Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #1

Smile newbie needs help planning trip from SoFla to Bar Harbour

Hi Folks, We are newbies and the proud owners of a 2015 Jayco Seneca. Need some help planning a trip from So. Fla to Bar Harbour. Thought about traveling 95 but have heard horror stories about DC and New York. Also need to consider clearance as our rig is 13'2". Any ideas? we only have a little more than 2 weeks so plan on driving about 450-500 miles each day to reach destination and then take our time returning. Planning on 5-7 days in Bar Harbour and then heading south. Any advice appreciated.
Hellcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

For a change of pace, peel off I95 in Va and go over to Norfolk, and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There is a big parking lot on the north side of the bridge that's great for over night. Then catch the ferry from Delaware to Cape May, NJ. From there you can go up the toll road & cross the river on the Tappan Zee bridge. After that you can take 287 back to I95 and points north.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trip planning

Take a look at this

Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!

it is a subscription service but quick and easy to use.

WayneGD
05 HR Nep
WayneGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Thanks Steve, We looked at the CBB but if I am reading correctly, the clearance in the tunnel is 13'6". We need 13'2" isn't that cutting it too close??
Hellcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:26 PM   #5

I'd be looking at 95 to 64 in Richmond to 81 to 84 to 495 back to 95 as far as Kittery ME. After that I would be looking at doing some of Rt 1 because I like the scenery. YMMV.

You can also do 26 to 77 to 81. The trick is to avoid the Washington-Boston corridor. I just did Harrisburg PA to Melbourne Fl on that part of my first suggestion a couple of weeks ago. Nothing horrendous sticks in my mind. I run N up 15 from Harrisburg to central NY.

You are looking a ~ 2000 miles each way. That will be a tough slog for 2 weeks. At 500 mi/day that is 4 days up, arrive stressed, 6 days to play and 4 days back. I'd think it over. The Bridge Tunnel and ferry route is prettier but you will be screwed by schedules and the need to deal with NYC. Not my idea of a fun trip either way.

Did a little Google mapping. The 26-77-81 variant takes an hour off but still 1900+ miles. I think I would do a couple of Walmart nights just so I could do longer days and only park to eat and sleep. Maybe a nap here and there. You will probably still want a camp ground by day 3 just to dump and fill.

I also assume you have reservations for Bar Harbor and have a towed to get around with. If not you might want to reconsider.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with nothermark on either route except peel off 84 in Southington CT onto 691. Drive to 91 and head north to Hartford. You can get back on 84 on the east side of Hartford. Travelling on the west side of Hartford on 84 is the pits in a MH. Try to plan your fuel fills outside of PA, NY and CT. They all have outrageous fuel prices, especially PA!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

[QUOTE=nothermark;2560934]I'd be looking at 95 to 64 in Richmond to 81 to 84 to 495 back to 95 as far as Kittery ME. After that I would be looking at doing some of Rt 1 because I like the scenery. YMMV.

This is the route we use everytime we head to Lobstah country.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I saw the same on the tunnel clearance ay 13'6". I just had mine measured and the AC sits at 13'3". close for sure. I know the antennas would flex for sure
Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #9

FWIW I think those are worst case clearances of an arched tunnel roof. It's still close but they run semi's through there with the same problem.

We went down that way around 10 years ago. The DelMarVa peninsula has a lot of interesting places. That is a route I would like to do again but I would not suggest doing it on the way from Florida to Bar Harbor. I might do it instead of Bar Harbor.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags