Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
No Trucks Allowed

Often while in a small town or city outskirts , trying to see the local sights and keeping off the main drag, you see signs with the picture of a truck with a red cross threw it meaning no trucks. I being a class a at 38K lbs divert from my route to avoid these roads thinking that either we are over sized or over weight. The wife argues that these signs are just to keep out commercial rigs and that motorhomes are permitted.
Can I get clarification?
Also while on the small byways and blue highways we cross bridges that we are overweight for. If I am given warning before taking this route that there are weight restrictions ahead I divert, however if they sneak up on me I cross anyway. I always divert for lower overhead clearances than I am rated for though!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
To help with the restricted weight routes get a copy of Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, this will not only list low clearance routes but restricted routes also.

D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

First, yes the restrictions are for commercial vehicles. Depending on the state regulations, many times cities violate the law by restricting trucks without also including a weight class. No trucks, no pickups?

Second, any vehicle, commercial or not, has the "Right of Access", i.e the ability to travel a street if it is the only way to get to the destination.

Think about it, a house on a truck restricted street could never have a furniture delivery if there was no "Right of Access".

When we were pulling the Travel Supreme trailer with the Volvo tractor, several times the road to the campground had a truck restriction and the road was the only way in.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have you purchased a bridge lately. If you disregard weight limits and you do damage YOU are liable. Plus you might loose your RV in the process ending in a creek 20' below. As to the truck restriction unless there is a weight or length restriction your good to go, but then again city streets can have narrow turns.

LEN
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Good point on weight restrictions. That is why I use weight and height knowledgeable GPS software that checks as you are traveling including when you make turns you didn't plan for. There are maps and books that can warn of restrictions but they are not dynamic as you move.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Sometimes "No Trucks" is used instead of "Low Clearance."
Old 09-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Another reason for 'no trucks' is their noisy brakes coming through town. With our 40' MH we never had an issue with driving the 'car' route.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

It appears that the no trucks sign usage varies by state and municipality. I don't believe they apply to motorhomes. However, I choose to obey them. In a serious pinch, I will disobey one, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

I am unconcerned about the intent or the actual rule supporting the signs. I see see them as a valuable warning. If big rigs do not frequent a street, you can rest assured that the trees will not be beaten back and the slack phone and cable lines have not been culled out. Furthermore, you may find it nearly impossible to turn in some of the intersections when there are parked cars encroaching on the intersections, or they may have those tiny residential roundabouts that will force me to drive over the curb.

Of course, height restrictions are absolute. I see weight restrictions the same way. I don't know how much over weight the bridges will actually tolerate, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
It appears that the no trucks sign usage varies by state and municipality. I don't believe they apply to motorhomes. However, I choose to obey them. In a serious pinch, I will disobey one, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

I am unconcerned about the intent or the actual rule supporting the signs. I see see them as a valuable warning. If big rigs do not frequent a street, you can rest assured that the trees will not be beaten back and the slack phone and cable lines have not been culled out. Furthermore, you may find it nearly impossible to turn in some of the intersections when there are parked cars encroaching on the intersections, or they may have those tiny residential roundabouts that will force me to drive over the curb.

Of course, height restrictions are absolute. I see weight restrictions the same way. I don't know how much over weight the bridges will actually tolerate, and I don't want to find out the hard way.
Well said!