Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
NH to FL

Heading south to Tampa area for December and will be avoiding NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC. Probably taking I84 to I81 to I77 to I26, then I95 and cut across to Tampa from Jax. I will do this in three days (probably). I've done the direct route in two, but that is a bit much. Any thoughts on where to overnight along the way?

BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BoA36,
No thoughts on overnight. However, consider taking I81 all the way until it merges with I40 West. I40 west to Knoxville and pick up I75 South. I75 south all the way to Tampa. Just time your travel through Atlanta to be during off peak hours. This should be easy as there are many places to stay not far from I75. If not stopping, I drive straight through, staying on I75. Sounds like this is a commute trip. If you have the time and never been, consider stopping at Stone Mountain for a night or two. It is North East of Atlanta just beyond the beltway. They have a CG. A perfect spot to get the early morning jump on traffic.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We normally make our 1st stop at the Walmart in Wilkes-Barre, PA off I81. We do have friends there, so it may not be far enough south for your 1st stop. You'll be greeted by many RV'S there in December. RVParky says no overnight parking, but we've never had a problem there. We last stayed there in early November with 11 other RV'S.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would get off I84 in Hartford and head south on I91. Exit I91 onto I691 and travel back to I84. This avoids the awful traffic around and SW of Hartford.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Gary - Thanks for the suggestion. What is the advantage of picking up I75 so far west?

Terry
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I make my first stop at South 40 in Petesburg Va, It's a long day but a good stop with a fuel stop between the park and 95. Second night is Lake Harmony in Townsend Ga. Not sure about this year with a 40 footer as many of their spots are on the short side. I'll call before I leave home.
With that stop, I'm in Crystal River in the third afternoon. However in Florida, I get off 95 at A1A, turn right and stay on that till it becomes 301. Just north of Ocala, take 326 over to 75 and you're good to go. Watch your speeds on 301 though.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BoA36,
You are not far west. When I81 ends, you will be on I40 West for about 30 miles and then pick up I 75 South. If you look at a map, Knoxville is directly North of the West side of Florida. If you were going to the Ease side of Florida, the route you proposed would be correct. Looking to go to the West side of Florida I 75 gets you directly there.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote