Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

NJ Garden State Parkway re: 5th wheel

Anyone familiar with the trailer regs on the GSP from Jersey Tpk North to the Tappan Zee?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you look here: New Jersey Turnpike Authority

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #3

Thanks, I checked that site and it refers only to "heavy trucks". I'm sure I've seen 5vers and motor homes on the northern stretch. Looking for some local 411 on this issue.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:40 AM   #4

On a related topic - I drove the GSP last week with a TV and learned you can use the easy pass lanes without stopping at the toll if you have an easypass. It automatically charges you.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #5

I have traveled the parkway several times from the southern end to cross the Tappan Zee with no problems. I have a 40' fifth wheel and have gone by police cars checking for speed violators and they have never given chase so you should have no problem. And yeah, I agree with the EZ Pass. If you're gonna pay tolls they make it much easier.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

There are no restrictions on the GSP for RV's, and yes use EZ Pass. On second thought a 5er pulling a boat/car behind it might attract some unwanted attention.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

You can tow your fifth wheel on the Garden State Parkway. Watch out for the potholes and the inconsiderate drivers.

Bruce
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Just north of where the NJ Turnpike crosses the GSP, there are a number of overpasses that are fairly low. Based on the posted heights, my motorhome will not fit under them in the outer lanes. It looks like I would fit if in the middle lanes. I am new to RV and have my first one. Have not done the trip yet. I'm a bit anxious but want to go that way next month. My height is 12.5 feet. Can anyone with a height similar to mine confirm that I will be ok if I stay in the middle lanes for these overpasses? It will save me a lot of time instead of having to go all the way around on I287.

My Garmin RV760LMT will not route on the GSP. It's database must think RV's are not allowed on GSP even though website for parkway and turnpike says they are allowed. Annoying.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

Just returned from there this week. Told RVs not allowed while CoachNet and Good Sam routed me there. Called to complain. CoachNet checked, talked to State Police and returned call stating authorized. Relieved to here and saw multiple RVs on Parkway both north and south bound.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Reading many sources, (none official or really definitive) The Garden State Parkway is open to RVs from south end (Cape May) to Exit 105. From that point, no commercial vehicles (except buses) over 7,000 lbs. RVs with non-commercial plates seem O.K., but north of Exit 105, some arched overpasses are low clearance in right lane, stay over one lane from the right lane. Now some facts for the whole GSP: NO TOW DOLLIES, you must tow 4 down. Maximum length is 55' combined length. ($160 fine)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going north the low overpasses start at mile marker 137 and it is a 7 mile stretch with several arched overpasses. The left lane and right shoulder have height markings and some come in close to 10 ft. I have traveled it many times with a motorhome at 128. I stayed in the middle 2 lanes and had no problems. They have several warning signs as you approach mile marker 137. You will be fine just stay in the middle.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #12

There are no restrictions on the Garden State Parkway for RVs. I would caution you however, that in the Irvington area, approx 140 mile post, there are some low overpasses. If you stay in the middle lane you will have no problems.

Tags
5th wheel