Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

Nevada SR-225 and Wild Horse Reservoir State Recreation Area

My wife and I are planning on meandering from Caldwell ID down to Sacramento CA in a week or so. Thinking about taking ID-51 south out of Mountain Home ID to Elko NV and staying at Wild Horse Reservoir for the night. We're pulling a 35 foot 5er with our Ram 3500 DRW.

I know ID-51 has some construction going on the Snake River bridge. It's down to 1 lane, controlled by a traffic light, but the rest of the route is unknown to me.

We've seen both sides of all the sagebrush between Caldwell and Sacramento on US-95 & I-80 and US-93 & I-80 a couple of times. Anyone traveled this route or stayed at Wild Horse Reservoir?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #2

been on that road more time than i like to think about, my dads ranch was about 15 miles se of bruneau and my sister lived in mountain city for a while.
it has been to long to advise on the road or the fishing but can guarantee
you that you won't run out of sagebrush. be sure to top your rig as fuel is not available if they think the sun may go down or any day ending in y
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Well, we made the trip and it was a wonderful drive from Caldwell ID to Elko NV. Wild Horse Reservoir was beautiful, windy and cold. We had frost on our windshield the next morning. The campground had a combination of back in and pull through sites. We had no problem finding a pull through that easily accommodated our 53 foot total length. I didn't want to unhook for one night. Campground toilets were all flush type and had separate basins with hot and cold water. Cost was $14/night, dry camping. The also have a dump station at the visitors center.

Altitude can be an issue on this route so pay attention to the weather forecast before heading out. We'd make this trip again, when it was warmer, and spend some time fishing.

Tags
ada