Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster65 View Post
This is a first, hopefully won't be the last. We'll be heading out from the East Coast of Florida soon on our way to Denver visiting family. I rented this 29 footer A class and am confused as to which way to go. Mapquest tells me head North thru TN and that way, friends are telling me go South thru the Bayou
and Texas then head North. Not being familiar with either I am open to suggestions and why one course would be better than the other. I also put the KOA app on my phone, maybe someone knows of a better one. We have a whopping 2 weeks plus to do it all and my days of driving 12 hours straight are long gone. This will be a learning experience, I'm hoping for a lot of fun.
I appreciate all comments and suggestions!
Weather, Heat, Sights - would tend to guide my route - avoid big cities at rush hour - your trip will be every bit of 1850+ miles, so how many hours will you drive each day? (You will be lucky to average 50 MPH = 37 hours of driving) That will take more than half your time if you just 8 hour days (5 days each way - leaving just 4 days in Denver) Hard to believe these RV's don't Fly! they Roll.

If you really want to spend time in Colorado, look into a flight out and Rent the RV there, just a thought? or adding another week so as to be able to enjoy at least a little of Colorado?

I know I have given little advise on the original question but reality is you really need to look hard at the trip you have planned, as it is not really well thought out.

I love to drive and this drive is just like the drive from Maryland to Colorado, 1,800+ miles, is almost the same (I have driven it at least 25 times and flown it 50 so I have some idea on the reality of the drive)

Your dilemma is one that comes up more often than not on the forum - so really think about it, most likely you are going to visit friends in Colorado and this just seems like a great way to travel, well it is but on the first trip I suggest you Travel Less and RV more. Plan every day and see where it puts you - then you might get a real idea of what to expect on this trip.

Just a few thoughts that come to mind,

Best of Luck,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Weather, Heat, Sights - would tend to guide my route - avoid big cities at rush hour - your trip will be every bit of 1850+ miles, so how many hours will you drive each day? (You will be lucky to average 50 MPH = 37 hours of driving) That will take more than half your time if you just 8 hour days (5 days each way - leaving just 4 days in Denver) Hard to believe these RV's don't Fly! they Roll.

If you really want to spend time in Colorado, look into a flight out and Rent the RV there, just a thought? or adding another week so as to be able to enjoy at least a little of Colorado?

I know I have given little advise on the original question but reality is you really need to look hard at the trip you have planned, as it is not really well thought out.

I love to drive and this drive is just like the drive from Maryland to Colorado, 1,800+ miles, is almost the same (I have driven it at least 25 times and flown it 50 so I have some idea on the reality of the drive)

Your dilemma is one that comes up more often than not on the forum - so really think about it, most likely you are going to visit friends in Colorado and this just seems like a great way to travel, well it is but on the first trip I suggest you Travel Less and RV more. Plan every day and see where it puts you - then you might get a real idea of what to expect on this trip.

Just a few thoughts that come to mind,

Best of Luck,
Sorry did not read through all the posts - You are on the road - Let me add an app that might help with traffic - WAZE ( https://www.waze.com/ ) - will warn you of all sorts of things - Great to let yo know of pending doom easy add on at night when you stop.

Sounds like you enjoyed your first stop - but you need to get out on the road - long way to go and not that much time.

Keep reporting back and let us know how you do.

BOL,

Old 08-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Not sure where you are but we just came to Denver from east TN and our route for the second time was I-40 to Nashville, I-24 to Paducah, west on US-60, north on US-51& IL-3, west on IL-146 to I-55N, then I-270, I-64w, I-70w to Denver. It was all pretty good road, especially thru KS and the only challenge was an older bridge across the Ohio River on US-51. It felt a little narrow so we just took our time and passed by a couple of semis with no problem.
Big Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #18

Westward Bound

Wow, finally made it, nice place in Golden, CO, the last 16 miles on 70 took 45 minutes, campground a bit more than I expected, chalk that up to poor planning. This trip definitely was a learning experience, spend some days here in the hills and head back next week. Next class A I rent I will drive first, hard to believe they are all this rough, not one bump did I not feel. Just a FYI this is a 2015 Thor Ace 27' with only 13,000 miles on it. It either needs new tires, springs, struts, no clue but the ol' deuce and 1/2 had a smoother ride!
Thanks again to all for the advice and suggestions, probably going to take the same route back to Florida.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster65 View Post
Wow, finally made it, nice place in Golden, CO, the last 16 miles on 70 took 45 minutes, campground a bit more than I expected, chalk that up to poor planning. This trip definitely was a learning experience, spend some days here in the hills and head back next week. Next class A I rent I will drive first, hard to believe they are all this rough, not one bump did I not feel. Just a FYI this is a 2015 Thor Ace 27' with only 13,000 miles on it. It either needs new tires, springs, struts, no clue but the ol' deuce and 1/2 had a smoother ride!
Thanks again to all for the advice and suggestions, probably going to take the same route back to Florida.
It's a House Mounted on a TRUCK! and rides like a house on a Truck, only way to get smoother ride is to not hit BUMPs, or put a house on a BUS (DP)!

JMHO,

. .

Tags