Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Newbie's first trip:AZ to MD

I'm picking up my first RV near Phoenix, AZ, and driving it back to Annapolis, Maryland. I 'd be happy to hear some thoughts about the best route and nicest campground stops along the way, and any other travel tips you 'd like to pass along.
Linda
outofdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

When are you planning to make this trek?

How familiar are you with driving an RV?

How familiar are with driving in winter conditions?

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I-40 east to I-81 north. Check rv partky.com
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #4

Have driven 5th wheel horse trailers on icy roads over the years and I've driven a 5th wheel trailer and a motor home up and down the east coast.This is my first experience with one of my own.
When would be the best time to go? I was thinking May.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

The best route will depend on the weather ... if you go north from Phoenix on I-17 to catch I-40 that will take you to Flagstaff which is nearly 7000 feet ... winter storms are unlikely in May but are possible (I have never personally been caught in Flagstaff ... but I have been caught in Utah on I-70 in May) That time of year the roads will be clear in a day so pull off and wait.

You could also go east from Phoenix on I-10 and pick up I-20 in west Texas ... this would give you a more southern route in case there is a late storm across the I-40 route.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

Some hints: do the 300/3Pm routine, thats where you drive 300 miles, or stop at 3:00 pm, whichever comes first.
Get some type of trip planner,[ streets/trips, or good sam], determine where you will be after 300 miles and look up the available campgrounds, or other things to see and do.
The Southern route will get warmer faster, so a Northern route may be desirable.
The further East you get, the more traffic you will have to contend with. Keep that in mind around the big cities.
Get a "trip check list", and do the walk-around. Be sure everything is secure before you take off, both inside and outside.
Be mindful that sometimes the "right lane", becomes an "EXIT ONLY" and you get caught, and traffic will not let you "move over.
MOST IMPORTANT....HAVE FUN. Don't make it a chore>>
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #8

Thanks Tom3205,
I'm receiving some excellent advice and yours is very welcome. Except for buying this RV(!), I'm usually pretty conservative in my life. So, the 300 mile/3pm agenda sounds good.
I've driven a large motor home before, so at least I'm not a rank beginner!
My decision today is whether or not to buy a warranty. I'm getting good ideas from the folks here on both sides of the issue. I'm thinking of making the purchase "just to be on the safe side", as is my nature.

Tags
newbie, newbies