Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are planing a trip next year for an alaska cruise. Driving with our 5th wheel. Going with I 90 all the way. After, on our way back south into & through Oregon. Heading for Bend OR then on to Reno. Are there any mountain Passes That might be a problem for an RV In Oregon
Thanks for any help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are planing a trip next year for an alaska cruise. Driving with our 5th wheel. Going with I 90 all the way. After, on our way back south into & through Oregon. Heading for Bend OR then on to Reno. Are there any mountain Passes That might be a problem for an RV In Oregon
Thanks for any help

Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #3

We just made that run from New Hampshire to Seattle and back including the Reno sidetrip, Yellowstone, Rushmore, and of course wall Drug. We were driving a 38 foot diesel pusher with an Allison 4 speed and had no problems. Our rig is 17 years old. Use common sense on the down hill runs keeping the engine RPM's in check and using the gear box and engine as braking aids. My rule is simple. What ever gear I needed to climb a grade is the gear that I will be in going down the otherside, and the speed that I had climbing will be the descent speed. Have a great trip.
Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer and the Hedgehog
Kitty kat: Earl
Car trailer with Whitey Ford
navigation: CoPilot 9 laptop
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geojudi59:
...After, on our way back south into & through Oregon. Heading for Bend OR then on to Reno. Are there any mountain Passes That might be a problem for an RV in Oregon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you travel the major roads in Oregon, there are no "mountain passes" over about 4500' that you have to be concerned about. We have the Cascades in Oregon, not the Rockies. Your trip on I-90 will take you to much higher altitudes than Oregon roads. We traveled it this past summer.

You have a couple of options to get to Bend. One way, with minimal altitude change from I-5, take I-84 east along the Oregon side of the Columbia River to US97. Take US97 south to Bend.

Another option is to take I-5 south to Salem, then take OR22 east to US97. Or, continue south on I-5 to Albany, then take US20 east to US97.

I prefer the slower, scenic routes, so I'd choose OR20. However, if you've never seen the Columbia River, then I'd recommend it as my first choice.

Enjoy.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Paul, That was very helpfull.

George