RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

New Orleans to Galveston

Thinking of taking 82 with 31 ft MH and toad.
Any information???

GTonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

Go to Port Arthur, TX and pick up 73 to 124 and then take the Port Bolivar Ferry to Galveston. The ferry is a short trip and very RV-friendly for all lengths. Easy to get on & off with a RV. You may see dolphins playing alongside the ferry.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Looks interesting. I will be making that trip early next year. How much is the ferry?
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #4

Free
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:54 AM   #5

It has been about a year since I last drove 82 in south Louisiana, at the time the pavement condition ranged from good to poor, off and on, you may have 5 miles of recently repaved road, followed by 5 miles that look like it was last re-paved when Jimmy Carter was president. If you are ok with that it is a nice drive, I second taking the ferry across, also at about 370 miles you may want to split it into 2 days, a good place to stop is Palmetto Island State Park just south of Abbeville (215 miles to Galveston taking Hwy 82/73/124/87), it is just a couple of miles off your route, it is nice small state park, one of the newest state parks in the Louisiana state park system, nice campground though I think all the sites are back in sites, nice bath houses with free wifi (very slow), and free washing machines and dryers (as of last year anyway). One Saturday per month the local dutch oven cooking group does a dutch oven cooking demonstration / sampler lunch (donation requested). A couple of more tourist spots worth considering along the way are the Tabasco factory tour (weekdays), and Jungle Gardens at Avery Island, also consider nearby Rap Van Winkle Gardens (great little cajun bistro, with up scale cajun food here). Jungle gardens is more drive through (NOT IN RV), and pull over along the way, big oak trees, as well as some other stuff, including nature area where you are likely to see Alligators. Rap Van Winkle gardens is more manicured tropical style gardens with walking paths.

Alligators are also found swimming and sunning at Palmetto Island State park, particularly in the canoe rental area, and near the boat lunch / picnic area.

My wife and I have been going to Palmetto Island state park the first weekend of February the last 2-3 years, this is the warmest part of Louisiana in winter, being on the shore of Vermilion bay, even a degree or two warmer than New Orleans on average, with highs in the upper 70's / low 80's when we have been there the first weekend of February each time.

p.s. don't take a wrong turn on TX 87 south in Port Arthur, it no longer goes through to TX 87 that goes to the ferry, the beach front highway washed out (washed away) about 35 years ago and is no longer passable. 30 years and several hurricane ago, it was passable but required driving on sand some, now days I am not sure a jeep could make it.

Also this route has 2 ferries if you take 82, one in Cameron, LA the other crossing at the Bolivar Peninsula to Galveston. The Cameron Ferry is smaller, but still carries RV's 18 wheelers, etc. just fine, it is free going one direction (west?) and $1 going the other. Do check to make sure it is in service before you commit to going, if it is down for maintenance it can be out of commission for weeks as they have no spare boats, unlike Texas which has 5 or 6, with 2-3 the often running on the 20 minute crossing most days. See http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/operation...x?PID=F_STATUS
Old 12-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #6

I just read a post where I10 west heading to Houston was absolutely panned. People stating that they never want to drive a road like that again. So, would this work going west from New Orleans;
highway 90 to 14
14 to 82
82 to 27 (with ferry at Cameron)
27 to 82
82 to 73
73 to 124
Ferry to Galveston etc...
Old 12-23-2019, 01:51 AM   #7

Yes that would work, 90 is a good highway, 14 from 90 to 82 is also a good road, but as of 11 months ago turned into a very rough road around Kaplan, 82 down as far as Palmetto Island State park was good as of 11 months ago when I last drove it. Though 2 years ago I know 82 was rather rough just south of there around Esther, I can't comment on the current condition of 82 west of there as I have not driven much of it in recent years. Once in Texas I think 73 is ok, though I last drove it in my car about 2 years ago, and have never driven it in my motorhome, expansion joint spacing on 73 may be an issue depending on your wheel base, and resonance timing. I drove 124 and 87 across to Galveston last weekend with my son in his car, and overall it seemed good, though parts of 87 are a 45 mph construction zone for no apparent reason, so is 3005 for the length of Galveston island until reaching the ($2 cash only toll bridge at San Luis pass) which slows traffic down a lot. The only issue I saw with 87 was some wavy pavement for maybe a mile just after the turn at High Island where 124 becomes 87.

Last Saturday at noon they were running 4 ferry boats at Galveston, so loading delay was non-existent.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #8

Thanks
GTonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Yes that would work, 90 is a good highway, 14 from 90 to 82 is also a good road, but as of 11 months ago turned into a very rough road around Kaplan, 82 down as far as Palmetto Island State park was good as of 11 months ago when I last drove it. Though 2 years ago I know 82 was rather rough just south of there around Esther, I can't comment on the current condition of 82 west of there as I have not driven much of it in recent years. Once in Texas I think 73 is ok, though I last drove it in my car about 2 years ago, and have never driven it in my motorhome, expansion joint spacing on 73 may be an issue depending on your wheel base, and resonance timing. I drove 124 and 87 across to Galveston last weekend with my son in his car, and overall it seemed good, though parts of 87 are a 45 mph construction zone for no apparent reason, so is 3005 for the length of Galveston island until reaching the ($2 cash only toll bridge at San Luis pass) which slows traffic down a lot. The only issue I saw with 87 was some wavy pavement for maybe a mile just after the turn at High Island where 124 becomes 87.

Last Saturday at noon they were running 4 ferry boats at Galveston, so loading delay was non-existent.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

TwoGypsies,
Do I understand correctly that we can take our 38’coach plus toad on the Port Bolivar Ferry? I saw an image on line and it looked a bit more car-sized!! We are headed to Galveston from New Orleans in the spring. Thanks��
Old 01-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #11

Sure no problem, 18 wheelers take it all the time. Here is a youtube video of someone on the smaller Cameron LA ferry, then on the much larger Galveston TX Ferry taking the coastal route from New Orleans to Galveston in a motorhomehome

note they point to sabine pass bridge not the Cameron ferry on their overview map.

p.s. that overhead observation deck on the Galveston Ferry may look low, but it is 16 ft clearance
Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #12

Isaac-1,
WOW. Thanks for the response. 6 minutes and you gave me an answer AND and YouTube video....you rock.. IRV2 strikes again..We will go that route for sure.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott and Ed View Post
Isaac-1,
WOW. Thanks for the response. 6 minutes and you gave me an answer AND and YouTube video....you rock.. IRV2 strikes again..We will go that route for sure.
Yep. Isaac-1 is FAST! He answered your question. No problems with size on the ferry. Enjoy the trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:10 AM   #14

It was just luck, my wife and I had just made it home from the store, and I picked up my notebook computer, clicked to see if there were any replies to my messages in UserCP on IRV2 and yours was at the top of the list.