Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Well we are newbies and hope this is where we will get some feedback on our long awaited trip from New Hampshire to the Artic Circle, Alaska.
We depart on or about June 28th and need to return by Sept 15th (15 weeks). Our main stops will include Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, Anchorage, Denali Park, Fairbanks, Homer, Valdez, Seward, and hopefully Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. I plan to buy a used Jeep Wrangler to use as our toad. We have a 1999 37' DP Harney Motor Coach Renegade. I am 50, DW 48. Married 35 years. (This will be a real test to see how long our love!) Comments I am looking for are things like how many miles/hours do you recommend driving a day? Which places are must have reservations? What places should I add to our list? We would like to spend most of our time in Alaska. Thanks for any input and comments. Dave & Kathy
mmadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Well we are newbies and hope this is where we will get some feedback on our long awaited trip from New Hampshire to the Artic Circle, Alaska.
We depart on or about June 28th and need to return by Sept 15th (15 weeks). Our main stops will include Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, Anchorage, Denali Park, Fairbanks, Homer, Valdez, Seward, and hopefully Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. I plan to buy a used Jeep Wrangler to use as our toad. We have a 1999 37' DP Harney Motor Coach Renegade. I am 50, DW 48. Married 35 years. (This will be a real test to see how long our love!) Comments I am looking for are things like how many miles/hours do you recommend driving a day? Which places are must have reservations? What places should I add to our list? We would like to spend most of our time in Alaska. Thanks for any input and comments. Dave & Kathy
Old 02-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It looks like you'll be traveling about 13K+ miles in the coach. Add much more for sightseeing in the toad. My trips out West have seen my toad miles about 70% of the the coach miles.

My planning doesn't get any deeper than what you have outlined. I try to get the high level figured out and then let the details take care of themselves. Some of the best sources of local "must activities" are the CG staff.

As far as miles per day, that will vary greatly. Looking at your OP, its' boogy down the road until you get to the Rocky Mountains. These will be high mileage days. One could say obscene high mileage days. Just don't be a hero and you will know when to stop. There will be places you'll want to stay longer and some you may want to stay shorter. That will be personal preference and weather. If you arrive at a place you wanted to visit and it is going to rain all week, it's time to go to plan "B" (and the Weather Channel).

On the topic of reservations, until you hit the Alaska Highway you should be fine with a 3 or 4 days notice to the next CG. There are many caravan companies that travel the Alaska Highway the same time you will be there. Give as much notice as you feel comfortable for all campgrounds North of the border. The only other problem will be July 4th week. That week is usually has CGs very full. A minimum stay might also be required, the week of July 4.

Other than these items, pace yourself and enjoy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
mmadhatter: Hi. Just returned from our FABULOUS Yukon/Alaska adventure returning to lower 48 this past Oct., so maybe we can help a little. As GaryKD pointed out, avoid setting some arbitrary "miles/hours traveled" each day, you'll definitely stop somewhere you'd like to spend extra time, and, someplaces where you just wanna keep movin on. Now, we also departed in late June, traveling across Canada and we did not once call ahead for reservations. In fact, once you hit Dawson Creek and travel up the Alaska Hwy., campgrounds seldom if ever even take reservations, particulary in the Yukon where phone service might be iffy. I was concerned about not reserving, but, there was always space, but do try to be parked somewhere during the 4th of July (as Gary mentioned). By the way, your Jeep should be perfect for exploring. If ya do get to Fairbanks, and want to travel to Prudoe Bay, DON'T take your motorhome, leave it in Fairbanks. Also, after visiting Fairbanks and Denali be sure to head out on the Kenai down to Seward/Homer etc. and as you said, DO visit Valdez. I'd also very strongly suggest Homer (great fishing, bear viewing) where you can easily hop ferry with your rig across fjord over to Skagway and drive on South from there. ALSO, suggest taking Cassier Hwy. down to Stewart B.C/Hyder,AK and see the Salmon Glacier!!! It's STUPENDOUS!! Aw...there's just too much to cover so if you have specific questions, drop a note and if we can, we'll try to help. Sound like you're going to have one WONDERFUL trip. Steve & Lynette
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback about reservations on the 4th of July. We figured it would take about seven days from NH to Yellowstone, NP (2,400 miles) and guess what, that makes our arrival on the 4th. I called Yellowstone and got the last reservation that would handle our rig size with hook ups! I explained we were new at driving at asked if we arrived a day later, they said that would not be a problem as long as we called. Thanks and keep the comments coming.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
For driving into Canada and the Yukon and Alaska, pick up a new copy of "Mileposts" book. It will be your "bible" for every mile of the way......shows every gas station, cafe, rest area, bathroom, campground, and bump in the road. Superb!

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
PS: Here is the website for Milepost magazine/book.

www.themilepost.com

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote