Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
NH to DCA Route thru NJ???

Hello All,

I am just route planning our trip from southern NH to DCA and I have heard that if I go through NJ, I can avoid both the Tappen Zee and GW Bridge and the associated New York traffic. When I try various planning software, Good Sam, Mapquest, etc...they all route me over one of the two bridges. I don't mind a longer drive to avoid the city. Does anyone have any ideas on this route and have they done it??

Please elaborate....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
Hello All,

I am just route planning our trip from southern NH to DCA
Faith, Can you please extend this acronym, DCA?

Thanks
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If DCA is Reagan National Airport and your leaving from say Nashua, NH, you can take the following route to avoid the bridges:

1. I495 to Mass Turnpike (I-90)
2. I-90 to I-84
3. I-84 to NY Thruway (I-87)
4. I-87 to I-287
5. I-287 to I-78
6. I-78 to NJ Rt. 31 South (this is a well know trucker shortcut)
7. NJ Rt. 31 to I-95
8. I-95 thru Philly, Baltimore and down to DC

I live by the NJ portion and have done this route many times. You may still get slammed with traffic in Philly and Baltimore.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry....I forgot and slipped back into my past life in the travel business...Yes, DCA is indeed the abbreviation for Washington Reagan Airport. And yes, I am looking for the best route from soutern NH to the Washington DC area. We will be staying at Cherry Hill Park Campground in Maryland from the 18th to the 25th of August. I really hate driving the coach through any cities or congestion and would welcome any and all tips. We are planning on driving half the way and stopping somewhere (a rest area, Walmart, etc...just to catch a few winks and then continuing on to arrive at the campground early in the day.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
One option to avoid Philly and the tolls in Delaware is to stay on I-78 into PA. I78 will lead into I-81 and then you take I-83 South through York, PA (Harley factory tour!), and down into North Baltimore and the 695 beltway.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
2. I-90 to I-84
4. I-87 to I-287
IMO the best route for this section - I use it regularly to go to PA and VA. It avoids the NYC Metro mess for the most part; The Eastbound toll over the Hudson River is much cheaper on I-84 (Newburgh-Beacon bridge) than bridges/tunnels closer to the city; The route is much prettier.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fansill View Post
I am sorry....I forgot and slipped back into my past life in the travel business...Yes, DCA is indeed the abbreviation for Washington Reagan Airport. And yes, I am looking for the best route from soutern NH to the Washington DC area. We will be staying at Cherry Hill Park Campground in Maryland from the 18th to the 25th of August. I really hate driving the coach through any cities or congestion and would welcome any and all tips. We are planning on driving half the way and stopping somewhere (a rest area, Walmart, etc...just to catch a few winks and then continuing on to arrive at the campground early in the day.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Faith
this free website may help you find a place to stop for the night.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #8

Just to make you feel better about by-passing the city , we went to Cherry Hill Park last year and took 95 all the way down and back from just south of Boston and the tolls for the MH and Toad were $151.00.
This year we went to Fort Wilderness at Disney and paid $8.50 for the Mass Pike and $4.95 for the Newburgh Bridge . NO more 95 for us!
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1. I495 to Mass Turnpike (I-90)
2. I-90 to I-84 and over the newburgh bridge
4. I-87 to I-287

Ditto on the above...

I use that route sometimes..It is about 25 minutes longer than going over the Tappan zee. Tappan zee is free going south, toll is for northbound. I avoid the George Wash. Bridge at ALL costs.
I am not concerned about skipping tolls so I grab the Garden state parkway and then I go one of two ways...
If I am going direct to Philly or Baltimore I go NJ turnpike off the GSP... and down over the Delaware Memorial and south from there.

I have a shore place in S. Jersey so I will sometimes go to my place and stay a couple of days and go over on the ferry and across Delaware and south that way. Then you get hit with all the tolls on the GSP and about a 90 dollar ferry fee for two people , a motorhome and a toad.... I am not sure but you might be able to overnight at the ferry terminals. I never had to so I never found out if you can.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote