Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newbie RVers - Bay Area to Winnemucca to Couer d'Alene

Hi all,
Fairly new RVers with a 36' DP, no toad; going to take our first extended road trip ( 16 days & nights) beginning Sept 27. Will head out of the SF Bay Area, over the Sierras and on to Winnemucca. From there, we want to head north to Couer D'Alene ID.

I was looking at Google Maps and it looks like we can take Hwy 95 north from Winnemucca, clip the SE corner of Oregon and then on up Hwy 95 through ID into Couer D'Alene.

First question: what is Hwy 95 like between Hwy 84 (around Ontario ID) and Lewiston? It looks on the map like this is a valley between two mountain ranges and might be reasonably easy travel.

The reason I ask is... my wife suffers from motion-sickness pretty easily. Plus - she doesn't drive the rig (and has no intention of driving either) which would be one way to alleviate her queasiness.

I don't want to spend 16 hours of driving 25 mph in nothing but twisties and undulating uphill / downhill. We do prefer to 'see the scenery' instead of just grinding out the hours / miles on a superslab.

Neither of us has ever been into that area of the US so we have absolutely NO idea of what to expect in regard to road / travel conditions. We aren't locked into this route but will be making a loop from ID back through WA and OR and back to California over the course of the trip. Don't want to double-up on any stretch of road if we can avoid it.

PLEASE most wise and experienced RVers - share some of your well-earned knowledge.
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

It's been years since I drove that route in a car, it is a winding road.
JMHO: Check that wildfires in the area are out before you head up to Idaho, heavy smoke in the area now. I know you're planning for next month but unless they get some real rainfall the area might still be in trouble for fires.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #3

95 is a good highway and is the main north south route from southern Idaho to northern Idaho. it does follow the salmon river most of the way so there is curves and straight section like most state highways. you have two pretty good climbs white bird and lewiston but nothing you will have a problem with.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Many thanks!

Thank you Skip426 and Beaverfever!!

I appreciate the feedback on both counts. The fires are a greater concern than some motion sickness. Not a problem even having to re-think the trip route. We will be in "wander mode".

Nothing in stone, watching our for stuff that catches our eye or appears fascinating. Took the same approach on a 2-week trip in New Zealand last year (much smaller rig; similar to Sprinter chassis but built by Ford). Had a wonderful time just meandering.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Jay and Valerie - 1996 Monaco Dynasty, Count 36FD. Coach #66387 C 8.3-300 hp; Allison 3060, 6.5 LP generator, no slides. New to us (3-30-2015)
BigPapaYams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #5

If you're in no hurry and want the most scenic route, the one you chose seems to be a good one.

If you want to be on interstates and/or 4-lane highways from Ontario on, I'd suggest you take I-84 when you get to Ontario, then I-82 through the Tri-Cities, then US395 to Ritzville and I-90 to Spokane and on to Coeur d'Alene. It's all 4-lane or more.

Although US 95 is not a bad road and not one where you'll have to slow to 25 MPH anywhere, it's still a very long way on a two-lane road ...for some, it gets stressful passing, being passed, and yielding to traffic back-up behind you (pulling over when five or more vehicles are backed up behind you on a two-lane highway as is the law in most states) but it is much more scenic than the route I suggested.

The wildfires will hopefully be under control when you are traveling near the end of September ...HOPEFULLY. What's happening in my home state of Washington is just so sad and frustrating to see.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags