Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New York Finger Lakes Suggestions

Planning on a NY Finger Lakes trip in June from southern VA via I-81. I will be driving MH with toad and pets. Wife wants to do wine trail and see attractions along way and in area. We plan to end up in Syracuse for Good Sam Rally mid June. We plan on about 200 miles per day with sightseeing or 400 max without. Any suggestions on places to stay, attractions, and things to do will be appreciated. On the road again....

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
We went through that area last summer. We stopped in Ithaca, NY. We parked our MH in the visitor's center just outside of town. Took a taxi into town. We ate at the Moosewood restaurant (famous for it's cookbook). We browsed the other shops and eateries in the downtown area. We drove to the Paleontological Research Institute Museum just a short distance away. You could spend a morning , afternoon, or all day checking things out.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
The wineries are around each of the Finger Lakes. Sightseeing is great in Ithaca, Corning, & Watkins Glen, each have their specialties. You can several days in each. Lots to see in the areas around each. You will fit on all major roads. Some major twisty hills exist on rural roadside the Figer Lakes area. This area is a 1-2 hour drive from the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse and can be a reasonable day trip. The 1000 Islands are also a day trip from Syracuse. Bear in mind that Syracuse is in the central region of NY. A lot of things to do are within a 1-2 hour drive from there, even Niagara Falls.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everybody, I guess we now need to start the planning and looking for places to park each night. I will be checking out some of the state parks and rvreview. All suggestions considered. Also thanks about the imput on Moosehead restaurant. Always looking for local places to eat with.
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #5

There is a city park in Watkins Glen with a full hookup campground that was very convenient. Price was in the low $30 range. It's right down at the tip of the lake.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed at Robert Treman State Park right outside of Ithaca. Nice campground with a hike up the gorge.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I was posting a reply when the maintenance started this morning, so here goes.

To see the NYS Wine Trails in the Finger Lakes, you will probably be better off heading west on Rte. 86 (NY Rte. 17) in Binghamton rather than continuing north on Rte. 81. Once you get a little west, there are several alternatives routes to go into the Finger Lakes and see the wine trails.

The Finger Lake trails are: Keuka Wine Trail, Cayuga Wine Trail, Canandaigua Wine Trail and the Seneca Wine Trail. They all will lead to Rte. 90 (NYS Thruway) on which you head east to Syracuse. Get off at Rte. 690 to go directly to the Fairgrounds and The Rally.

I hope this helps.

Note: One of the optional tours from The Rally is the Finger Lakes Wine Tour, but at 5.5 hours, you will not see all that much since it will take roughly and hour to really get into the Wine Trails.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

A nice central location to camp is Sampson St Pk on the east shore of Senaca Lake. Campground with full hookups if you want and half way between Watkins Glen and Geneva. We live about an hour from there so only camp there for dog shows but it is a nice campground and we use it as a base to go to Watkins Glen and Ithaca and of course the wine trail. If wanted to visit the Finger Lakes, I would camp at Sampson and day trip it to any of the many parks and sites. Don't miss Dr Franks Winery on Keuka Lake but don't go in your MH. Places that we like to eat include: Inn on the Lake in Canandaigua, Ports Cafe in Geneva, the hotel in Watkins Glen has a restaurant that we really enjoy but not sure of the name. There are several wineries that have restaurants also, one we like is Red Newt. You should not miss Suzanne's Fine Regional Cuisine, 9013 State Route 414 Lodi, NY 14860. It is a small place, is not real cheap (for this area) but always has VERY VERY good food. Highly recommend it.
I love to spend a day in Ithaca Commons, just to look at the people. Watkins Glen has a cool sailboat that takes you out on the lake. You will need to make sure there is no race at Watkins Glen or it becomes quickly overcrowded, unless of course you want to see the race, then you can camp at Sampson and drive down.
There is so much to see. I encourage you to take your time and spend as much time as you could.
As others have said, a drive to Niagara Falls is doable in a day, as is a drive to the St Lawrence Seaway and the Wooden Boat Museum and also Letchworth State Park south of Rochester.
I think Upstate NY has some of the best early summer beauty there is anywhere.
Have to stop but if you want more specific stuff or other local favorites, PM me and I can give you more.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Planning on a NY Finger Lakes trip in June from southern VA via I-81. I will be driving MH with toad and pets. Wife wants to do wine trail and see attractions along way and in area. We plan to end up in Syracuse for Good Sam Rally mid June. We plan on about 200 miles per day with sightseeing or 400 max without. Any suggestions on places to stay, attractions, and things to do will be appreciated. On the road again....
walmarts are free and handy... this allstays website is free to use and is kept up to date by users.

Walmart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator

Overnight RV parking etiquette

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is online now   Reply With Quote