to Statesville, NC to visit friends. From NC we will head to Croton on Hudson, New York to visit family then to Selden, Long Island, NY. From NY we are going to Pigeon Forge, TN then return home. We are traveling in a 40' motorhome with a toad.

On the leg from NC to Croton on Hudson, I purposely chose not to drive the I-81 route because we will be driving those roads on our return from NY.

So here's what I have. From Statesville, NC I plan to take I-40
East to I-85 N until I reach the I-85/I-95 Junction south of Richmond. I will get on I-95 and take it North to KOA Fredericksburg, VA where we will spend the night.

The next day we will head North on I-95 to Hwy 17 East until we reach Hwy 301 then we will take it North. We will stay on Hwy 301 until it intersects with I-95 just south of Wilmington, DE. We will travel I-295 North to ????

I had originally thought a crossing the GW Bridge then North on I-87. Then I thought about I-95 to 9W up to I-87 and crossing the Tappan Zee or I could travel a little further North on 9W (Palisades Interstate Pkwy) to Hwy 6 where we would cross the Hudson River then take Hwy 202 South to Hwy 9 to Croton on Hudson.

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

Are you kidding me... No one knows how to get from NC by by-passing DC and Baltimore and arriving in Westchester, NY?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
From I-295 in New Jersey go North to I-195 East and take the New Jersey Turnpike North when you get to it (I-95 at that point). At Exit 10 on the Turnpike take I-287 North to the New York - New Jersey state line and then get on the NY State Thruway south (I-287East and I-87 South, they will be running together). Immediately after you cross the Hudson River on the Tappan Zee Bridge, take the first exit and get on US Route 9 North. This will take you to Croton-on-Hudson. Route 9 is pretty RV unfriendly so just take it slow. North of Croton in Peekskill there a a couple of low clearance bridges that you must stay in the middle of to clear if you're high, but 13'6" will clear if you are careful. If you stop in Croton, this is no issue for you. Hope this helps.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips Ron.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Stick with the previous tip, the road from Bear Mountain bridge is scenic but hairy even for a car by Eastern standards at least. Croton Point park is nice if you're staying there. Train to NYC is right there. Check out Van Courtland Manor across the street and a trip to Bear Mountain in your toad is worthwhile as is Cold Spring. Very cute little town especially if you like antiques.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Bring lots of cash for the Tappen Zee bridge, $13.50 for my mini van and TT and no credit cards accepted.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto the Tapan Zee Bridge. I don't remember the toll we paid (north-bound only) but I doubt it was $13.50-ish including the toad.

Stay away from the GW bridge at all costs as well as the roads leading to it. You can't imagine how slight an event can cause a back up.

Not sure if your stopping at Fredericksburg for a reason, but there is a very nice Cracker Barrel just north of Richmond as well as Dumfries Va. We have over-nighted at both and the price was right both times.
In both cases stay away from the Bus/RV parking spots out front. Drive around back. Plenty of room with a wooded view! Well lit and kinda-sorta quiet. By all means, check in with the staff.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
walmart is also avail there in va all very nice ! load n go !