Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #1

new subscriber needs help

I'm planning a trip from long island ny to wilmington NC and would like to know the best route.I see alot of people are in favor of avoiding 95 in the DC area and taking 81 down.From what I've read on this site many recomended 84 to 81 but from long island it seems that I would have to travel north in order to do this.Any help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome ... I can't speak for all...But when we head out...We let the GPS show the way...Only once has it brought us to an overpass that was too low, that's another story . Good Luck and enjoy NC. If you make it near Charlotte, send us a Private Message (PM) we would love to show you our fair city ....When are you heading out? Good Luck...Peace D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

I would take I-95 and the MANDATORY beltway around Baltimore. You're big decision is whether to take I-95 of the Jersey Turnpike.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahuabus View Post
I'm planning a trip from long island ny to wilmington NC and would like to know the best route.I see alot of people are in favor of avoiding 95 in the DC area and taking 81 down.From what I've read on this site many recomended 84 to 81 but from long island it seems that I would have to travel north in order to do this.Any help would be appreciated.
With DC, the big thing is timing. If you can do it on a weekend you will be ok. There was some construction going on, but it was fairly short. NJ tkpk also had some construction, but little impact on travel lanes. 81 will add too much to your fuel bill, so if it was me I would work on the timing.

Bob
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Welcome ... I can't speak for all...But when we head out...We let the GPS show the way...Only once has it brought us to an overpass that was too low, that's another story . Good Luck and enjoy NC. If you make it near Charlotte, send us a Private Message (PM) we would love to show you our fair city ....When are you heading out? Good Luck...Peace D
Thanks for the info.We're heading down in April but only staying one night then it's a 2 day drive to Key West with a stop in Daytona area.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahuabus View Post
2 day drive to Key West with a stop in Daytona area.
Daytona to Key West is going to make for a very long 400+ mile day. Given the rates in Key West, you may want to consider stopping on the southern FL mainland and arriving a more reasonable hour in Key West a day later. Much of the roadway from the mainland to Key West is only 45mph and traffic is sometimes slower than that!
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Chihuahuabus,

You probably already know that you need to take the Expressways in NY and NOT the Parkways as they have low clearance. I've driven my RV from NJ to Riverhead so I've done that nasty trip through NYC.

Your safest route through NYC would be to take the LIE to the Clearview over the Tappen Zee to the Cross Bronx and get on the GW bridge UPPER LEVEL (since you have propane). You probably know this route already.

Once you're over the bridge, you can take I95 to the NJ Turnpike and then deal with the Baltimore/DC mess.

Since I have hit Baltimore/DC traffic any time I go through, I avoid that route and would take the following:

I-80 West to
I-287 South to
I-78 West to
I-81 South to
I-66 East to
VA Rt. 17 South (make left in Opal, VA) to
I-95 in Fredricksburg, VA

We go to the Keys every Easter and stay in the Sugarloaf Key KOA.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

Just a word of warning, DO NOT GO THROUGH THE TUNNELS ON I-95 IN BALTIMORE. The Transit Police will stop you and if you have propane on board they will write you a very sizeable citation.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #9

Thanks everyone.Still undecided whether to do the 80 route or to just go 95 south and deal with whatever D.C./Baltimore area throws me.Also I saw alot of people hit the florida turnpike before they leave the mainland going to the keys-is that the way to go?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Pick up the FL Turnpike at Ft Pierce. It will take you directly to Homestead. From there it is US1 the 18 mile stretch into the Keys all the way to Key West.

WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote