Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

New Hampshire to Hilton Head

Hello All,

We are taking our MH on our first long road trip, and would like your opinion on the best route fron NH to Hilton Head. We are going to Hilton Head Harbor for 2 weeks at the end of April.

nhjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Born NH and lived in NJ for 5 years - drove to Florida yearly. Whatever you do don't drive thru Wash DC in RV (did it once - root canal is more fun). If you want to visit take the toad!!!. Suggest 684 (White Plains) to 287 to bypass NYC than east on 78 to Harrisburg PA and south on 81 then east on 66 and take 234 east and back to 95 south. We visited Gettysburg /Manassas other Civil Wars sites along the way. JM2Cs.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Hi Joe,

What's the best route? I'm not sure I know the correct answer, but I can share what we've recently experienced. We just returned from a wonderful two week stay on Hilton Head Island. Our trip began from south central PA. Although I-95 is perhaps the most direct route, it does intersect with major congestion areas and always has a very heavy traffic load. We chose to drive I-81 all the way to I-77 through Charlotte NC, to I-26 and then a fairly short section of I-95 onto the island via route 278. We were considering I-95 on the return trip due to heavy snow in Virginia, however we didn't want to contend with the Presidential inauguration this past Monday, so we took the same route home.

I-81 is a busy highway as well. But, there are plenty of services and rest stops and in my opinion, the traffic seems less congested and/or stressfull than I-95. Just my opinion.

We stopped at KOA's in Virginia for overnight accomadations. Both places were close to the highway, had good rates and were just what we needed. Hope this helps.

Joopy

PS - Are you planning on attending the Heritage in April? I'm told the Island is crazy full during the event. I'd love to be there to watch the tourney.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Looks like some good routes. We are getting to HH on the 29th, will miss the golf this time.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

I second or third by-passing NYC and the Washington-Baltimore stretches of 95. Go west to 81 at least until you can get on 66E to 17S which brings you to Fredericksburg VA where you can get back on 95. Also take 295 around Richmond. All of that is more miles but much less hassle. Once you're south of Richmond it's fairly smooth running.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Nh to hh

95 to 495 to 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 back to 95 then south to HH.
The way to go!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Having homes in both NYC and Western SC and traveling to both on a monthly basis I can tell you from personal experience to avoid i95 at all cost. I take 78 west to 81 south to 77 south then pick up 85 south the rest of the way. It adds 16 miles to my trip than taking 95 to 85, but I save an hour or more not fighting traffic in Baltimore, D.C., Richmond, and Charlotte. I know my route puts you out of the way, but I am sure once in Va, you can find a south easterly route to put you back on 95 to Hilton Head.
BTW, I am typing this from my MH in Hilton Head where we are staying for a few days.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help, looking forward to our trip.
Joe
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown
95 to 495 to 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 back to 95 then south to HH.
The way to go!!!
What he said!
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Joe, if you have never been this resort you guys are going to love it! It is a very well maintained resort. What a quite and nice place (tops in our travels so far) Savanna,Ga. is 25 miles to the south, go take the tour of the city. Have fun and safe travels......
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89
Joe, if you have never been this resort you guys are going to love it! It is a very well maintained resort. What a quite and nice place (tops in our travels so far) Savanna,Ga. is 25 miles to the south, go take the tour of the city. Have fun and safe travels......
We own lot 68 there. 1st one on the left when you make the left turn just past the office. You will often see Dolphin playing and feeding in Scull Creek and into the mouth of the harbor. Stop in the office & talk to Sarina or John who are the couple who run the rental office.

Try to have a meal at the Sunset Grill which is overlooking Skull Creek and the point pool. Sunday brunch is really good.

Also go back across the causeway to Bluffton & have breakfast at the "Squat & Gobble" it's on the May River Rd.

Enjoy your stay.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjoe View Post
Hello All,

We are taking our MH on our first long road trip, and would like your opinion on the best route fron NH to Hilton Head. We are going to Hilton Head Harbor for 2 weeks at the end of April.
Using I95 thru Delaware, Maryland and Northern Virginia can be a mess durning morning and evening Rush hours. When heading either North or South on I95, I have no problems like 4am in the morning.

Happy Rving!!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
We own lot 68 there. 1st one on the left when you make the left turn just past the office. You will often see Dolphin playing and feeding in Scull Creek and into the mouth of the harbor. Stop in the office & talk to Sarina or John who are the couple who run the rental office.

Try to have a meal at the Sunset Grill which is overlooking Skull Creek and the point pool. Sunday brunch is really good.

Also go back across the causeway to Bluffton & have breakfast at the "Squat & Gobble" it's on the May River Rd.

Enjoy your stay.
We just left there this morning. We were in lot 142 which was a nice wide secluded lot. We stayed four days and will most likely go back again.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

Enjoy your stay.
That is great Steve, we were lucky to get lot #62 (I think) as other folks were leaving, so we moved. They told us that Mark Martin owned that lot we were on and was going to be for sale soon, it wasn't on the listing when we looked. We really like the view out the front window every morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03576.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	32771