Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #1

NJ to Colorado Springs CO.

This is my first big trip from Hamilton,NJ to Colorado Springs,CO. I Wasn't Shure to take Rt80 or Rt70, I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 teenage daughters mid July and was concerned with traffic on 70 and mountains but would like scenic, we are new to Class A and took a few 300 mile trips in our new to us 30' '98 Bounder,any help with a route would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Jbrie69:

G'morning. Well,.....if we were to make the run you're planning, we'd hop on I-70 and get over to Colorado without much delay since we'd want to spend the majority of our vacation time there. Not to deminish the "scenery" over your way, but, on either I-80 or I-70 there is just not much in the way of scenery until ya are approaching Colorado Springs (or Denver) and the rockies,....then.....it's fabulous.

You'll likely not encounter any worries about "mountains" (ie., mountain driving) the whole way unless you continue West from Colorado Springs. You didn't mention whether you'll be towing another vehicle, but we'd sure recommend it if not. Parking your rig in Colorado Springs, then touring into the mountains with a tow vehicle might be the way to go.

Have a great trip.

Steve & Lynette

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #3

The only "mountains" that you will encounter on your trip will be in PA and WV ... and the people from out west consider them to be "hills"

The rest of the trip you will be travelling through the "bread basket" of this great country ... you will pass miles of fields of wheat, corn, and oats ... pastures with beef and dairy cattle ... that is where your bread, cheerios, prime rib, cheese, cornbread is grown ... it is not scenic in the photogenic sense ... but it pretty awesome to understand how the farmers and ranchers feed the people of the this (and other) country.

If you do not have a toad ... I suggest you rent a car when you arrive in Colorado Springs to do some touring ... Garden of the Gods, Royal Gorge, Air Force Academy, Buena Vista area (14,000 ft peaks)

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

I also forgot to mention that the I-70 route avoids the Chicago area which usually has heavy traffic, tolls, and construction (at least 2 of the 3)

This route takes you through St. Louis ... home of the Gateway arch and the wonderful museum of the Lewis and Clark expediton ...

Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the help,I'm going to try 70 to get there and if I don't like it I'll take 80 back. Half the fun in an RV is the journey.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Jbrie69:

Once you get around Philly, take the PA Turnpike to I-70 and you'll have clear sailing!

If you have time, stop by the Gateway Arch and take the ride to the top. You will also pass Royals and Arrowhead stadiums in KC. After that, it's pretty desolate through Kansas, just watch for crosswinds.

I80 does not have much more to offer.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do take 70 when you get to Limon, CO exit and take Hwy 24 to Colorado Springs it shortens your trip a lot and is a very easy road. PM me if you have any questions about the area, campgrounds etc.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

The Eisenhower Presidential Library is in Abilene, KS ... just off I-70

Eisenhower Library

I missed it ... and regret it ... I have been told it is one of the better presidential libraries ...

The Harry Truman presidential Library and family home are in Independence, MO ... it is amazing to see how simply Harry lived ... his coat is still hanging on the hook where he always hung it ...

Truman Library

Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrie69 View Post
This is my first big trip from Hamilton,NJ to Colorado Springs,CO. I Wasn't Shure to take Rt80 or Rt70, I'll be traveling with my wife and 2 teenage daughters mid July and was concerned with traffic on 70 and mountains but would like scenic, we are new to Class A and took a few 300 mile trips in our new to us 30' '98 Bounder,any help with a route would be appreciated.
I70 is your best bet. And, at Limon, Colorado take 24 to Colorado Springs unless you want to go thru Denver. At Limon there is a Pilot/Flying J truck stop that has good RV lanes with diesel, gas, water, LP gas, etc. Stopped there 2-3 years ago and it was a brand new station then. Going across Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and eastern Colorado will be fairly flat easy traveling. Might be windy in Kansas and Colorado. Several nice campgrounds around Colorado Springs if that is your finally destination west.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp
The Eisenhower Presidential Library is in Abilene, KS ... just off I-70

Eisenhower Library

I missed it ... and regret it ... I have been told it is one of the better presidential libraries ...

The Harry Truman presidential Library and family home are in Independence, MO ... it is amazing to see how simply Harry lived ... his coat is still hanging on the hook where he always hung it ...

Truman Library
Don't forget to stop at Fort Riley and visit this historic old post. Right off I70 past manhattan kansas. Custer was here the 9th & 10th Cavalry two nice museums www.riley.army.mil
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Jbrie69:

Once you get around Philly, take the PA Turnpike to I-70 and you'll have clear sailing!

If you have time, stop by the Gateway Arch and take the ride to the top. You will also pass Royals and Arrowhead stadiums in KC. After that, it's pretty desolate through Kansas, just watch for crosswinds.

I80 does not have much more to offer.
Ditto -- we drove to KC, MO from Southeastern PA via I-70 and it is smooth sailing and a straight shot.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for your great reply's. I was thinking route 80 to avoid the heat but looking at the weather maps today it looks like we’ll hit it either way and also every one suggests route 70.
Is there any places I should avoid at any certain time of day? We are leaving Thursday night or Friday morning.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #13

I would drive I70 all the way through Columbus, Ohio. I would avoid that area between 7 AM and 9 AM and also during the afternoon rush traffic. It is good road and not difficult, but it does get very busy at times. Do NOT take the bypass around Columbus. Adds miles and has more rush traffic than I 70.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #14

We are on the road PA was one lane construction a little of a pain but we did it at night, we are in Ohio now and will avoid the bypass, thanks for all the replys.