Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #1

Niagara Falls to Maine route?

We will be traveling cross country from California to Maine as stated in some of my earlier posts. Still undecided on how to proceed east from Niagara Falls ending up in the Bar Harbor area of Maine. Should we go through the Adirondacks or around them and then come into Burlington VT? What's the best way to go east from Burlington? Is Bar Harbor worth the trip or would staying in southern Maine down by Portland be just as good? And will I-95 be okay for our 38 foot fifth wheel? I've noticed a lot of comments about traveling down 95, which aren't too great. Help! Overwhelmed!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have lots of time, I would suggest going north from Niagara Falls and follow the "Seaway Trail" to northern NY. Then, cross Lake Champlain, through northern VT and NH to ME. Route 2 is not a bad ride, and the scenery is beautiful. As far as ME is concerned, again, it depends on the time you want to spend. Bar Harbor/Acadia are beautiful, and after Labor Day, southern ME, Portland south are not crowded. You should not have any trouble with campgrounds, but do remember that some of the more northern ones will start to shut down in late September, early October. Most New England campgrounds close around Columbus Day, but there are exceptions, both ways.
Yeah, avoid 95 as long as you can. But again, after today, the traffic will be a lot more tolerable.
Enjoy your trip - beautiful part of the country you will be visiting.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Depends if you are in hurry or on a time table. We live in southern Vt next to Albany, NY (1 hour away) and travel to ME. often with the RV (25'). Quickest would be the Thruway in Ny to Albany, then 87 north to 7 east 1 hour to Vt 9, over 9 to 91 north to 9 again to Keene, NH. Then we stay on 9 east and not 101 to Concord, pick up 89 south to 93/293 south, then 101 east to the shore and 95 north to ME. 95 in ME is a a toll. Get off at Kittery to shop at the discount stores. DW will love it. Not bad for us guys either! Stay on ME 1 north to Wells and points north. Traffic this time of year will be less however there will be a lot of folks out there but without children now that school is in session. If you are an Elk you can stay in Wells at the lodge or any of the RV parks along the way. The KOA is decent just watch pulling out in the morning as there is a close pine tree that has met many unfortunate campers with larger rigs. The trip from southern Vt to Wells takes us 4-5 hours typically.
Alternate route would be to come out of Keene on 9 to Concord and then go north on 89 to 393 east to 4 east to Dover where you can pick up the Spaulding Tpk south to Portsmouth and 95 into ME. There is a Walmart in Concord and Portsmouth that allow boondocking.
The trip aound the Adirondacks thru the seaway wouldnot be bad but might be slower. In Plattsburgh it would be easier to go north around Rouses Point to avoid the ferry to Vt. Adds time but is less $. Take 89 south to NH and follow the above route of choice in Concord.
If you need tips on eating places or sites in ME just give me a holler.
wogden is offline   Reply With Quote