RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #1

New Snowbird Seattle to Scottsdale

As I plan to leave in early January I'd better get going on my planning! Due to medical issues I was unable to leave earlier or make reservations. On this leg I am traveling from Seattle, WA to Scottsdale AZ. I would like to avoid snow as much as possible. I'm thinking I5 south to San Bernardino, CA and then east On I10 to Phoenix. Barring a bad snow storm in the Siskus is this generally a good route to travel that time of year for this destination. I will hopefully average around 300 to maybe 400 miles a day driving but really no stops or sightseeing along the way. If weather is bad for a few days, I can hunker down and wait it out. Ill be in my 2019 Entegra Esteem 29V towing my Beetle toad. I am carrying chains just in case. Any advice or warnings or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks. I'll post my next leg soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Only sure bet is 101 south to somewhere in CA thenmcut back over to I5. The other option is leave earlier than expectec, if the weather goes south plan to wait it out someplace. Your biggest hurdle will be Myrtle Creek to Redding. If the weather is bad over the summit plan to sit in Medford. Usually ODOT will have the roads cleared in a day.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

At least no snow down the entire San Joaquin Valley, going 99 or I-5, but there is snow on the I-5 Grapevine and some on Hwy 58, both have been off and on open. Now open till next storm.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #4

I'd take the 210 around LA........if going that way.....
Old 12-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Avoid LA.... at Bakersfield take 58 to Barstow then 247 south to Lucerne Valley and on to Yucca Valley then 62 east to 177 south to I-10 at Desert Center.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would second avoiding LA basin unless you have a real need to go through there. We always do 58 out of Bakersfield over to Barstow. Regardless of your route keep an eye on weather reports and states Department of Transportation websites for the latest road conditions.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I do about that route every year. I-5 south all the way into Cal. First stop Seven Feathers pull through's Gas and ride to dinner. Second stop Rolling hills into Cal. pull through's gas and food. Third stop Kit fox Patterson Cal. pull through's gas food. Fourth stop Orange Grove Bakersfield on 58 pull through's gas at truck stops before RV park. Gotta make your own dinner. From there I go back roads to avoid LA and head for Indio for a week before heading to Quartzsite on I-10. Never hit snow on the road over the southern Or area if there were I would hold up a day or two. I did a 40' DPer and trailered toad and now tow with a mini winni.